Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jayzone10b

Anyone has Just Joey, Jude The Obscure or Crown Princess Margareta?

I am thinking about buying them, wanted to know about their performance in heat and susceptibility to thrips.

Comments (18)

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

I've grown Jude the Obscure since 2005 in this zone 7, hot dry climate, SW Idaho desert hills. It's slow to take off, but gets going and grows huge-- at least 8 feet tall, and has been for years. My Jude is grafted on Dr Huey and is not susceptible to thrips. Jude has a big spring flush followed by small flushes throughout the season. Jude doesn't like the heat, but the unusual and beautiful blooms with their scent are worth putting up with this moderately picky rose. Diane

Jay Zone 10B India thanked Diane Brakefield
  • strawchicago z5
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I grew Just Joey (grafted on Dr.Huey). It's a very short hybrid tea. Bloomed best in high heat and full-sun, petals are firm and last long in the bush. It died in my zone 5 winter. I checked with Khalid who grows Just Joey in zone 9b Pakistan, and his bush is small with few blooms.

Rose park here doesn't grow Just Joey but they grow Apricot Candy, which has much better bush beauty & 3 times more blooms and deeper apricot color than Just Joey. Apricot Candy is a bigger bush than Just Joey & more blooms & with prettier and glossy leaves.

I grew Jude the Obscure (own-root) but that died 3 times through my zone 5. Jude likes it wet & alkaline & loamy soil as own-root. Jude is compact and very small as own-root, but Jude needs more water than Just Joey to produce blooms. Own-root Jude is 1.5' x 1.5' here which would be twice the size in a warmer zone.

Rose park's Jude is grafted on Dr.Huey and it had 40+ blooms in spring, but became a stingy 7 foot tall bush (only one bloom) in fall with less rain.

I have Crown Princess Magareta as own-root for the past 10 years. It's a messy octopus. It can get 10' x 5' if I don't brutally prune it after each flush down to 2 feet. It's a big waterhog, needs tons of water to produce blooms. Mine blooms well in 4 hrs. of sun. CPM can be a continuous bloomer (no pause) in a rainy climate. CPM is the messiest bush and doesn't have the bush beauty of Apricot Candy and Jude the Obscure. Below is CPM after week-long rain in spring:

Studies showed that high nitrogen and high phosphorus attract thrips.

Jay Zone 10B India thanked strawchicago z5
  • rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Diane - incredible as always!! I don't think anyone can grow Jude like you can!!

Straw - Oh h ow I love your CPM blooms!!! :) :) I was thinking of getting it this year...but I thought that it wouldn't do very well for me. I still think that. :) :)

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Thanks, Carol. I hope your Jude continues to prosper. Diane

• librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
    2 years ago

I have CPM as a climber on a trellis along my fence and she seems to like that. I have to tie-in growth occasionally but not really any more than my other climbers. She wants to grow wide as well as up, and as this is her 2nd year in my garden, I'll give her a good pruning come February.

Beautiful, very fragrant apricot blooms that fade to yellow. Lasts reasonably well in the vase for an Austin (4 to 6 days). Near continuous bloomer. I haven't noticed thrips damage and I do have thrips in the garden (as well as thrips predators). She gets a little shade and seems to so okay on hot days as long as she's watered deeply.

Jay Zone 10B India thanked librarian_gardner_8b_pnw
  • BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

Just Joey is easily one of the very best varieties out of the 150 or so I’ve grown. She produces 5 heavy flushes, sailing through the heat of the summer with the ability to produce tons of blooms of decent size and petal count. Every stem ends in a fat bloom and she’s very well branched. there are never blind shoots (um Kordes) or long spider canes (eh Austin). I have her in the front yard and she draws compliments from near and far for her size, productivity, unusual color and strong fruity fragrance

Jude the Obscure is a such a unique rose with a wonderful tropical fruit fragrance. He grows strong but the flowers are rather fragile and fleeting, so not at their best in the heat of summer. I still find him well worth growing.

Jay Zone 10B India thanked BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

BenT, oh, wow, those Just Joey photos are gorgeous and impressive. I can see why you like this rose so much. How large is the bush? JJ is the kind of rose I'd like to grow. Those are lovely Jude blooms, too, and I agree that Jude is worth growing, despite his imperfections. Diane

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    2 years ago

@Diane Brakefield your Jude is amazing!!!

I have both Jude and CPM . Love both of them. Jude has the best fruity scent and unique form and color. CPM is first year for me. It has the perfect form and color.

Jude

CPM

Jay Zone 10B India thanked lynne CA Zone 9B
  • Mrs Teakettle z9
    2 years ago

This is Apricot Candy as a standard. zone 9 hot and dry. this site faces west and has stucco walls on two sides. so hot! loves the heat constant bloom, good in vase, slight scent. this rose is just a wonderful

Jay Zone 10B India thanked Mrs Teakettle z9
  • Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

Lovely Lynne. I especially like Jude in the vase--he looks so perfect. I don't think I've ever cut Jude for a vase. Does he hold up well? I love the perfect puffs of CPM with all those ruffles and in such a nice color. Thanks for your comments--you grow wonderful roses.

Mrs Teakettle (I just made some tea, by the way), Apricot Candy is new to me and I love how it covers the bush in blooms, making it a great standard. And a good color, too. I'm going to check it out on HMF right now. Diane

• susan9santabarbara
    2 years ago

I hesitated to reply last night, b/c I'm in coastal CA with very mild temps. But I have to say that Just Joey and Jude the Obscure are two of my all-time favorite roses. Kind of hilarious (given the difference in our zones and temps), but BenT's comments are EXACTLY what I'd say about both of them. I do get thrips damage (particularly bad on some roses), but neither one has ever shown any damage from them. Jude can be a bit stingy overall, but the grapefruit (?) fragrance is beyond amazing. Just Joey's blooms always make my heart melt for some reason. I would never be without either of these roses!

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Ben - oh my goodness!!! Your JJ bushes are incredible!!! The blooms are exceptional and so vivid!! And there are so many blooms!! Well done!!! JtO is beautiful too!!

Lynne - oh so gorgeous!! Your Jude shot could be in a magazine!!! The minimalistic white makes the roses pop!! And your last picture of CPM....oh my!!!

Mrs. TeaKettle - oh what a great standard!!! You really chose well!! Incredible!

• BenT (NorCal 9B Sunset 14)
    2 years ago

Diane,

Just Joey is a rather compact HT, probably 4-5 ft high and wide. I like that it has tremendous flower power in a moderate space. I think we see Jude in much the same way, uniquely beautiful . He only lasts 2-3 days in a vase for me.

Susan,

I’ve seen JJ in coastal California climates and think the color is especially beautiful there. I would think Jude might be a bit more durable for you (He grows and blooms just fine here, the blooms just don’t last)

• lynne CA Zone 9B
    2 years ago

@Diane Brakefield thank you, Diane! I have Jude in ase most of the time (I have three) and can't have enough of it. It last about three days.

@rosecanadian Thank you, Carol!!!

@@

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

The rose Abbaye de Cluny can be a substitute for Just Joey, though they're not identical twins. Abbaye is a Meilland Romantica hybrid tea. It blooms nicely and puts up with too much shade. It's a very non picky rose, but quite lovely I think. The blooms are big and the rose plant itself is large, too. It takes our heat well and is very cold hardy. Thrips don't bother it. Diane

• Diane Brakefield
    2 years ago

• rosecanadian
    2 years ago

Diane - I love the color!!! And I especially love the last picture!! :) :)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County