Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
malv_moo

Maximize & Update Bedroom

Mallorie C
2 years ago

Hey all. Thanks for all your help on other projects. We’ve only been in our home a year and I have already outgrown this space but we have to make it work. Is there any way to increase/maximize the space in the room? Also any other updates to make it look a tad more “expensive” without breaking the bank? Thanks. For reference our bedroom is a perfect square with one window and I am standing in the doorway taking the photo

Comments (71)

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Do you want to keep the current curtains? If you post a photo of the top of the curtains, we can probably tell how to make them look better. There may be a rod pocket with a one-inch header. The rod slides through the pocket, not the header. The header will be slightly ruffled and the curtains will look more finished. Move the rod down so that the curtains are half an inch from the floor (have they been washed or drycleaned so they won't shrink any more?) That's enough clearance to keep the hem from dragging on the carpet and getting dirty.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

I like decoenthusiaste's built in idea. If it is not feasible for you, what about 3 drawer dressers on both sides of the bed instead of nightstands? This gives you storage and more surface area. If they match each other, they don't have to exactly match your dresser.

I also agree with tartanmeup (love the usernames) that nautical or beach doesn't have to be a theme, just a feeling. I like the coverlet ideas and agree with changing the curtains later on.

I would not mind a pic of your big dresser to get a feel for the style you like, or something else that shows what style you like.

I would also consider changing the wall color somehow, so that all 4 walls are the same color. Would you be open to a darker wall color?

I may post again with pics. I have trouble switching between comments and the original post.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

White coverlet, white curtains, maybe white furniture with blue walls.

Kai Malu Wailea Maui · More Info

Beach Bungalow · More Info

Oak Bluff Model · More Info

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Can also go with a more neutral wall.

Lands End · More Info

River Ridge · More Info

• drblount10
    2 years ago

I always liked this bedroom. Deeper blue with white bedding, plus baskets and other textures. This is a bit bold. What are you thinking about ideas so far?

Modern Bohemian Tudor | Master Bedroom · More Info

• Wildcat Blue
    2 years ago

Tartanmeup nailed it with his/her response. Don’t do the coastal theme literally. Use the colors, patterns a s textures that give the coastal vibe without screaming coastal. Good luck!

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Will send an updated picture this evening. So I replaced the wall art above the bed with baskets. I’ll be changing the curtains to linen curtains. Buying this linen throw blanket. And working on reducing the clutter. I love allllllllll of what you guys have sent.

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Baskets yay or nay? Ordering some other items for this space soon.

• heathermalia
    2 years ago

Getting there! I like the framed art more than the baskets - maybe you just need a few more baskets? You're on the right track!

• Maria M.
    2 years ago

The nightstands are just too small and don't have enough oomph for the space. Try ones that take up the entire space on either side of the bed. Go with (light) wood tones so that you don't have so many competing whites (and maybe coordinate them with whatever art you have framed). You might want closed storage if you're worried about it looking messy.

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That’s the goal too. Saw some at IKEA that I may grab

• eveuchan
    2 years ago

Nay to the baskets. The baskets in the photo that drblount10 posted are of a tight grouping which makes it look like one piece. How you have yours it’s just 3 individual baskets.

• nester44
    2 years ago

I'm not wild about the baskets -- they don't look good against the light-colored wall. A framed horizontal picture like the one in Beach Bungalow (above) would be better. I agree with those who have said you should get more substantial nightstands like the 3-drawer Selene nightstand recommended above. Then new bedding - a white or ivory coverlet with a simple (medium-dark turquoise?) throw across the foot of the bed to pick up the colors of the wall and colors in whatever picture you choose for over the headboard.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Houzzers? Mallorie?
    Or, can wait until you see the new bedding and curtains in the room.

24" Tobacco Basket, White · More Info

Set of 3 White Rectangular Lattice Tobacco Table Top Baskets · More Info

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I'll have an update for you guys soon. I'll be buying new nightstands, art, a throw and painting the wall White this weekend.

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

So the nightstands I was going to buy at IKEA are sold out so I’m on pause there. However I did get new art soon and decluttered a bit. Ordering some new pillow covers and a throw too. Hope this will make you guys proud.

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Don’t know why the soon word is in the response above. I got new art lol.

• Maria M.
    2 years ago

The Malm look too narrow. Get nightstands that will f i l l u p t h e w h o l e s p a c e .

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I admit I haven’t seen it in person yet. And may not. It’s sold out in every state except Texas and won’t ship here. Any affordable suggestions Maria?

• heathermalia
    2 years ago

Facebook marketplace has great stuff!  I will tell you right now, Ikea shipping is god awful. I'd just not even hold out hope for that.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Measure first and see how many inches you have on each side. Facebook Marketplace had a lot of Ikea here.
    Target also has a similar style with feet. Their 3 drawer dresser is about 32 inches wide. 3 drawer dressers make great nightstands if you have room.
    You might also find mid mod or vintage pieces secondhand in your area. (I'm guessing--cant see your dresser but it looks contemporary.)

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I never posted the dresser. And have been searching on FB marketplace. They don’t have a lot of sets or two drawer stuff available. But I’m still looking.

• Maria M.
    2 years ago
  • tartanmeup
    2 years ago

I like the first nightstand @Maria M. posted from Target. The Fontella. Seems sold out now. The second option has a bit of an industrial feel to me. Would the Ikea Malm be tall enough? You want something the same height as your mattress. Width isn't the only consideration. If memory serves, the Malm wasn't tall enough for our bed. Have you considered Ikea's Tarva chest? Without its base, it might be the right height. (Untreated pine so you'd want to finish it.) Don't be in a rush to find something, @Mallorie C. It's difficult right now with so much in stores sold out and backordered. You don't want to end up "settling" on something. Know your desired measurements and style well and keep your eyes peeled on Marketplace and the like. Local estate sales? Consignment shops? (If you're the least bit handy, chalk paint can transform anything.)

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Framed art always looks better than commercial art with wrapped canvas edges.
    Bedding with more structure (seams, heavier fabric, texture) looks richer.
    Do your curtains give privacy when you have lights on in the bedroom? Go outside and check.

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I got the framed art. Will post pictures when bedding is here. And thanks Maria and Tartan

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

O and the curtains do not give much privacy. But any darker this room would have no light. There is only one window and it doesn’t face the Sun

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

O and the curtains do not give much privacy.

This is your bedroom. You need privacy. :) Look into window treatments that allow versatile privacy options. Curtains open and close. Shades can be drawn up or down. Etc. A double rod, for example, enables you to have opaque curtains over (daytime) sheers. It's not just about letting the light in during the daytime. It's about having something that works for you 24 hours a day. Window treatments can sometimes require a good chunk of change to get right.

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Could blinds work here? Would it be blinds and curtains or just blinds?

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Imo, blinds are a pita to clean. :P I love how they can adjust the light streaming into a space but find them a pain to maintain. Also, depending on quality, they can break sooner than later. Blinds alone with no curtains can look unfinished and/or more office-y than homey. What type of window is it?

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’d say double.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Hello Mallorie, any updates?

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Not yet. Cannot find nightstands that are in budget.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Thanks for the reply, Mallorie. It hit me a moment ago how tight the room is. Got a few ideas.

1. Your nightstands are not that cluttered, just small. If you had to stay with them, you could move the big lamps and look into plug in wall sconces. Amazon has a lot of sets of 2 on a budget. I also found these (link below) that slide over your headboard.

Bandwagon Dream Products Designer Headboard Lamp https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GRS422/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apan_glt_fabc_JSVYVDY6F63NSZA8J1FT?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2. You could go ahead with white bedding and curtains as suggested before, plus removing the themed art.

3. Painting, even if 1 wall at a time. Easy way would be to continue the pretty blue, or you could change to a pale sand or gray. If you don't want to change the walls, you might consider less beach glam and more beach cottage (like Sarah Richardson might do). Please give feedback on the wall color because it has a lot of impact on your look.

• drblount10
    2 years ago

If you go toward beach cottage, I love these carts from Michael's. Very easy assembly. I am using them in my guest room which has a cottage style. 
    https://www.michaels.com/lexington-3tier-rolling-cart-by-simply-tidy/M20002049.html

• drblount10
    2 years ago

(Sarah Richardson designs--she is on YouTube now)
    Keep us posted!

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Cannot find nightstands that are in budget.

Didn't realize you were planning on replacing the nightstands. Is that essential? The current ones look to be the right height for the bed. Perhaps the items in the baskets simply need curating to look tidy? I know you were looking for a dresser. Did you find one?

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

O not looking for a dresser. The one we have is good. It's just the nightstands that need replacing cause we can't hide all the junk with the current ones.

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Thanks for explaining, @Mallorie C.. I must have gotten your thread mixed up with another one. Sorry about that.

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dr Blount I completely missed your longer message above. Will look into the sconces. Also the paint may be a good idea. However complicated for at least one wall, as the stuff in front of it is heavy or immovable. Even with a husband ha! But that really only leaves me with painting the blue wall white, right?

• Mark Brunner
    2 years ago

Usually upgrading bedding is budget friendly.

• OhNat
    2 years ago

Maybe you could find some cabinets to go over your tables and mount sconces on the sides?

• tartanmeup
    2 years ago

Great looking setup @OhNat - wouldn’t work for me as I’d never fail to hit my noggin’ on those cabinets…:p

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That set up is nice!!

• drblount10
    2 years ago

Hi Mallorie! Sorry, I just saw your reply. Were you going to paint or leave the wall blue and yellow? Please let us know.

Blue and yellow say cottage to me personally, and I have an admitted bias about yellow walls. I have seen it look good if designed well. Just got inspired the other day re beach cottage. 

What do you think?

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Let me get back to you. You’ve sparked another idea but it would have to be done will. Did I post the new wall art I have?

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Will post later. All yellow walls may be the move.

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hey all. Just checking in. We are in the process of getting a new house. Only been here two years but we need a different place. Anywho. Got a new bed frame and have been trying to find nightstands to match. Have not had much luck. Wondering if I can keep these and paint them navy blue? Or should I keep looking for different nightstands and get blue lamps?

• Mallorie C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also hoping for all white walls in the next home.