webuser_510430803

Brazilian Cherry Floors

Jackie Johnson
2 years ago

Are Brazilian Cherry Floors outdated?

Comments (9)

• Timothy Winzell
    2 years ago

Meh. We recently replaced a damaged Maple floor with Brazilian Cherry and the customer LOVES it, which is good because it was done for a friend. In the past few days I've been dealing with a customer whose damaged BC was replaced by a White Oak floor many would prefer and they don't like it. They're coming back to me to see if they can go back to the BC. It really depends on personal preferences though in my area the red tones are not terribly popular.

• Jackie Johnson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We did BC in our family room 15 or so years ago. The floor is beautiful. We are now replacing the remainder of 1st floor flooring. (family room has a 1 step up into kitchen area) I don't think I want the whole lower level in the red tones. Do I need to match? Or just go with something I like?

• Suki Mom
    2 years ago

Could you post some pictures of the area you are describing?

• kempek01
    2 years ago

If you were on a completely different level, I would say that two different woods was fine.

But since you are only 1 step different, I would think it would be better to do everything the same. If you don't want BC throughout the level, I would consider ripping out the existing BC from one room to have that visual continuity.

If the family room is basically closed off on its own, though, maybe you can keep the BC while doing the rest in something different. Just be sure to be different -- not close.

• kandrewspa
    2 years ago

How long are you planning on staying in your house? While I do believe people should have what they like in their houses, I also believe that Brazilian Cherry is a pretty specific style choice that would cause your home to take longer to sell. I saw this in the town I moved to 18 months ago. While I was looking, there was a house on the market that lingered much longer than other comparable homes, and I think it was because of the floors. The house was in very good condition, in a good location and priced correctly, but the floors didn't look good in the pictures. It's a unique look. If the time to sell isn't a deterrent, keep in mind that the purchase price may also be affected. If the buyer doesn't like the floor they will reduce their offer by the cost of replacing it.

As some other posters have pointed, out, some people really like it, but more people don't. But if you're planning on living in the house until you pass on or go to a nursing home, do whatever you want! :-)

• Jackie Johnson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Step down from tiled kitchen area

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Cherry wood seems to have fallen out of favor but might be making a comeback. Regardless, you should choose a flooring that is right for you. That is unless you are planning on selling in the nearish future.

• James
    2 years ago

Yes