Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ali_g94

What are good mature, elegant, or even “neutral” purple SW colors?

Ali G
2 years ago

I’m to find the right purple shade for my kitchen cabinets (I know, it’s not the ”norm”. :)) but I thinking about a more grayish purple I guess or it can be a more mature purple color. And maybe a lighter accent color for the upper cabinets and frame on the door. My countertop will probably a ”Silver White” granite and Linen Shadow II blacksplash from Floor & Decor. Paint will be from Sherwin Williams. Thanks

Comments (28)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    2 years ago

Have you looked at their large selection of purple colors online?

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/family/purple

I've cut down the images below from the link above.

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Cannot wait to see your finished kitchen. I love the idea!

Ali G thanked Sharon Fullen
  • cat_ky
    2 years ago

Sounds like a fun kitchen to me. I would love to see pictures when you are done. Its always nice to see a room with some of the owners personality.

Ali G thanked cat_ky
  • Shannon_WI
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The thing is, whatever color we might recommend to you here, or that might appeal to you on the Sherwin Williams color chart, will look completely different in your home.

If I were bringing purple into a kitchen, I'd do it via the wall color, like in the first pic below. But if you like that color for cabinets, it's Behr's Lavender Memory M550-2. You can have SW color match it.

The second pic below is more gray-purple like you mentioned. It is Farrow & Ball Calluna.

My favorite is to have the color be the backsplash as in the last pic below (despite the awful island cooktop).

Behr Lavender Memory M550-2:

Farrow & Ball Calluna:

Tilebar Wisteria backsplash tile:

Ali G thanked Shannon_WI
  • Ali G
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I do love that purple in the photo, rebunky! If only I knew what color it was! :)

Shannon_WI, that’s what I’m worried about! I’m picking out my shades but worried they’ll be too ”pinky”! I do not want it to look too dollhouse! Lol! I do like all the shades you listed. I just happen to have the SW swatches in hand but not sure how much I trust it. Maybe my contactor wouldn’t mind picking out different brands. I had purple for the backsplash in mind to which my husband said no to that, but now I guess his mind is open to purple on the cabinets and the backsplash has already been picked, it looks like a gray from the photo online.

Sharon and cat_ky, thank you! You only live once and I didn’t want boring kitchen colors! No all white look for me! :)

My3dogs, yes I picked out a few but was curious to see if anyone had any input. On the lower cabinets I was thinking either SW 6558 Plummy or SW 6551 Purple Passage (but these might be too dark), SW 6557 Wood Violet, SW 6550 Mythical and there’s SW 9074 Gentle Grape. On the upper cabinets if I still wanted to go with a shade of purple it would probably be either SW 6549 Ash Violet or I could do something more grey toned like SW 6276 Mystical Shade or SW 6268 Veiled Violet. Also SW 9075 Berry Cream is a nice shade… Like I said too many choices and it doesn’t stop there! 😩🤔

• suedonim75
    2 years ago

SW Midnight is a really great purple. i have it in my spare bedroom and I love it.

• cawaps
    2 years ago

I have a kitchen pantry that is now on its second shade of purple (I changed the cabinets, and the original purple didn't go). I used Behr Blackberry Wine and now Behr Medieval Wine. And my daughter's room was painted Behr Violet Mist when she was younger. So I'm all for purple.

Of the colors you listed:

Plummy, purple passage, Berry Cream and Wood Violet seem like they could be a bit much over a large area. They are all pretty saturated and I find the more of a color there is, the more vivid it seems (I tend to pick a color a like on the swatch and then look for something a shade or two more gray, and that gets me the effect I want on the wall).

Mythical seems like it could work if you want a statement purple that isn't too Barney or Crayola. It's probably as saturated as I personally would go with a purple over such a large area (YMMV).

Gentle Grape and Ash Violet seem like nice choices if you want to go for a mid-tone (my personal preference would be for something darker).

Mystical Shade could look very sophisticated, but is quite on the gray end compared to the rest of your list, and I'm wondering if it will be too gray for you. In low light conditions, it definitely seems like it could look more gray than purple.

Veiled Violet is pretty. It reads feminine and delicate to me, and if that's your objective it's a great choice. You seem to like all shades of purple (hence your dilemma), so it's more about what kind of feel you want from the kitchen.

Personally, I tend to darker purples, and agree with Sue that Midnight looks promising. I also liked Exclusive Plum. I also looked at Autumn Orchid, which is a mid-tone on the grayer end of SW's purples, and a bit redder than some of the others.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    2 years ago

I would stick with dark shades -- otherwise you run the risk of your kitchen looking pink in certain lights, especially if the undertone is red. Made that mistake once with a bathroom... Even with dark shades, got to be careful with the undertone and how strongly it reads. Can pull a lot of red or a lot of blue and look a totally different color when up than what you thought. Definitely sample, sample, sample, and then sample some more, all the while obsessively checking at different times of day/light situations.

Also think about how saturated a color you want. Do you want something deep and muted or deep and bold?

The living room in my other house was painted an aubergine shade, and I absolutely loved it! But darn I can't remember the name or the company, though Pratt & Lambert rings a bell.

• just_janni
    2 years ago

Well now you've done it. I have a fullkitchen not yet installed and now I want a purple kitchen where my dark cabs are planned to go. LOVE THIS IDEA. And I'd want a pretty saturated color to ensure it's not lilac or pinkish, too!

• Jj J
    2 years ago

Eggplant, aubergine or plum type colors. Check out the gorgeous color another person wanted for her kitchen cabinets a year or two ago. It was gorgeous. Search for ‘plum cabinets’ or ‘plum kitchen’… anyone remember that?

• suedonim75
    2 years ago

Exclusive Plum was the color that I was originally going to do, but then I saw the midnight chip and went with that instead. Quixotic Plum is another great color.

• Jilly
    2 years ago

Hi, just wanted to say about that kitchen rebunky posted, it’s this:

https://ideas.kohler.com/mood-board/equinox-glamour-kitchen

They list Benjamin Moore Shadow as the color:

https://ideas.kohler.com/assets/equinox-glamour-kitchen.pdf

Ali G thanked Jilly
  • chicagoans
    2 years ago

(not a pro) I used to have BM Amethyst Sky on my dining room walls. It was really interesting to see how the color changed at different times of day and in different lighting. Sometimes it appeared very grey; other times it was definitely a purple shade. Loved it (but changed to more neutral when I listed my house.)

Because colors change so much in situ, I'd definitely recommend painting some big poster boards and living with different colors for several days. Your lightbulbs will make a difference too (e.g. warm white will turn colors more yellow.)

• sprtphntc7a
    2 years ago

we used SW Deepest Mauve for our bathroom walls and love it.

it is saturated, which will def. not read pink. i could easily see it in kitchen.

we painted our cabinet SW Morris Room Gray and i think it really works well together!

• rebunky
    2 years ago

Hey you found it Jinx! Now seeing the whole room, I think they went overkill on that lighter Sea life color. It’s all I see on the floors, walls, ceiling….way too much imo. But I do like that Shadow color. I might have to paint my laundry or guest bathroom’s yucky oak cabinets with that color. Fun Fun! It was 2017 color of the year. Does that mean it’s ”dated”? Haha just kidding. I dont care about trends. If I like it, it’s on MY trend.

Ali G thanked rebunky
  • Ali G
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Does anyone know if there’s a SW match to rebunky’s purple? If there isn’t, I’ll see if the contractor is able to get BM paint.

Also the contractor helped me pick out Dallas White granite as he pointed out it has purplish specks in it, is this a good pick? I was wondering if Ornamental White had more purple in it or is it about the same?

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

"Dallas White granite as he pointed out it has purplish specks in it, is this a good pick?"

You do not have to have the counter have purple the way your cabinets do, like a theme. Just have it look nice together.

But more importantly, if those purplish specks are actually flecks of garnet - ask the stoneyard and they will know - I would avoid that stone for a countertop. Stones from India with garnet flecks are in the family of the "Kashmir" granites. They are notorious for being as stain-prone as marble, and prone to discoloration as well. Another thing to note about garnet flecks is that they sound cool, but once installed as a counter, those garnet flecks look like drops of blood you want to wipe off.

If instead the Dallas White has purplish tones to it, and not garnet flecks, then it is not in Kashmir family - it is always best to investigate your counter stone's durability first, even ahead of its appearance. There are so many granites available that are easy care, there is no reason to get one that is not.

Here is a pic of the Dallas White granite I took off the internet:

Ali G thanked Shannon_WI
  • suedonim75
    2 years ago

@Ali G-look at SW quixotic plum. I have a paint swatch and its almost exact match to BM Shadow.

Ali G thanked suedonim75
  • Ali G
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Shannon_WI It’s from Brazil. It looks more of a dark plum or purple in the flecks and shines lavender in some parts in the light. I looked at Silver White first but the contractor suggested this one.

• Elizabeth
    2 years ago

Eggplant/plum would be the way to go imo.

• rebunky
    2 years ago

I would get a paint sample of both the BM Shadow and the SW Quixotic Plum as suedonim suggested. They do seem very close. I layered them below, but of course I used online photos which are not always acurate. It can look entirely different in your homes’ lighting.

The only thing I see is the Shadow (You can barely see the different colored square on the right) may be a hint lighter and maybe greyer??? I don’t think you can make a wrong chose as they are both so pretty and as you said ”elegant”.

Do you get to chose any granite you want or are you limited to a few choices that your contractor supplies? Can you wait until the cabinets are in and then pick a countertop? I was even wondering if a butcher-block countertop might look nice? I agree that you don’t need to have any purple in the counters to tie in with the cabinets. That way if you did ever want to change the color on the cabinets down the road, you are not limited in any way.

I cannot wait to see how things turn out! Please do keep us posted.

• Ali G
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dallas White Granite Kitchen · More Info

This is Dallas White (found this in Houzz photos), just imagine it with dark purple or plum cabinets. Yay or nay? I agreed to it last weekend when I was at the stone shop with the contactor. Hope the choice is ok. Black countertop would look good too, just worried it would make my kitchen too small.

@rebunky Butcher block sounds nice, but I have no experience with that countertop. Also I’m afraid I’m limited to level 2 granite. :(

Now I’m wondering if I should go with a spotless stainless steel or black faucet! Lol this is never ending thinking.

• cawaps
    2 years ago

I think the Dallas White works fine with purple.

• Ali G
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I trying to think of wall colors that would compliment purples! Should I go with some type of grey or purpley grey? My cabinet colors are SW Impulsive Purple, SW Concord Grape, and SW Aloe accents. And should I do an accent wall or one whole color? I don’t much natural lighting in my kitchen, just one big window on one side and it’s a bit far from the cabinets!

• Julie R.
    2 years ago

Painting is underway at my place right now…

While not cabinets, I just had a small powder room painted SW Expressive Plum. I figure the darkness will be broken up by the light vanity, mirror, toilet, etc.

The core of the house is becoming SW Origami White (a soft gray-white), with cabinets/trim SW Snowbound. Good luck.

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW6271-expressive-plum

• marge234
    2 years ago

litchfield gray is elegant and can look purple

• cawaps
    2 years ago

You have a lot going on color-wise. I would probably stick with gray. I was thinking, though, that a metallic silver would look really pretty, if you want to do an accent wall.