Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coopthemusical

Backsplash color tricks

Jackie
2 years ago

I was going for a clean neutral and brass look in my kitchen and was planning to use the same quartz i used for my counter as the backsplash.

But the more I live with the counter, the more beige/green it looks against my very white cabinets 🤮 I wanted something off white with more pronounced veins , but here we are.

Now I’m not sure i should go buy even more of a color I’m not crazy about. At this point the counter cost is sunk, so for the backsplash do you think i should -

A) move forward as planned with the same quartz; at least it will have that “waterfall” look i wanted and i can try to make the lighting better or something
B) do a grey subway tile backsplash to make the counter look lighter (and if so how dark grey do go?)
C) do a white subway tile backsplash to bring in more white overall

Photos with samples and inspiration pics that i like below. Thank you!!

White Tile
Grey Tile
Same Quartz

Comments (8)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

Since you already have a white/cream contrast and you aren't going to change the counter top material, then select a backsplash in either color. So either do the same material as the counter on the backsplash or a white tile that matches the white of your cabinetry. Adding a third color that doesn't relate to either is going to be a mistake. BTW, what is that on the floor?

• Jackie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@deesigner19 the floor is La Marca porcelain in Statuario Nuovo. It comes in many different shapes and sizes so i could definitely use that as the backsplash if you think it wouldn’t make the cream counter out of place

• PRO
    2 years ago

Have you already ordered the floor tiles? I ask because that is going to make the problem worse. If you don't want to change the counter top (which is the source of all the problems) then adding that floor introduces yet another color that doesn't work with the cabinet/counter top combination. I'd use a contrasting color on the floor, or ideally a medium toned brown wood.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

Using the same Quartz will give it a beautiful and clean look❣️

• Jackie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@deesigner19 no the floor is already installed and is the focal point of the room. It is my favorite element of the room by far. I don’t really think of it as introducing another color because it matches the cabinets very closely. So if i used the white floor material as the backsplash then the floor, cabinets and backsplash would ostensibly match - the cream counter would be the contrast. If something HAS to go it will be the counter.

• Jackie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I think my options now are:

1. White cabinet, white porcelain floor and white porcelain backsplash with cream quartz counter
    2. White cabinet and white porcelain floor with cream quartz counter and cream quartz backsplash.

I forgot I actually have an extra tile from the floor so i can get an idea of what that would look like as the backsplash

• PRO
    2 years ago

The floor tile is lovely and I totally understand your situation. So go with whichever b/s you like better!

• Jackie
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Okay. I think i will go with the white backsplash and if I really still hate the cream counter i can change it eventually. Thank you for your help!