Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthj98

Help me decided whether to throw this plant out!

I believe this is a kalanchoe. A friend was going to throw it out and I decided to take it and maybe save it. Now I regret taking it. Is this worth saving? I have a lot on my to-do list and I am wondering whether this, in fact, will become a nice looking green plant one day---and is worth the work that needs to be done to this plant.

Comments (18)

• Esther-B, Zone 7a
    2 years ago

Aside from the periods of insufficient light which caused the small new leaves and wider spaces between them, you could just trim off the undulating branches of the plant and choose some straight sections to root, to produce some new straighter plants. They will eventually droop, as that seems to be the habit of this particular plant, but with better light, they won't look so weirdly undulating.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Esther-B, Zone 7a
  • newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I could do that. But I've decided to throw it out. Too much effort. I purchased two white kalanchoe a couple of months ago that are smaller, but look so much better. I guess when space is at a premium, sometimes things have got to go!

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    2 years ago

Your new kalanchoes will eventually look the same way unless you can give them more light.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, I agree with you Dave. I've come to realize that my house is not that great for houseplants. Most of the windows I can use are southwest facing. But I have shade trees. That means I get the sun in winter when it is weak and I also have it early spring. Then the shade trees leaf out and sun is minimal. (I also have no south facing windows.) I am coming to terms with the fact that I need to bring some of the plants outside for the summer season in order to keep them looking good.

• hellkitchenguy Manuel
    2 years ago

How about pruning it harshly, then placing it outside under one of those trees. Water it once in a while, and let it surprise you. Very little effort involved

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked hellkitchenguy Manuel
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hmmm . . . now that does sound like a good idea hellkitchenguy. I am wondering whether I should repot it (might be difficult since my guess is that it's been in the pot a long time). I guess it wouldn't hurt to do as you suggest. I can give it a chance and see what happens.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Those Kalanchoes are manipulated by the growers with light and chemicals to produce compact, floriferous specimens for sale. Once they're in your home they’ll never return to the way they looked when bought unless you have the skills and tools which the professionals do. They can be attractive plants if pruned and given lots of light but they'll still be rangier than the commercial specimens.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That makes sense floral. I did happen to see a specimen brought in by a member of my horticultural society a couple of years ago, and I was impressed with it. I'm not sure what kind of environment this member had her kalanchoe growing in.

So, floral, I can bring it outdoors, but I should set my expectations low. I guess as plant lovers, we like to see things flourish. So I will give it a haircut and get it out of my house. It's taking up too much room indoors!

Original Author
    2 years ago

My decision: Prune, repot and take outdoors for the summer season! And wait and see how it develops---with some hope but no expectations!

• rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    2 years ago

Sure it vould be nice plant...but they are very inexpensive and plentiful. I would whack it even more than socks suggested; all the way to thick stems. It has that Bonsia-style look.... They are very easy to grow...

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked rina_Ontario,Canada 5a
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Good point to add rina---inexpensive! OK, I'll repot and prune it a lot. Now I'm curous as to how it will grow!

Original Author
    2 years ago

Repotted and pruned. Seems like too many stems to me. What do you think?

• natureinspiredM_ 6B NJ
    2 years ago

I would suggest to remove all the top branches and cut back the bottom three to the second bud node, else you will get too many new shoots all over and the top will become leggy again. Kalanchoes respond really well to pruning. they root readily as well. you can stick some prunned branches in a shady moist area and should root in a week. i would also suggest that you keep them out of direct sun if keeping outdoors during summer. i have a lot of kalanchoes that are 4 years or older (i just cant throw away the potted gifts after they are done blooming). They remain indoors year round and bloom profusely during winter. i give them hard prun in spring and change the potting soil. thats about the only chore that i have around these beautiful plants. if they get too leggy i cut back some branches as needed and within few weeks they come back with 5-6 branches.

i keep those in an area where they get about 2 hours of morning sun in summer and about 4 hrs in winter. no fertilizer except for the fresh amended soil change.

two of my ‘pet’ kelanchoes yesterday:

both 5 years old and were pruned in late April.

i recently archived all older phone pictures so dont have the spectacular blooms to share, but found this one from February….the plant had four more somilar spikes that are not shown in this picture and a lot of new buds at the time of taking this picture:

I have orange, white, double red and double yellow - all are beautiful and bloom for months - especially the orange one shown here.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked natureinspiredM_ 6B NJ
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Wow, you've done a good job natureinspired! So I've prune my plant some more and will try to get a picture to show you later today.

It's really good to see the blooms you have and hear how you manage to bring your kalanchoe to bloom. Gives me hope! Even the plants (without blooms) look very nice.

So my plant is outside and will remain there until September. I am so glad it is not taking up so much space in my house anymore.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Did I cut too much?

• natureinspiredM_ 6B NJ
    2 years ago

That looks good to me.

make sure it is kept in a shady location (under a tree is perfect). is your pot draining well? what is the outer cover?make sure water wont get accumulated between the pot and the covering which looks to be made of palstic to me. the roots must not be waterlogged, thats one thing this plant dislikes. this is even more relevant when it will be working hard to put out new growth.

Goodluck… will be waiting for picture of the new growth.

next time you prun it, you can create miniatur ’tree’ as well. thats what i am experimenting with in the below picture. the container assembly is tiny with only abou 2.5” dia and depth for the smaller two and 3” space in the central one. i bought it without thinking much because of how cute it looked and couldnt use for anything. Hardly any space to grow something decent as most plants have deep roits. it just sat there in the garage for two years. finally this year i hav potted up some pruning leftovers of the kalanchoes. have been dowing well for three months now.

newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada thanked natureinspiredM_ 6B NJ
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I will keep it in a shady spot. I've removed the outer cover so it can drain better---as you suggested.

Your miniature trees are cool. So is that container! Great idea!

I do hope I will have a picture of a nice plant to post here later.

Thanks for sharing your ideas and successes. It's been very helpful!