Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkurrle

install: cabinets that sit on kitchen countertop

jkurrle
2 years ago

How do you install glass front cabinets in a kitchen that sit on the countertop that allow for enough space for the doors to open but at the same time, don’t have a gap that will catch crumbs and other gross kitchen stuff over time? Caulk doesn’t seem to be the answer to me…

Comments (23)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

IMO a waste of counter space and I am not sure where the crumbs would go but then I would not do this idea ever also how would crumbs get there since there is no space to work on those counters

• jkurrle
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your concern, Patricia but we have a huge island and plenty of counter space.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I actually have not seen a setup like yours. Typically cabinets that meet the counter have a drawer on the bottom, rather than the door that you have. Furthermore, they are not flanking a range. That is because it means you won't have landing space to set down a roasting pan or large pot coming out of the oven, or have a space to set your ingredients before stirring them into a pan on the cooktop. You should not have to cross the floor to an island while holding a broiling hot pan in order to set it down. So usually cabinets that meet the counter are at the end of a run, or in some location away from the range.

I am sure there are setups like yours in kitchens, but it is unusual, so I cannot provide examples to show you. Can you ask the person who designed your cabinets and layout for suggestions?

• chispa
    2 years ago

They should have been designed with a spacer below, just like the units shown with a drawer. Then the unit would sit flush on the counter and the doors would swing open freely without scraping on anything.

Did you measure all this out carefully? I think your glass inserts are going to hit your hood when you open the inner doors.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

My question is why wasn't the entire wall behind the stove tiled? The entire area should have been tiled even though you're putting a hood fan. I would get the remaining portion tiled before you put the fan up.

• jkurrle
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I truly appreciate everyone’s concern for our design BUT that is not what I am asking. My specific question is how to make what is in the posted picture work. Also, this was the I inspo for the cabinets. Please note there is no spacer drawer below.

• Josie23: Zone 5: WI
    2 years ago

I think you have to have at least some gap. Wooden cabinets will change size slightly as humidity increases and decreases. If you have no gap you may not be able to open them during the summer if they swell up and get wedged against the counter.

Without changing the design I think your only answer is to open the cabinets and wipe your counter down daily or after each use. I am not sure how you will wipe off the bottom of the cabinet door, maybe you can slip a damp paper towel under it to keep it wiped down.

• Josie23: Zone 5: WI
    2 years ago

You can find photos of cabinets that go down to the countertop. It's a newer trend it seems. Maybe having a larger gap at the bottom would be better than tighter?

And in the first photo they do have ceiling to counter cabinets flanking the range, Shannon. Maybe not the most convienent set up when cooking, but it's not unique. If you have a large range you can always set your hot oven pans on top of it. Heck I have a small range and set my oven pans on top of it :P

• Mrs. S
    2 years ago

jkurrie, just because you have a beautiful inspiration photo and you want to modify your kitchen to achieve some aspect you see in a beautiful photo, does NOT mean that the cabinetry in the beautiful photo has no issues. However, I do note that the minty-colored cabinetry in the photo has no range next to it.

It does however, have an oven, and nowhere to set hot things as they come out of the oven. The design in that photo is simply terrible. In my opinion.

I would stock up on these to clean out underneath.

• Kim T.
    2 years ago

I have no knowlege to offer as to your question but just wanted to say that I love your backspash tile paired with that cabinet color. Looks beautiful!

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

“they do have ceiling to counter cabinets flanking the range, Shannon. Maybe not the most convienent set up when cooking, but it's not unique.”

@Josie23: Zone 5: WI - I never said it was unique. My words were ”I am sure there are setups like yours in kitchens, but it is unusual”. In addition, your pic shows a 48” or 60” range. The OP’s range is 30” wide, so as you noted, it will not have the burner space to set pans down that your photo shows. And, where to set down items that you will be cooking with? If for a very simple example you are making eggs for breakfast, where do the eggs go - on the edge of the counter? Not to mention dishes that have multiple ingredients to put in the pot or pan. I understand there is an island nearby, so that will be the compromise.

”It's a newer trend it seems.”

Cabinets meeting the counters has been around for many decades.

• PRO
    User
    2 years ago

Remove the cabinets. They will be scorched and brown in no time. You need to read your range’s horizontal clearance requirements, because that fails them all. Plus the grease particles and spaghetti sauce from sitting down a spoon (where?) will get underneath those and never come out.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

@jkurrle - when I expand your inspo pic on my phone, it looks like there is a bit of filler under those cabinets. And I agree with @Mrs. S - that design has several glaring problems so i would not want to emulate it. For example, the cooktop is out of the picture so must be quite far away from the wall ovens. A cook should not have to walk clear across the kitchen between the cooktop and wall ovens. That is a very fine dining table in that pic - should not br used to set down sloshing hot pans or the turkey from the oven but there is no other place.

• User
    2 years ago

OMG, it's already done. can we just help the OP answer her question? it would cost more to rip it out and fix the backsplash. she can always try living with it and ripping it out in the future if it winds up not working for her.

jkurrle: easiest solution: shave just a little bit off the bottom of the doors until they can freely swing, then touch up the paint.

or, is there room to tuck a really thin piece of wood under the cabinet to act like a spacer? about 1/4" thick? paint the edge to match the cabinets.

no matter what you do, I'd advise at least a thin line of clear caulk where the cabinet meets the counter, so that spilled liquids can't seep in.

• tsjmjh
    2 years ago

I'm not trying to be critical and I don't have an answer to your question. I just want to know if those cabinets meet code? I mean, I hope at the last minute someone says you can't do that. We had to have 18" counter space next to the cooktop to meet code, and I'm not sure what the answer would have been in our case if we had put wood cabinets next to the range. (We had open flame gas burners.)

• starnold
    2 years ago

Lovely!

When the cabinet doors are open are the boxes flush with the counter or is there a visible space where the box meets the counter?

• lucky998877
    2 years ago

I have a 30" cabinet that goes down to the countertop. Glass doors above and smaller pocket doors below. No caulk, no filler...I love being able to pull my coffee maker out when filling with water...the granite continues as the "base" of the cabinet inside. So easy to wipe clean, and I've never had an issue with any spills near by. I don't do any prep etc near it, it's on one side of my range.

• barncatz
    2 years ago

Haven't read all the comments. Our counter cabinet door sits about 1/2" above the counter and the cabinet box. The cabinet bottom is caulked. I open the door to clean the cabinet face and counter and have never felt put upon in doing so. I do swipe a paper towel under the door itself from time to time ETA but have not found that the door bottom edge is a crumb catcher.

OTOH, I literally just cleaned and changed the liner of my pull out trash can cabinet - oy.

• kculbers
    2 years ago

I think cabinets resting on the counter next to the stove is quite an unsafe design. It does not allow enough counter space when you pull a heavy hot pot or pan off the stove. You need adequate counter space immediate to either side of a stove to rest a hot pot or pan on. Your concern is only crumbs? Maybe you need to rethink safety. I am a retired US Air Force nurse, and also spent many years as a workers comp nurse case manager. I medically managed treatment of all different types of work injuries, including restaurant injuries. Many of them were 2nd and 3rd degree burns from workers moving heavy large pots and pans from ranges, and the contents of the hot food spilled and splattered on their arms, chest and faces. Be very careful when you move hot pots off your stove and onto your island counter.

• telesaps
    2 years ago

@jkurrle Your kitchen is lovely! Love the backsplash, the color of the cabinets and the countertop cabinet design.

• HU-356712107
    last year

I wish I had seen this thread sooner. There are many options to accomplish a cabinet sitting on the counter. The simple solution is to use a light rail moulding that matches the cabinets. Put the light rail moulding on the bottom of the cabinet then install it. This will give you an extra inch of clearance and a nicer look. I did this in my bathroom and a kitchen I did 20 years ago. Not a new trend but becoming popular again. The cabinets that are designed for this with the drawers under the cabinet are way over priced and not worth it. Just use a tall wall cabinet with the light rail and you will have a high end look for a lot less. Hope this helps someone in the future.

• lainer000
    8 days ago
    last modified: 8 days ago

To everyone talking about setting a hot pan on the counter, I NEVER do this to avoid potential burns to my countertop and yea I have trivets. I make room on my cooktop to set items coming out of the oven. i also walk 4 steps to get to the sink with hot pots of water. Of course it’s dangerous but it’s necessary and tell me you havent done it? Accidents have also happened AT THE STOVE. My point is most of the commentors here have a set way of thinking anf doing things but it doesnt mean it‘s the only way to go about life.

With that said, I am curious how the cabinets have held up with all the cooking going around it? This design would not have met code where I live too but I love the look of those cabinets. Your kitchen is lovely and am sure you’re enjoying it despite all the negative Nancy’s on this thread.