Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rachel_lagiakos

countertop/cabinet/backsplash color and movement combinations ?'s

Rachel L
2 years ago

Mixing and matching whites

- My cabinets are a pretty neutral/cool white.

- The countertop I'm weighing up is described as an alabaster base with dark & light veining

How well do these pair? I'm worried about it looking "off"?

Next question. This countertop has a fair bit of movement. Is this going to restrict my backsplash choices. I've had my eye on a herringbone backsplash like this.

- Is this going to be too much going on in combination with the veining of the countertop?

- Am I going to have to find a tile base colors that matches the countertops alabaster white base, or should the tile match the cooler/neutral white of my cabinet ?

Charlestown Loft · More Info

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!! :)

Comments (15)

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

The countertops appear too yellow for the white cabinets. I think you need to keep looking. Also the backsplash will make it all look way too busy. Make sure you have lightbulbs that are not making things look a bit more yellow too. Try led daylight type bulbs, 3000 or preferably 4000.

Rachel L thanked cat_ky
  • Becky H
    2 years ago

Im using calcatta laza in my house with bedrosian cloe subway tile you could do in a herringbone pattern. what color are your cabinets? mine will be pure white

Rachel L thanked Becky H
  • Rachel L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Becky H my cabinets seem to be a pure white too.

@cat_ky it's a contractor's spotlight I have in the apartment (ceiling lights arent in yet), so it's a pretty white light. I didn't get so much of a yellow feel for this countertop in the house, but you've hit the nail on my main concern.

• eld6161
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I just did Sikestone Calcutta Gold eith my Artic White kitchen cabinets.I did Sikestone Lagoon with my bright white vanity in my bathroom. The Lagoon gives off a gray vibe which was fine there.

Your counter choice is not a good match for your cabinetry. You need a brighter white.

Rachel L thanked eld6161
  • Rachel L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cat_ky good call about the lighting. It was a sunny day yesterday so I took some photos in natural light. I don't think I'm getting as much yellow in natural light (so maybe it is the contractor spotlight after all), though are you all still seeing yellow? Does the pairing look a little better in these pics?

@eld6161 so there was a white stone that was far closer to my cabinetry available. The woman in the stone shop said she recommends people away from matching colors as the stone just gets lost, and instead recommended going with a little contrast. Now I dont know what the right answer is?!

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Yes, I still see yellow in your newest pictures. Get your permanent lighting installed before you choose a countertop and get the countertop installed before you choose a backsplash. You do not want a big mistake. The second from the bottom picture, looks very gray.

• itsourcasa
    2 years ago

I'm not a fan of that counter with your cabinets. Any other options?

• eld6161
    2 years ago

I would go with the closest to your cabinets in terms of white.
    I disagree with the stone shop woman. You will be unhappy with that choice.
    It’s too off.

• Rachel L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@cat_ky so I'm wondering if the second from the bottom appears grey to you because I have that white plank of wood under it, hiding the yellow wood interior of the cabinetry which may be casting a yellowness to the sample countertop and making this the most realistic of the photos? Even the last photo where it is next to my wall (and not much exposed wood) looks grey too. Is that theory possible?? I'd happily have grey, but definitely not yellow!! If it is still yellow, then I have to think again indeed.

These are the two pics again so you dont have to go hunting above :)

• Rachel L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Anyone like this option better? It matches the white of the cabinetry, but I'm worried it will fade away. It is called Cambria Travella @itsourcasa @eld6161

• Rachel L
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kept looking like suggested. After what felt like going to a million stone shops, here are the top three contenders. Any thoughts Houzzers?

• J Jewels
    2 years ago

What countertop did you choose?

• cprms
    2 years ago

Hope you picked the Travella. I am using that one and it is so nice!

• Susan Crabtree
    2 years ago

Can someone post pics of Travella? I can't seem to find any.