Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
t_jones98

Help with kitchen layout

T. Jones
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

So we have what we thought was our kitchen design, but then realized that the range is only 18" from the sink/peninsula and would be tight to open safely in that space. We moved the sink to the left as much as possible to max counter space, but even if we move the sink over to the right, we still think the range will be too close to the peninsula. Our thought now is to do a built in oven (not full range) under the counter on the wall with the fridge and then a cook top centered on the wall where the range is in the design below. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    RappArchitecture
    2 years ago

By definition a range includes a cooktop, so I'm confused why you would need two.

• T. Jones
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Thanks for the clarification - sorry. I guess I meant a built in oven, without a cooktop, under the counter. With a cooktop where the range is now. This should allow for the oven to open without concern of being too close to the sink and/or peninsula and would allow for the cooktop to be where it is now, where the counter space is not an issue.

• anj_p
    2 years ago

Can your sink move down the peninsula a bit? If you can, move it all the way down so the DW is at the end. The sink in the corner is cramped.

You could do an under counter oven instead of the range. But you could also move the entire range over as well. Under counter ovens tend to be lower than range ovens (and smaller, and more expensive). You don't have a counterspace issue if you move the whole range over - things might actually get better, as you would use the wall where the cooktop is for prep. Prep usually happens between the sink & range, so in your current set-up, you don't have sufficient space there. YOu will either prep to the right of the sink, which likely will have clean or dirty dishes (unless you are crazy good about your dishes), or over your under-counter oven, which means hauling dripping veggies across the floor. With the range by the fridge, you'd wash at the sink and prep on the right wall.

• T. Jones
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks for your comment! This is where our preferences are conflicting with space and design.

1. We host a lot, so would like as much open counter space on the peninsula as possible (hence the sink in the corner). Top pref. would be sink off of the peninsula, but I don't think that is possible.

2. We like symmetry. Our current range is on the wall, as seen in the design, but is not centered. We are very much wanting whatever we do with the range/oven/cooktop to be centered (or maybe in a corner? but I don't see a corner working).

3. We have trash and recycling on the end of the peninsula, so moving the DW to that space is probably not preferred either, but neither is the sink at the middle or right end of the peninsula.

Thanks again!