Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
megan_harding14

HELP! Colonial needs curb appeal!

Megan Harding
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

***UPDATE WITH NEW PHOTOS**

My husband and i live in a 1960s colonial tbat desperately needs some curb appeal

any ideas as to what we can do to the front of the house to make it look better? open to all options.... porch...landscaping... i am not able to visualize anything so any pics or inspiration would be awesome! garage is to the left, for reference

thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• housegal200
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You need to provide more photos: closeups of the brick, the walkway, the door and roof (for color) and one even farther back so we can see what your gravel driveway is all about.

Since this is growing time, look up area gardening centers (not big box stores) where shrubs and perennials are sold. Many keep notebooks of landscapers who can help you plan some deep garden beds in front of your house, with foundation plants, especially on the left side. Landscaping should be a big part of your curb appeal plans.

• houssaon
    2 years ago

The biggest issue is the brick on left side without a window. Can you install a window?

If not, I would put an ornamental tree out about 7 feet from the side of the house centered on the brick expanse. Then plant some flowering and evergreen bushes along the foundation behind the tree. Make sure to plant them so they have room to grow and still leave about a foot clearance to the side of the house.

Looks like it slopes off on the right side of the house, so build a curved retaining wall for that corner and plant a tall specimen. Oak leaf or P. G. hydrangea would look good. Plant ground hugging evergreens under the window, so it doesn't get hidden.

I would plant a boarder of small evergreens by the gravel and frame the brick path with perennials, flowering bushes and annuals.

Remove the shutters from the double windows. They are not right for them.

Paint the front door a light color so it can be seen.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I’d do a new front porch along the whole front of the house.
    If the interior allows I’d add French doors to the left side. Or at least a window.
    Remove the shutters.
    Paint the front door.
    And work on your landscaping and hardscape.
    This home has a ton of potential!!

• apb0
    2 years ago

Immediately, the left side of the house stands out as bare and seems unbalanced. A small tree (6-8 ft) and bushes (such as boxwood, euonymus , if climate allows, for varied height and color) were my first thought. Also, agreeing with the above, the front door isn't visible. Maybe less saturated colors for the shutters and front door?

• Rehabit
    2 years ago

Take off shutters, power wash house, larger porch pillars square that match up with arch base width. The left brick wall looks like a garage that got closed in (grout cleaner and sconce on both sides) if in budget and floor plan allows install window to match window other side. If not in budget than tall landscaping to balance

• housegal200
    2 years ago

This kind of deep bed on the left with shrubs, mulch, small trees, foundation plants (not too close) corner plantings would enhance the bare brick wall side.

Your lawn looks thin and unattractive on the right because you have so much shade from your tree. Get the tree trimmed and build a bed around the tree of entirely native shade plants instead of trying to keep a big lawn growing.