Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josh_mccormack9

Add 1/2 bath to laundry room or convert walk in pantry to half bath

Josh m
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

this has been edited. original plan was to consider converting walk in pantry to half bath or moving laundry to pantry and add 1/2 bath in laundry. after feedback im leaning towards add the bath fixtures to laundry room and stacking washer/dryer. thus reason for title change

The room is 7’ deep and a hair over 6’ wide. The little nook with shelves is 24 in wide and 20 in deep and is not counted in the overall dimensions above.

if adding bath to laundry room option 1 is stacking washer and dryer where dryer is pictured with maybe some sort of small diveder then toilet where washer is labeled. then 18-24 in wide vanity in the nook where the shelves are currently. Option 2 (if enough room would be to place everything on backwall and save the storage shelf nook. Id piut toilet on back left, stacked washer/dryer (hidden in cabinet) in center back, then small vanity on back right (straight in door). i like option 2 better but how much width is needed for toilet, stacked laundry, and 18 in vanity on one wall?

thanks!

Original post below

our house is 1947 sf with a recently added 220 sf 4 season room(where the patio/covered porch is on the floor plan). it had 3 bedrooms (i guess the office technically counts as a 4th bedroom) and 2 baths. we are trying to decide if it is feasible and worthwhile to add a 1/2 bath on the left half of the house.

The best idea I have come up with is to covert the walk in pantry (~7’x4’) into a half bath and then put a pantry cabinet on the outside of the office wall between the kitchen and the dining room.

With a house this size are we better off keeping the pantry or putting in the half bath? we plan to be here long term but you never know. which is a better option for resale?

other concern is the 1/2 bath would be right off the kitchen. is that weird?

any other ideas on where a 1/2 bath could be added instead?

Comments (24)

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

A half bath that opens directly into the kitchen is not optimal. If you did want to put one there I would move the door into the rear hall area. The other option would be to put it where the laundry is and move the laundry to the current pantry. I am not sure it's necessary to have a half bath with a hall bath accessible on the same floor. Would it be a lot more convenient to have one there? Do other houses this size in your neighborhood have a half bath?

• Josh m
    Original Author
    2 years ago

there are a lot of similar sized 1 story homes in the neighborhood and its about 50-50 as to if they have 2 or 2.5 baths.

we have 3 and 6 year old kids and I am thinking that as they get older the 1/2 bath would help prevent some fighting ovet the bathroom. also seems not to have their friends and other guests not to have to use the hall bath

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

If you used pantry for half bath & moved door to rear hall area as @palimpsest suggests, could you also add the pantry cabinet on that new wall instead of over on the office wall? I agree that it’s not a good thing to have bathroom entry from kitchen. seems to have a high ”ick” factor. It would be a plus to keep the new pantry cabinet inside the kitchen rather than outside edge. Current pantry looks large - can you do without it?

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I would move the laundry to the pantry and put the bath where the laundry is. It looks to have more room - possibly a 3/4 bath would fit there.

• Josh m
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks all. what if we stacked the washer/dryer and then added a toilet and sink to the laundry room? would that be weird?

keep the suggestions coming. i think moving laundry to pantry and 1/2 bath in laundry makes sense

• emilyam819
    2 years ago

What are the dimensions of the laundry room? Mine is 8 x 6. Imagine closet doors to enclose your machines, then toilet on the left, sink on the right. Works great. I never had an actual laundry room though, so can’t compare.

• Josh m
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The room is 7’ deep and a hair over 6’ wide. The little nook with shelves is 24 in wide and 20 in deep and is not counted in the overall dimensions above.

im thinking stacking washer and dryer where dryer is pictured with maybe some sort of small diveder then toilet where washer is labeled. then 18-24 in wide vanity in the nook where the shelves are currently. thoughts?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

What’s in that space in hallway to garage entry? I see a closet & a ?? The hallway is 3’8”. You said shelf nook in laundry is 24” wide so I guess those two closets are same. Can you capture 8” from hall, combine those two closets & create @ a 32” wide half bath with a pocket door so no interior room space used up with door swing? toilet at one end, sink at other end of that new rectangle space?

• Josh m
    Original Author
    2 years ago

KW the spot just inside door is a bench with shoe storage below and coat hangers above. No room to steal from hall so in your design stealing the closet and bench area for bath would be 27 in deep at most and 7 ft wide

• cat_ky
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would have the laundry and the bath separate, and move the pantry elsewhere. I would not want stacking washer and dryer. I know in some cases thats the only way, that someone can have a washer and dryer, but, for me, a stackable would be a deal breaker in buying a house. I also would not want a toilet in my laundry room.

• Josh m
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is what adding the bath to laundry room would look like

• Olychick
    2 years ago

I love my stackable W/D. What are you showing next to the toilet? I think that plan is workable and you keep your wonderful pantry, too.

Josh m thanked Olychick
  • Josh m
    Original Author
    2 years ago

that woild be a narrow 18-24 inch cabinet

• Josh m
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Heres another layout. im leaning this way since it will have more storage thoughts?

• emilyam819
    2 years ago

I’d only combine laundry and powder if you can hide the machines behind closet doors.

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

I have seen toilets in laundry rooms and I think they look very out of place.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

New layout looks like each item has more elbow room. Bigger sink & vanity & better storage. As to the ”out of place” or ”only if can hide machines” I said I’ve noted many examples of laundry / powder combo room on real estate home sale sites. Mostly found in older homes but look original to plan. Some of these rooms have nice finishes with regard to tile & cabinets. Your only other option might be moving laundry to the 3rd bay on left side of garage. Do something with the bench & shoe storage area to create direct access from house if you wall the laundry off in garage. Of course there’s the plumbing issue since none in those walls….

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

In a house this size I would separate the laundry and powder rooms.

• Josh m
    Original Author
    2 years ago

What kind of company would I work with on this? remodeling company? plumber?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

@Josh m - depending on which option you choose you’re going to need several trade skills. Plumber, electrician, drywaller, & maybe permits & inspections. My advice, based on recent personal experience is to work with a General Contractor / remodeling company. Ask around for recommendations. Get several bids. Many advantages to working with GC instead of trying to manage yourself. A good GC will also be able to point out problems with a plan. Know that in current market, you’re not going to have your project completed in a short time frame. No idea where you live but it seems the same everywhere - shortage of skilled trades, materials & many projects in queue.

• Josh m
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Olychick- what are those cabinets called? id like you search for options like that

• partim
    2 years ago

Here's an option that doesn't require a stacked washer and dryer. The laundry room is a walk-through space from the outside to the kitchen. Similar to my own home in which the laundry room has a door to the outside and functions as a walk-through mud room.

You could hide the laundry equipment behind bifold doors or do as many Europeans do and just leave them in sight, often choosing colourful equipment.

Because the original hallway is now multitasking as the laundry room floor space, there is now room for a shower in the powder room, which might be useful depending on your lifestyle e.g. muddy dog cleanup. Or if you move the wall and door to make the powder room smaller, you could add a closet beside the laundry equipment.

• Olychick
    2 years ago

Josh, I'm not exactly sure. I can find them by searching for 'cabinet pocket door' or 'concealed laundry closet door.' If you can bring up one on pinterest that you like, it will let you search for 'more like this.'