Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantladyco

Ipomea leptophylla (Desert Morning glory)

plantladyco
2 years ago

Quite a few years ago I bought a tuber of this plant. It grew into a substantial blooming plant...until

it disappeared. Don't know if it was taken by an animal or a human....but it's gone

I cannot find a tuber to buy.

I've tried seeds many times. I can germinate them, but not keep them alive.

Any thoughts about where i could fins a tuber to buy?

Thanks

Comments (14)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    2 years ago

Sorry, I don't know where to buy the tuber, but I will say I've been able to grow them from seed to big blooming plants on several occasions, but then they disappear. I seem to remember they did not come back after a cold winter. Wishing you well in your search.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    2 years ago

We have wet winters in San Antonio. That may be why mine didn't come back.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    2 years ago

I found them at High Country Gardens years ago. Mine died also. I think they are not fond of limestone based soils but like sandstone based soils better.

• plantladyco
    Original Author
    2 years ago

thanks all.

They grow on the prairie East of me (Colorado Springs)

I've tried numerous times to dig up a plant (there are many) but it's too dry out there and they are too deep.

We always have dry Winters here.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    2 years ago

Ragna; how did you get your seeds to germinate? Do you remember when you planted them and how you treated them? Did you scarify them? Soak them? Maybe then plantlady could have success with seeds. Alplains has the seeds.

• Jay 6a Chicago
    2 years ago

I was having difficulty germinating the perennial morning glory Ipomoea pandurata, and then I tried scarifying them with sandpaper to breach the seed coats. I then put them in a sealed plastic container with a little water for moisture, and waited a few days until the radicals started showing. I think these tuberous perennial Ipomoea are a lot more difficult than the annuals. I did start my large pandurata from a root cutting. That's another option, but I would recommend digging as deep as possible if trying to use a root cutting. I used a lot of Rootone and helicopter surveillance while babying that cutting, since I had heard it was virtually impossible to grow root cuttings. Before I scarified them they had been soaking in water for several days doing nothing.

• plantladyco
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have no trouble germinating seeds.

My trouble is keeping the seedlings alive.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    2 years ago

What was your growing medium in your pot? Did you make it a fast draining mix?

• plantladyco
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Very light seed starting mix.

Easy germination, but seedling get to a certain size and fade away.

I start lots of seeds, so I'm pretty good at this.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    2 years ago

I know that some people who grow natives from dry areas will have differnt levels of grit in the planting pot so the seeds do not damp off as the root gets longer. I do this with good result. It is just a suggestion. Also the use of a fungicide to the soil before germination and then some later on. I know some people recommend that for sensitive xeric seeds. They need the water to germinate but then they are rot sensitive. Just suggestions given sinse you are having a problem.. I mix my own seeding mix and I add a fair amount of perlite (NOT vermiculite) to the soil if nothing else.. On deep growing tubers I might start them in deep pots so I do not have to move them so I will do soil layering in them .

• plantladyco
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for the ideas.

When i transplant the seedlings I do put them in very deep pots.

Maybe i need a different potting mix.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    2 years ago

I was just thinking that Plantd of the Southwest might have plants growing. They sell the seeds but if they have plants ; I don't know if they will mail the plants out. Ipomoea leptophylla. They are in Santa Fee and Albuquerqui. I always stop and get stuff from them when I am in town.

• plantladyco
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I got my original tuber from them many years ago, but they no longer sell plants by mail.