Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osnbsb

Do Laundry Rooms Need Exhaust Fans?

Olivia
2 years ago

Hello, we just remodeled a bathroom (as well as our kitchen) and in that remodel, turned an old standing shower space into a laundry closet that opens to the hallway.

Do laundry closets need to have an exhaust fan? (we are in California) I'm using my new GE dryer and noticing it is getting HOT all over the hallway and quite humid in the laundry closet (the closet has louvered doors).

I looked back at the contract with our Contractor and it does say "install new new vent pipe for fan" in the laundry so now I'm mad it was in the scope of work but not completed.

Comments (21)

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

When I lived in the SW US with triple digit summer heat I didn't have an exhaust in the laundry room. But I sure wished for one. And, I would have used it!

If you have attic space directly above the laundry room, it should be easy to add one.

How long ago was the remodel? If very recent, I would contact the contractor about the missing pipe/ fan. But you may be SOL given that you have accepted that the job was complete & if the contractor won't honor the omission on good faith?

• mojavemaria
    2 years ago

I’ve never had one in a house and if you do use one where does the replacement air come from? In most cases when you turn an exhaust fan on the vacuum created forces outside air to come in anyway it can. That means if its hot outside you are replacing hot air with air that maybe even hotter.

• Juliet
    2 years ago

We are renovating and have moved the laundry and are installing a fan. it was actually a wee accidental, as our new laundry is moved to what used to be a bathroom and the original vent hole wasn't in the correct place for dryer vent so our electrician suggested installing a fan to utilize that vent hole. Reno isn't complete so we haven’t used it yet. can you see if contractore can add one now?

• dadoes
    2 years ago

There's an exhaust fan in the little laundry room in my nephew's house. I don't understand the purpose of it. Vented dryers function as an exhaust fan whenever they're running.

• Juliet
    2 years ago

But if one hang-dries i imgine a fan could be nice. also, if one lives in a humid environment and/or with a windowless laundry room, a fan would help things dry.

• Juliet
    2 years ago

Also, washers contribute to the humidity in a laundry area so a fan would be nice to help move out that extra humidity.

• dadoes
    2 years ago

Depends on the environment. A climate controlled (air conditioned) home already has humidity control. Running an exhaust fan when using only the washer would pull in outdoor make-up air that the HVAC has to handle. Not beneficial where I live near the TX coast (or the nephew, and they run the A/C at 68°F when home).

• Cima Locert
    2 years ago

Your dryer's exhaust fan or exhaust air duct has a problem. The dryer's exhaust fan is the only one you need for that room. If that one works, why do you need another one ?

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

OP may have a condensing dryer and no external vent.

At my old house, I wanted an exhaust to pull heat & humidity out of the laundry room. Living in the SW at the time, almost all loads were line dried. Added heat & humidity were created by the washer. Seldom used the dryer. The clothes dried faster on the line than they would have in the dryer.

• Juliet
    2 years ago

Some areas of the country are humid but generally houses dont have AC. i grew up in PNW, humid but ac’s not very common. a fan in the laundry might be nice.

• Stax
    2 years ago

Many in the Seattle area are considering A/C due to the heat this summer.

• ci_lantro
    2 years ago

Juliet, I mostly grew up in arid parts of the country so have a low threshold of tolerance for humidity.

• Juliet
    2 years ago

Ci_lantro, i get it! i live in utah and we are putting in a fan in our laundry room (see above). i just find it frustrating when people (not you) claim to have no comprehension as to why someone might have a fan in the laundry. Well, there are lots if reasons! (Again, not directing that to you). the point is, the OP didnt get a fan they thought they were getting and wants one. some suggested her dryer is enough and i think you and me have pointed out several reasons why dryer is not enough :)

• Fori
    2 years ago

If you paid for one, you should have it. Also check those other things people mentioned just in case you do have a more serious venting issue.

I have one and I use it but I don't know if it helps. (The GC doing the room said 'hey, you wanna fan in here?" and we said "uh sure".) I usually open a window in the adjoining powder room while doing laundry anyway.

• Memphis Forrest
    2 years ago

I’m like the others. I have one never use it.

• lc
    2 years ago

We are in southern California. Our laundry room does not have a window and we were required to have humidity controlled exhaust fan in addition to the dryer vent

• PRO
    Goodman Home Remodeling
    2 years ago

Exhaust fans are "not" required in laundry rooms, because windows offer enough ventilation. In the event your laundry has no window(s), you can have an exhaust fan that will pull the heat and humidity from the laundry room as long as you can vent it to the outdoors.

From experienced, this is only an effective way to provide laundry room ventilation, but it will pull air from other parts of your home that you've paid to condition.

Just be smart about it.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Keep in mind a vented dryer IS an exhaust fan, one with a pretty substantial flow rate. The make up air needed to keep up the flow rate will be even greater if an exhaust fan is ruining in the room or in the house at the same time.

Neither a dryer nor an exhaust fan can exhaust more air from a structure than the amount that enters from either leakage or an open window. When using a vented dryer, it's important to have a window open so that it works its best. If there's no window in the room where it's located, open the nearest window elsewhere and expect outside air will be sucked in. It'll come in one way or another and if your house is particularly well sealed, with no make up air or windows open, you're handicapping the operation of the dryer. .

• Jack Sims
    last month

The primary purpose of exhaust fans is to move moisture, not air. Anyone who has an exhaust fan in a laundry, bath, or kitchen areaa d does not use it, is risking mold. Mold causes health issues, is costly to repair, and generally is not fun. You will likely not be able to stay at home during the removal steps...which can take several weeks.

• luna123456
    last month

I have a heat pump dryer so humidity is never an issue. Heat is also never an issue since there is no vent on a heat pump dryer.

Vented dryers are eneegy hogs in many ways. The only reason they still exist is cheap energy.

I would love to be able to walk my neighborhood and be able to smell flowers and trees and not whatever stench is circulating in the dryer. Some of them are nauseating.