Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vidsquid

Classic paint color for interior of the house. No Grey/Grey tone

vidsquid
2 years ago

Hi what is a classic, traditional pain color that won't be outdated in 10 years. I am very traditional. I also like good mahogany furniture.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I happen to love grayed/ greens with red toned wood so this would be my choice BTW a lot more neutral than any beige for sure . I find it timeless and goes with almost everyhing.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

Take a look at Everlasting by Benjamin Moore also

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

Show us some of your rugs and upholstery. If everything you own is red/yellow/warm based vs blue/green/cool based vs eclectic all over the board then answers for ‘classic’ colors will differ.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Excuse the mess we had water damage everywhere

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My furniture is too expensive to change out. :). I can’t do the palet

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My furniture is too expensive to change out. :). I can’t do the pallets or barn doors. Very nice just not for me :)

• calidesign
    2 years ago

I agree that you're right to stay away from anything too gray. The colors that won't look outdated in 10 years are the colors that work with your home, your furnishings, and that you love. With dark, rich, woods I'd try a lighter warm or neutral white for the main color. You could also incorporate a very soft green in a room or two if you like that color. Look at SW Shoji White and SW Liveable Green.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I would be afraid to do green. 😂 hey I will see. What are ur thoughts on BM white dove, SW alabaster

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

All comments the good the bad the ugly are welcomed. 😂

• nan-nan
    2 years ago

We have cherry floors. 18 years ago I painted the walls BM Mocha Cream (it was called Shale at the time). It is a warm taupe that has been timeless.

These colours might also be worth considering.

if you choose a white paint you will have a greater contrast between wall and furniture, which is fine if you don’t mind highlighting the furniture.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank u so much! What do I think would look the best

• latifolia
    2 years ago

Was going to suggest BM White Dove, which is a lovely, warm white. We used it for all our trim. It's not exciting, but it goes with everything. We have a lot of antique cherry, mahogany and oak furniture. If you decided to sell tomorrow, no one would say, "I need to repaint because my furniture clashes with the walls."

• nan-nan
    2 years ago

You could also pick a shade from one of your area rugs.

Your home looks lovely. You might want to refresh your drapes if you change your walls.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I want to have my kitchen cabinets painted. White dove I thought would work. They are now a buttercream.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Excuse the mess lol

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Then the countertops I was thinking a marble like quartz??? We have water damage so I have to make decisions help!

• latifolia
    2 years ago

Please list all the things you need to change, as no decision is made in isolation. So you're painting the walls, painting the cabinets, changing the countertops, changing the backsplash? What about the floors?

Having cabinets painted properly is $$$, and you need to find a specialty painter. What are your requirements for countertops? If you like marble, consider the real thing, instead of the plastic pretender. Have you identified a backsplash you like?

• calidesign
    2 years ago

After seeing all the photos, I don't think green will work. I'd take inspiration from all your rugs, and choose a very light warm white that works with those. White Dove sounds like a good option for the cabinets and/or the walls, but you do need to have a whole plan first for the larger items you're changing before you choose a wall color.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am partial to these ideas. Will it flow. Oy vey

• latifolia
    2 years ago

So maybe paint the walls in eggshell (low sheen, but washable) paint and do the cabinets with a bit more sheen.

Is budget a consideration? i actually like your cabinets as they are. Might look nice with soapstone countertops and maybe an off white tile backsplash.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I really like the tan paint Maybe just paint the family room? Like a swiss cream Or Navaho white?

• nan-nan
    2 years ago

Its a good idea to start small and see if you like the results.

• thinkdesignlive
    2 years ago

If your wall to wall carpet is to remain then you really need a soft shade that works with it. The colors houssan suggested might work. Best to paint large samples on foam board and tote around to each room.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have to replace the whole first floor!!!!! I am leaning toward a darker color. I have Brazilian cherry now. Thoughts on that you see this is just snowballing!!!!!!!!

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

I have Brazilian cherry floors throughout the first floor and also have walnut furniture. I have the following colors in various rooms: BM Bunny Gray, BM Moonshine, Behr Clear Moon.

Greens, grays and creams are recommended for red-toned furniture/floors. I picked those colors 16 years ago before I knew that, LOL!

I would really look at Moonshine, it is a very subtle grayed green color and is gorgeous.

• Longbranchstitch
    2 years ago

Same here with Brazilian cherry floors throughout first floor. Our interior designer suggested BM Soft Chamois. That was 11 years ago and we still love it. Looks different throughout the day as the light hits each part of the house.

• vidsquid
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I need someone to just tell me what to do.......LOL

• Carolae
    2 years ago

Look at Benjamin Moore Linen White for walls, trim, ceilings, and kitchen cabinets. It’s lighter and prettier on the walls than on the paint chip

• Carolae
    2 years ago

If you plan to renovate your kitchen with new countertops, choose the countertop first, before deciding on paint colors for the walls and kitchen cabinets.

Why do you want to change the kitchen countertops and cabinet color? Is there water damage in the kitchen?

BM Linen White for the walls is likely to work with your current cabinet color.

• Anna Devane
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I actually like the cabinets as is. it they don’t have water damage I would leave them and get a lighter countertop and then do a tile backsplash. Paint the ceiling a 1/4 or 1/2 formula of the cabinets. it’s so white now that it probably makes the cabinets look more yellow than cream . New pendant lights and you’ll have a whole new kitchen!

• grapefruit1_ar
    2 years ago

I would go with lighter floors and SW Kilim Beige paint.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!