Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_213956864

Calacatta plata by viatera pictures?

HU-213956864
2 years ago

Has anyone used calacatta plata quartz by LG Hausys Viatera in their homes? I want to purchase it but there are no slabs in my area and I can’t find many pictures online. If anyone can post pictures or reviews I would much appreciate it!

Comments (56)

• abrown54
    2 years ago

thank you!!! i just dont want the lines to be too brown my hsrdware is gold like yours

• abrown54
    2 years ago

@hadleyhoffman why did you choose the sol over plata

• hadleyhoffman
    2 years ago

The lines on the Sol were softer all around - you can see in the warehouse pic I took the Plata’s lines are overall darker and I was looking for something less intense. They’re both gorgeous though, and prettier than any of the many (….many) others I looked at!

• abrown54
    2 years ago

@hadleyhoffman did you look at cosentino silestone calacatta gold?

• hadleyhoffman
    2 years ago

I did, but only the 12 x 12 sample, not a full slab - it was very similar to the Plata, with bolder lines than the Sol, but it was very slightly grey when compared next to the bright white of the LG. It might not even be noticeable unless you had the two side by side.

• Stephanie
    2 years ago

hadleyhoffman would you say there is too much gold in sol if you had no other gold in the house?

• hadleyhoffman
    2 years ago

I really don’t think so - it’s not even a true gold, more like a soft light brown. And there are still quite a bit, or even more, of the gray striations.

• Stephanie
    2 years ago

Thank you! I was hoping you’d say that:)

• K H
    2 years ago

@hadleyhoffman We are in between the Calacatta Sol and Plata as well and have yet to see the slabs in person. We were leaving more towards the Plata as we have no gold or brown on our kitchen since it looks like the Sol has some gold lines in it. Would you say that the Plata has dark veins as shown on you pictures you shared? I’m a bit shocked to see how dark grey/intense the grey veins are on your pictures as we want something more subtle.
    One more question: would you say that the white is starch white? Compared to Silestone Calacatta Classic, the LG Viatera Calacatta is much more bright white. Thanks for your feedback.

• Stephanie
    2 years ago

Here are pics I got of the plata recently if that helps:)

• K H
    2 years ago

Thank you @Stephanie. This is very helpful. I was hoping the full slab would like like on your pictures. :)
    Have you decided on which one to go with for your kitchen?

• Stephanie
    2 years ago

I ended up going with the sol, we don’t really have any gold either but I felt like it was subtle enough and I liked the overall movement of the Sol better. I couldn’t get a good pic at the warehouse, but our fabricator has an island in their showroom. I’ll add pics

• K H
    2 years ago

Thank you. The Sol does look very subtle. Arghh…it’s so hard making a decision…

• Stephanie
    2 years ago

It is so hard! It took me months to finally decide and during that time the price jumped 😭
    We still don’t have them installed, so I’m just hoping I love it

• Faye Chu
    2 years ago

I'm also in love with Sol! What color cabinet would go well? For backsplash i'm thinking of Bedrosian Cloe!

• Lynn F
    2 years ago

I am considering the Calcutta Sol. Hadleyhoffman your pictures look fantastic. Is it a honed (matte) finish or it is a polished finish. Also what is your thickness? Is there a particular edging selection?

• Lynn F
    2 years ago

@Stephanie, what is the square foot pricing that you received?

• hadleyhoffman
    2 years ago

Lynn it is considered a polished finish, which made me a little nervous, but it’s in no way shiny like a polished granite would be. The thickness is 1 1/4 inch - I don’t think we had an option for any other thickness? As far as edges, I believe that has to do with which fabricator you go to since they’re cutting it all up, but we just went with an eased/rounded edge. I had my heart set on a two inch mitered edge on the island but we would have had to cut some off of our cabinets (or something to that effect) so it wasn’t worth it….good luck choosing, I know I lost a lot of sleep over it!!

• Lynn F
    2 years ago

Thank you for your response. I thought after agonizing over cabinets, it would be easy sailing. Your pictures however sealed my choice with Calcutta Sol. My cabinets are the the color of the veining, they look white but actually are greyish (close to your color). I was leaning toward Silestone Calcutta Gold but I like the whiteness of Sol and the softer veining and brown streaks for warmth. But now your pictures got me thinking to change my brushed nickel hardware. I definitely have decision fatigue. Thanks again!

• Stephanie
    2 years ago

@Lynn I didn’t get it priced that way, I just got a total cost
    2 full slabs with installation (and all the other extra costs of fabrication) was about $8000 total

• Lynn F
    2 years ago

Thanks Stephanie! That's in the ball park of the quote I received (~ $9000) but I have a waterfall on one side of island and small bar area.

• Lynn F
    2 years ago

Very nice.

• Lynn F
    2 years ago

@abrown54 - what handles are those? brand/color?

• abrown54
    2 years ago

@Lynn F top knobs is the brand honey bronze color

• hadleyhoffman
    2 years ago

Ours is honey bronze from Top Knobs also! The perfect gold/brass color.

• lrodbart
    2 years ago

I recently used Viatera calacatta plata in my kitchen. It is very nice. Bright white background with subtle light gray wide veins and some darker narrow gray veins. Lots of white spaces. Considered the Viatera calacatta sol, but didn’t want the brownish veins and it looked a little busier. Also considered Silestone calacatta gold, but didn’t want the off white background. It was also busier than the plata.

• K H
    2 years ago

@Irodbart Do you mind sharing a picture of the Plata installed? I’m still indecisive and between the Plata, Sol and Silestone Calacatta Gold. Thanks.

• lrodbart
    2 years ago

A few pictures of Plata

• Lynn F
    2 years ago

Beautiful! The template for my Viatera Calcutta Sol was done this week. I'm getting excited. Any recommendations on a faucet?

• K H
    2 years ago

@Irodbart Very nice! I’m sold on the Plata. Perfect amount of veining. Thank you for sharing your pics.

• hadleyhoffman
    2 years ago

Lynn F, I went with a Delta touch faucet (Chanpagne Bronze) - something I thought would be useless but now can't live without! I also got the matching Delta disposal button, soap pump, and glass rinser (another 'useless' thing I can't live without now!)

• Melinda Bettencourt
    2 years ago

Just had plata installed 2 days ago. Already has metal markings from a belt buckle 🙄. Now I’m parananoid about putting ANYTHING on it. Especially anything that’s metal.

How’s everyone else’s?

• lrodbart
    2 years ago

I have had my countertops for about 6 weeks. A few issues early on, but now things are good. About a week after installation, I got some very light ink marks on the top. Installer tried to remove with acetone. Ink didn’t come out, but acetone rubbed off the shine a little. Although I can barely see the ink, I can see where the acetone was applied when the light hits it. Therefore, I recommend that you don’t use acetone. Soon after that, I got some other small black marks in a few places (not sure what caused them). At that point, I was worried. I read that Viatera recommended bar keepers friend. I tried that and the black marks came out with the finish intact. No issues since then.

• K H
    2 years ago

Oh geesh. We have yet to decide on our countertop. Thought I was set on the Viatera Plata but it sounds like the stark white of the Viatera could be a pain to keep clean. Now, that worries me as I don’t want to baby my countertop. Thought quartz is non porous and stain resistant. Doesn’t look like it is. I wonder if it’s a quality issue or a general white Quartz issue?! Maybe it’s less of a headache to go with an off-white, such as the Silestone Calacatta gold? Anybody who has the Calacatta Gold had issues with stains?

• hadleyhoffman
    last year

I agree with lrodbat, with Barkeepers and a magic eraser we’ve had no problems at all. And with three young kids we’re the opposite of gentle on them!

• Christina Schiotis Lerner
    last year

@abrown54 are those Cloe tiles by Bedrosians? Looks like we got the same tile and just ordered LG Viatera Calacatta Plata.

• Faye Chu
    last year

What color cabinet did everyone used ?

• Jessica
    last year

Wanted to post some pictures from our new build as I also had a very hard time finding photos of this counter when we were selecting. The material definitely is a true white and certainly as others have mentioned has a lot of empty space between veining and is pretty subtle in person (lighting changes how it looks too). I was initially not in love with it when it was installed but it’s grown on me. Very small selection of places to view any full slabs when we were choosing and it was a difficult process. We used this in our kitchen and a couple bathrooms. I feel the material is very modern and sleek. Since we used a lot of this material it’s nice it’s a little more simple as it’s not overwhelming. Overall happy with the decision seeing it with the rest of our selections. Please ignore the messes and incomplete finishes in photos. Hopefully this helps someone else :-)

• Jessica
    last year

I should’ve mentioned that this is the Viatera Plata. See additional pictures.

• carinaamato
    last year

@jessica would you mind sharing the total cost for the kitchen portion of the quartz? Our new kitchen is almost identical layout and trying to get an idea of what to expect. Thanks!

• Jessica
    last year

@carinaamato

Hello! This is the price we paid for kitchen counters, waterfall, backsplash. This total price also includes a bar area that I did not originally post a picture of.

Unfortunately, they did not split the bar area out from the price above. However, I did get quotes from other places and another spot I visited quoted me about $17k total for the kitchen counters, backsplash and waterfall edge. I would say that the range would likely be about $17-$20kish with a kitchen of this size if incorporating the backsplash and waterfall edges. Hope this helps!

• carinaamato
    last year

@jessica thank you so much!! Very helpful! :)

• melissa h
    last year

with your calacatta plata installed in your kitchen, have you had any issues with staining? Are you happy with your purchase? We are building now and I am considering it.

• Jessica
    last year

@melissa h no issues with staining! i will admit that the counter can get marked up pretty easily at times BUT barkeeper's friend has gotten everything out of the counter. We had a guest accidentally cut directly onto the countertop and leave a mark, but I got it out no problem. Same thing with any food that may leave a little bit of coloring behind when wiped up. I am happy with my purchase the only thing I will say is there is A LOT of white space, and I didn't see my full slabs before they were installed so I was a little surprised by this. I would just make sure you *actually* go to see your slabs in person before installation and if you love them then, then you will be good! I love how easy the slabs are to clean and maintain. I REALLY wanted marble, but everyone scared me away. I do tend to be a messy cook and enjoy hosting and being in the kitchen a lot and given how many marks I've already gotten on my countertop (but successfully removed) I can only imagine how differently things would've been with marble!

• Jessica
    last year

@melissa h - Also, the bar keeper's friend was recommended to me by the company that sold me and installed the countertops. I was having an impossible time getting some scuffs/stains out of the countertop left behind by the builder when we moved in, and this was what the company recommended to me, and I haven't had a problem since. I would just confirm this with your installer and test a tiny area before you start using.

• lrodbart
    last year

My experience has been the same. Countertops do get some scuff marks and food stains that don’t wipe clean with soap and water. However, they all have come out with Bar Keepers friend soft cleanser (not the powder).

• Deb Clein
    10 months ago

Need to decide soon on my countertops. Is the Bar Keepers friend the liquid or powder that everyone is using? Would you order this quartz again?

• Jessica
    10 months ago
    last modified: 10 months ago

@Deb Clein, Bar Keeper's Friend Soft Cleanser for me! Yes - I would order this quartz again. It's a nice clean white color and the veining is minimal / less busy than some others which is what I like about it. The Plata & Sol seem to be very popular right now! Also - being able to clean the counters easily and not worry about scuffs/marks is a major plus for me.

• Sharon Costa
    7 months ago

What backsplash to use with Calacatta Plata?