Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andria564

Bathroom Design Plans back from K&D Designer

andria564
2 years ago

Attached is the layout our K&D designer sent back. I just feel it can be improved. This is a shower leaking tear out to studs situation so vanities, shower, tub are roughly where they are now for plumbing.

Comments (33)

• bpath
    2 years ago

Where are the shower controls?

Our vanity has outlets on the side walls, which I like because we usually have"stuff" against the back wall, or on the counter, and we don't have to reach over to plug in the blow drier etc.

Can you put a pocket door in the toilet room?

Where do those two doors lead, and why do they open out from the bathroom instead of into it?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

The tub may be difficult to clean inside and outside because of it being too close to the walls.

Does it snow where this bathroom is located?

• fissfiss
    2 years ago

I agree with Mark about cleaning around the tub...and it is so pretty, but quite hidden...and a bench in the shower is really nice, not just for leg shaving, but for showering those with temporary disabilities. We are an active family and we get broken from time to time.
    Definitely take the tile to the ceiling.
    The shower probably does not need to be 48” wide, there are shorter tubs, and, if your relationship can survive even the suggestion of it, one vanity could be smaller than the other.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

I would consider angling the tub and reducing the size of the shower. Would you consider a walk in shower (no door)? Or do you like having a door?

If things need to stay where they were, what could be improved in your mind?

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tartanmeup

In what way? What are your concerns seeing this plan? Does it meet your design brief? Is it the same configuration you're replacing and you wanted some layout change? Is this an ensuite or a main family bathroom? Can you identify the doors and provide more measurements? Attaching below the current layout with measurements. This is an ensuite. It forms the right corner of the house so we are stuck with size but can reconfigure plumbing some. I feel like she literally spit out an exact version of a layout I already did with more pictures added. I needed advice and not re-iteration, if that makes sense. Like you do this, tell me your thoughts and why.

-that's a mighty large shower to clean (just one shower head for that size?) Hubby and I use this, we do not shower together. He stretches in the shower, ha.

-there's no way I'm settling for that amount of grout in a new bathroom :) Epoxy grout should help but yeah I know it's a lot of tile

-If I really want a product niche, is this the best place for it or can it be hidden from view? (Can I easily shave my legs in this shower?) Remember how I said she spit my plan back out, well I had originally had the left half wall as full glass, like this yes - hide niche on left

-how will I clean around the freestanding tub? (Is this tub really comfortable for long soaks?) Tub was going to be rectangular but yes cleaning around with a vacuum hose and mop (cleaning team usually handles - but yes after 6yr old got water everywhere I see concerns (he has 2 others tubs to bathe in though)

-will the tub impede my reach of the windows and what kind of low-maintenance window treatments do I need? The view left is my ACTIVE gardener neighbors driveway/side garden and back window is toward the street. I am thinking of frosting windows and just putting plantation over, right now they have 3 inch faux wood blinds (always closed because of neighbor).

-where would I put my stuff when I'm in the tub? I never use the tub. I was thinking tray or tub table. In neighborhood all homes have tubs in masters so I need one.

-will I have enough storage with those vanities? Right now hubby's vanity is 64 and mine is 75 roughly (angled corner piece).

-should I consider recessed medicine cabinets as well? I would rather have a larger mirror which deters this

-the mirrors look small for the space Ignore that, she is doing layout, cabinet specs for handoff to builder. I will be purchasing mirrors, lighting, etc. She is designing but not picking out all furnishes.

-I don't want a water closet without a sink (personal preference) I don't think we have an option on this one, it's too small for a sink, that's existing now.

-might as well tile to the ceiling, yep my thought too

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@bpath

Shower controls are behind front half wall.

On the plugs, yes this looks ridiculous. However, she is well aware my electricians have been with me daily for the last 7 months on my commercial project. They will be doing this job. I need layout and then we will handle it. I just don't want plugs in vanity drawers. I figured out today that my flat iron stays fully on for awhile plugged in, yikes.

I don't think a pocket door would work just because that's the only wall with towel hooks with anchors for bath towels and I need those more.

The door next to the toilet leads to a large walk-in closet. The door next to that door goes from master into bathroom. Attached the original blueprint.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect

Nope we are in northern Florida I think we have had flurries 2x in 13 years here

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@fissfiss

The tub I want a certain interior length. My mom has a 60inch Kohler Archer, which for that length has a pretty good interior size. It's too small for my husband, who takes a bath 2x a year but whatever. We need a 66" tub. The vanities don't need to be the same length but as you can tell there is no linen closet although the walk-in is large so I would like to keep them a good size but in proportion and I REFUSE to share with him. I don't need water all over my stuff.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

anj_p

Tried angling the tub and it creates an even harder to clean corner gap between the windows. Evereything needs to stay in the general area. The tub can be moved around a little, same with shower. I have gone through all sorts of scenarios this one, even thought wet room. I am allergic to the cold. We live in northern Florida. Whatever we end up with I need to stay warm in the shower, ha.

• bpath
    2 years ago

If bath towels are on the toilet room wall, where are they when you are innin the shower and then step out? where is the mat? always in front of the shower door?

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is a rough full picture bottom is closet, right is master. The door going into the bathroom shown correctly here it opens out of the bathroom into the room, brain fart when I was explaining that.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the current layout of the shower and bath. The shower is leaking out of the half wall under the vanity. So it all comes out 🤦‍♀️. This shower leaked before and apparently the original builders fix has caused this issue now. I hate the corner tub because I cannot really stretch out without a component of it jabbing into me and it’s massive but always. I would like to get rid of the neo angle as I feel it’s a little dated and as we have now the door is pretty small. Would like frameless glass or close to it.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I even looked at this wet room idea but hesitant because they don’t do them a lot here, even if we did an alcove they need to know how to slope, etc. but we would need a door and a heater in the ceiling.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bpath Get towel off hook, hang over glass, shower, grab towel from glass (shower is big enough it doesn’t get wet), then put towel on hook. Yes, bathmat stays down in front of shower at all times.

• happyleg
    2 years ago

You don't need 2 vanities! That should help. If one sink needs lower do a double sink with the 2nd at a lower part.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

No we do not need 2 vanities, however this is part of how we keep our marriage sane. 😁

• fissfiss
    2 years ago

A wet room gives you a drafty shower, which you won’t like. I think if you make the shower 42 or 36 wide, it will still be really spacious and make a big difference to the tub. I do actually like the idea that the vanities match, but you could save an inch or two or three with a different choice of vanity. It will be really pretty.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

What is a "K&D Designer"?

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

"The shower is leaking out of the half wall under the vanity. So it all comes out 🤦‍♀️. This shower leaked before and apparently the original builders fix has caused this issue now."

From my years of reading this forum, I've learnt that understanding the reasons behind such issues is as paramount as an optimized layout. Your reno team needs to ensure the waterproofing is done correctly this time so the issues don't re-occur. Otherwise, it's just money down the drain.

Back to the layout. The appeal of a tub under windows is usually the view but if they're not stellar and the windows will be frosted, would switching the tub and vanity make sense? Now, I must admit that I initially thought the shower was going to be 12 feet x 48 inches (time for glasses...!) Regardless, 6 feet x 4 feet is a pretty large shower. Reducing the shower to 5 feet x 4 feet might allow for a linen storage unit.

I'd forsake a water closet for space gain but without measurements and knowing the extent of your reno, don't know if this can be a consideration for you.

For warmth in the bathroom, many people recommend a heated floor. Might be worth looking into?

Good luck!

• bpath
    2 years ago

Does that style of tub require a floor filler? Can it be within the tub instead? It seems like that type of filler would always bet in the way of getting to the windows and cleaning behind the tub.

• bpath
    2 years ago

Do you and your husband have the same storage needs at the vanity? I notice that in most bathrooms the his-n-hers vanities and storage are pretty much the same, but I think men and women have different storage needs.

• nhb22
    2 years ago

andria564 - We had towel hooks directly behind a pocket door. Never a problem interfering with the door.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@bpath Yes freestanding would have a floor filler. I was going to do deckmount but wondering how they will access it as it’s against an exterior wall on a slab. I don’t think the windows are high enough to do wall mount but maybe.
    My husband stores clothes in his 2 large drawers and toiletries on the top drawer. Cabinet plan was originally was 2 66” center sink base 24” and with 21” drawer banks in each side.
    My husband is at the I don’t care, get it done point so he doesn’t care as long as he can put his stuff somewhere.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@nhb22 I love pocket doors but I don’t think I want to add more. The door swings in now and works. Toilet room is getting a new toilet and obviously floor but otherwise I think should remain intact.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@ Mark Bischak My NyQuil brain didn’t think she was deserving of the Kitchen and Bath designer title I guess.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tartanmeup Will try the smaller shower on the design app I have and see if it’ll work. Must have is 2 vanities, toilet closet, tub and separate shower. Vanity and toilet closet are marriage peace makers.

• andria564
    Original Author
    2 years ago

There is also a weird, intended for toilet closet small window in there so it would be awkward.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Good answer . . . sadly.

• Jennifer K
    2 years ago

If I were doing this, I'd be less concerned about what other houses in my area had (tub, no wet room, etc.) than about what I want. As long as there is a tub somewhere in your house, you won't be hurting resale value-- especially if your master bath is spacious, serene and comfy.

From what you've said, I think you should prioritize the following:

• 2 vanities, each adapted to its primary user
    • linen closet
    • large shower suitable for dancing ;)
    • very large-format tile or quartz veneer so that grout won't be an issue

Anything that interferes with the first 3 on that list is worth reconsidering whether you really want it.

• PRO
    maecom technology
    2 years ago

@fissfissyes it would have been near perfect it the vanities match.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

"Must have is 2 vanities, toilet closet, tub and separate shower. Vanity and toilet closet are marriage peace makers."

My idea kept both vanities. I simply suggested switching the location of the vanity with the tub on that left wall. If you must have full walls and a door for the toilet, you must. I'm not a bath designer so don't know the minimum footprint required for a water closet. Did I read correctly that your husband stores clothes in his bathroom vanity drawers? Does the bedroom lack clothes storage?

Without changing the location or size of any element, I'm not sure how many different layouts the designer could have proposed.

• PRO
    Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    2 years ago

Tub filler could be wall mounted below the window, saving a few $$$ both in cost of the filler and possibly labor.

Not a fan of 1/2 tiled walls so I would eliminate all once they clear the cabinet, and install the valves under the head for better temp control unless you have 5' long elastic arms. This also should save $$$ and open up the room some.

I do like "head knocker" cabinets above the toilet for storage if you can get them about 8" deep.