Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tinam1962

What's for dinner?

Tina Marie
2 years ago

I had a craving for a burger. It's rare I eat a bun, but I went all out tonight. Burgers, fresh (cherokee purple!) tomatoes and cukes, corn-on-the-cob from the market today and baked beans. I am going to miss all the fresh produce in a few months!!

What about you?

Comments (43)

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

I made a big pasta salad (with italian type dressing, not mayo) with chicken and mozzarella chunks, cherry tomatoes, peppers, onion, etc (all in one bowl). Easy and plenty left over for lunch! It’s 90 and poor air quality here so needed something light.

Tina Marie thanked Sueb20
  • User
    2 years ago

R made pasta and i had home grown tomatoes and basil and my preserved lemons

for a pasta fresca with homemade broiled bread and a very fine Cab.

Tina Marie thanked User
  • Funkyart
    2 years ago

I am working late tonight so just grabbed a quick salad to eat at my desk:

• Butter lettuce
    • broccoli
    • shallots
    • kumato tomatoes
    • turkey pepperoni
    • chickpeas
    • Ken's caesar dressing (don't judge-- i CAN make dressing but do not always)

I also have a tall glass of icy ginger peach iced tea (fresh brewed)

I started back on intermittent fasting so I need to finish it quickly!

Tina Marie thanked Funkyart
  • Zalco/bring back Sophie!
    2 years ago

It's going to be BLTs, with a corn salad for dinner over here. Dessert is apricots and cream.

Tina Marie thanked Zalco/bring back Sophie!
  • happy2b…gw
    2 years ago

I served seared tuna steaks, with cucumber onion salad and steamed orange squash. The cucumber was the first one from my garden which is struggling this summer, not sure why. The orange squash new to me tastes like butter. I purchased it from the local farm. Ice cream for dessert.

Tina Marie thanked happy2b…gw
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Pasta salad sounds good. Italian dressing is my fav for pasta salad. The Mr. loves BLT's!

Very hot here too - and soooo dry. Supposed to be 98 Thursday. Thankfully, the house is nice and cool.

• gsciencechick
    2 years ago

Was about to cook Beyond burgers for dinner when the power went out during huge storm. Estimated time for restore was 1 a.m. so we ordered Door Dash burgers (still got mine with Beyond) to be delivered to MIL’s where we hung out for the evening. Power came back on around 11 p.m.

Look at the number of ligtning strikes. It was so scary

Tina Marie thanked gsciencechick
  • mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I tried out my Nigerian recipe, beef Suya. It is similar to beef satay but spicier and less sweet.

I used this recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1020289-beef-suya?ds_c=71700000052595478&gclid=CjwKCAjwo4mIBhBsEiwAKgzXOMFKRJ95QqVk9wntgs44c4lEA6bz2veO5euQBiGqDcG5csNOnmFBXBoCNUcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

For the meat I had the butcher cut sirloin steaks into 1/8" strips. I bought Suya spice mix, just by coincidence, from the place Funky recommended.

I really liked the "relish: with it. I used garden tomato, cuke, and thin sliced red onion. Just toss with fresh lime juice and salt. I served it with grilled naan.

Here's a prettier picture than the recipe had.

Tina Marie thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That looks good @mtnrdredux_gw! We had pork which you sear (and then I bake for a bit so it will be good and tender) with a topping of sauted zucchini, red onions, cherry tomatoes and swiss cheese. It is really good and you don't need much to go with it!

• gsciencechick
    2 years ago

Last two nights we had salmon fillets over salad (we have a ton of tomatoes!) and a baked potato with chives also from the garden.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

We only had 2 tomatoes so far --- tomorrow we head to Maine for 10 days and I just know they are all going to turn red while we are gone!

• LynnNM
    2 years ago

My longtime dear friend taught me how to “cook New Mexican instead of like a gringo” when we first moved here from Michigan many years ago. She’s a many, many generations New Mexican, and a great cook. She and her DH own a very well-known Northern New Mexico hotel and restauraunt. She even made me a handwritten cookbook that I still use. Anyhoo, today I made a pot of her from-scratch Red Chile (Sauce). I then roasted some fresh Hatch green chiles, cleaned and then stuffed them with cheese, battered and fried them, making Chile Rellenos (ray-EN-yoss) for our dinner. Along with some black beans and a vinegary salad. Delish, and not the least bit ”gringo“ (LOL)!

Tina Marie thanked LynnNM
  • Springroz
    2 years ago

I caught America’s Test Kitchen earlier, and they made a chicken dish that I copied. I had roasted thighs leftover, so I crisped them up in some olive oil, then removed, and sauteed a sliced onion and a red bell pepper, 5 cloves of my own garlic, added some oregano and a little rice flour, then some stock. Simmered a bit, put the chicken on top, and put in the oven for a few minutes. Not bad. Never would have guessed the chicken was leftover!!

Tina Marie thanked Springroz
  • Funkyart
    2 years ago

You guys are killing me! Everything looks so good! I had (homemade) chicken salad and tomatoes. It simple but good.

Mtn, the nigerian beef looks great-- and Lynn, you have me swooning for hatch chiles!

Tina Marie thanked Funkyart
  • runninginplace
    2 years ago

I got inspired earlier this week sharing my favorite chicken enchilada recipe in another discussion, so I made that and we've been eating it since then LOL.

I like those kinds of mains, it's great to have something waiting for us at the end of the day that only needs reheating for dinner.

And after a breezy summer, the winds finally settled down last week and we've been as my husband puts it 'diving our brains out'. The Florida Keys really is a magical place to be on or under the water.

Tina Marie thanked runninginplace
  • maddielee
    2 years ago

short hijack @runninginplace

“The Florida Keys really is a magical place to be on or under the water”

How were the crowds for sport season? This is the 2nd year we haven’t at least had one family member down there.

Tina Marie thanked maddielee
  • hhireno
    2 years ago

Recently for guests, I made (Once upon a chef) grilled chicken, (Southern Living mag) summer squash gratin, sliced tomato, corn on the cob, (Smitten Kitchen) easy drop strawberry shortcakes. The meal got raves, so much so that the guests requested it again when they come back through this way next week. I'm happy to oblige but there’s no guarantee the corn or tomatoes will be that perfect again. 🤞🏼

Tina Marie thanked hhireno
  • Kitch4me
    2 years ago

DH has been wanting enchiladas. So, thats what I’m cooking tonight. Green chile chicken enchiladas. Yes, gringo style. LOL

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

I was out with a couple of friends the other day and they were both raving about this recipe: https://smittenkitchen.com/2021/06/zucchini-butter-spaghetti/

I’m going to try it soon.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

That does look good, SueB, I'm going to try that. It reminds me a lot of something far simpler -- when I saute zoodles, I add a ton of chopped fresh baby spinach, garlic, and grated parm. Yum and so simple.

Hhiireno, that summer squash sounds delish, but no wonder! It's a cheese vehicle! Maybe I can find a cooking light version?

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I have been making something similar to the zucchini spaghetti but ad hoc-- I tend to like Smitten Kitchen recipes so I will try it.

I also used to make something similar but using Near East bulgur pilaf instead of pasta-- not even sure they make bulgur pilaf anymore. I haven't seen it in many years-- but i think any of their whole grain mixes would work or any bulgur pilaf recipe.

This is probably an unpopular opinion lol.. but much a I like zucchini/zoodles, i can't bring myself to call it pasta. It is a side dish IMO.. not a pasta entree. I can be happy with a veggie meal-- but zoodles are not at all filling to me. Not enough fiber. Maybe I am doing it wrong??

• hhireno
    2 years ago

Mtn: As I sampled it while sauteeing, it was delicious so you could just skip the cheese. Or cut back on it. I used a mix of zucchini and yellow squash because I like the mix of colors.

ETA: I don’t think I used 1/2 c Parmesan, not because I’m virtuous but because I was at the end of my wedge of Parmesan. 😆

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Ths, HHireno. Will def add Zucchini for Color. I saw a CL version but it had rice, which seems odd ... why add a starch? I think i will just play with it.

Funky, zoodles are a side dish in my house, almost always sauteed w spinach. Sometimes brunch if topped with a sunny side up egg.

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

I mainly use zoodles with spaghetti, so my bowl of ”pasta” is actually half pasta and half veggies.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We eat zucchini and/or yellow squash often, usually at least weekly. I like zoodles but have not actually used them with spaghetti sauce but in other recipes. I've never mixed them with pasta, mainly because pasta is just another one of the "white stuff" things that I love and try to limit. I use ww spaghetti when I make spaghetti. But with a topping, zoodles work for us as a main dish.

There's also a squash casserole that is very popular in the south that we like. I need to make that soon.

Enchiladas! Bummer! After the thread here I was planning on making chicken enchiladas this coming week. Picked up my grocery order yesterday and don't have some of the ingredients. Will go to the produce market tomorrow, but they won't have what I need, so I'll save those for the following week. YUM!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

I've never cared for enchiladas so never made them; to me they are like soggy fajitas. What am I missing?

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I have whole wheat linguine -- and also a new product to me, fresh cauliflower linguine. I think either would be fine to make the zucchini dish even thought it calls for spaghetti.

I don't know that you're missing anything, Mtn.. I like enchiladas verdes -- not so much a red sauce. My favorite fajita is a vegetarian mix of peppers, onions, zucchini and mushrooms.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We all have different tastes, so you may not be missing anything. We like enchiladas and they are not soggy. In fact, I cover my with foil part of the baking time to keep them from getting "crispy" (hard). We mainly do chicken enchiladas with a white sauce. I love fajitas, but to me they are completely different from enchiladas (different filling, no sauce, etc.).

• 3katz4me
    2 years ago

Nothing much until today - having BIL & SIL over for baby back ribs on the Big Green Egg along with lemon dill potato salad (no mayo) and Minnesota grown corn on the cob followed by key lime pie - made by me. I rarely make dessert but make this once or twice a summer. Since key limes aren’t readily available here I just use regular ones. I did use key limes once but didn’t notice enough difference to go out of my way to buy them again.

• Bunny
    2 years ago

There are good enchiladas and not so good ones. To me enchiladas and fajitas are completely different animals. Soggy fajitas don't sound good...unless you give it a different name and say it's supposed to be like that. :) I love all Mexican food. It's everyday food where I live.

Tonight I'm going to make turkey burgers using a panade and shredded cabbage and onions in the mix, seasoning still undecided. There's a freshly baked blueberry galette for dessert, then breakfast, etc.

• bbstx
    2 years ago

I think dinner tonight is going to be BLTs. DBIL brought me a couple of homegrown, ripe, heirloom tomatoes. I would prefer to have avocado included (BLAT), but I’m not going out in this heat for it.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Bunny,

LOL I understand they are totally different things, but when I think of all the great uses for a flour tortilla, baking it in a liquid just doesn't make sense to me. We use them for tacos and fajitas and quesadillas, even for mini pizza. I guess maybe the texture is akin to pasta in a sauce?

Anyway, thanks to Hhireno, I made a squash casserole. I gave it a 9, the family gave it 8.5 (I'm biased). I wanted to try something lighter, but I didn't like Cooking Light's version because I avoid fake things like reduced fat cheese and the like.

I made this from Martha Shulman. I'm sure I'd like it less if I had started out making the one with yummy breadcrumbs, but my family will never know what they are missing LOL.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016433-summer-squash-gratin?action=click&module=Global%20Search%20Recipe%20Card&pgType=search&rank=19

• Bunny
    2 years ago

Mtn, enchiladas are gross made with flour tortillas, way better with corn.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

aha

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I guess maybe the texture is akin to pasta in a sauce? Not at all.

Hmmm, I've never had rice in squash casserole. Going to the produce market later today!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Tina, i thought rice seemed odd, too, but saw it in multiple versions

the recipe says …”.This is a typical Provençal gratin, bound with rice and eggs.”

I used 2 smallish zucchini and 2 smallish yellow squash, so with only 1 c of rice (cooked) it was not very ”rice forward.” I imagine it was for thickening, replacing cream or breadcrumbs?

• Sueb20
    2 years ago

Hmmm, my neighbors came over for dinner last night and brought a baseball-bat-sized zucchini for us…I think I might make that gratin dish (for 12!?) tonight!

• Funkyart
    2 years ago

I was planning to make Sue's Zucchini garlic pasta today -- but I just received my grocery delivery and the zucchini is the perfect size for a small zucchini lasagna-- basically a log shape the length of a 9 x 9 pan! This week is to be relatively cool and it's a favorite so I am switching up my plan.

• OllieJane
    2 years ago

Hmmm...what should I serve with Mtn's summer squash gratin/casserole?

I may like the one's with yummy breadcrumbs too LOL but may not miss it in the recipe.

• Feathers11
    2 years ago

That squash gratin does look good! I shy away from squash because I never know what to do with it. I'll have to give it another try.

I have a fabulous farmers' market nearby, and yesterday I came home with my weekly haul. Yesterday evening, I pan cooked a chopped chicken breast, and slightly stir fried green beans and red cabbage. Topped that with cherry tomatoes, pepper, spring onion, and micro greens of some sort. I made a dressing with orange juice and apple cider vinegar, mustard, olive oil, salt, pepper, dried oregano, garlic and chopped fresh basil. I have enough for another salad today.

I have a bunch of leeks, and will probably do a leek frittata of sorts for lunch.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    2 years ago

Just wanna say, if you want to please a crowd and don't care about calories, I would definitely make the Southern Living version posted first above. That looks sooooo good.

For me, I just have this attitude about cooking, especially anything that takes time. And it is this: it's not too hard to make or procure delicious, highly caloric food. So when I go to the trouble of cooking, or go out to a fancy place to eat for that matter, I am looking for something worth the time and money ... the holy grail ... ie something yummy that is still reasonably good for you. That's why I chose to make the NYT version; YMMV!

PS I did not dice my squash. I sliced in rounds with a mandoline. Also, check it while it cooks, mine was done in like 15 min... but i my oven here always seems to run hot.

• Tina Marie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I didn't look at the SL recipe, but the one i've grown up on is squash, onion, cheddar cheese, egg, milk and I add a bit of butter to mine. The breadcrumbs are sprinkled on top, not mixed in with the casserole. There is a zucchini casserole that is almost like dressing (now I will want it!). It actually has crushed crackers (the little rectangular buttered crackers) crushed up and mixed in - and so good! But @mtnrdredux_gw I totally get where you are coming from and while we love food (SIGH), we do try to eat healthy. For us, that includes really cutting down on the "white stuff" (aka the good stuff!).

Feathers. do you like roasted veggies? We almost always have yellow squash and zuke in the fridge. We love a mixture of roasted veggies. Squash is also easy and tasty sauteed or as shown in the recipes here, in a casserole or gratin.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES