Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxpiper

How can we disguise the A/C hose?

Roxanne
2 years ago

We recently had split A/C units installed in three rooms that could not be incorporated into our existing HVAC for a variety of reasons

Our house isn't an architectural design gem, by any means, but the AC hoses don't really help.

Can you think of a way to make it less obtrusive?

We're replacing the ancient aluminum siding with HardiPlank soon, so now is the time to hide the hose if we can. It cannot be run through the wall for some reason, though maybe it can be done when we remove the old siding? Is that possible? It's thick enough that I can't see it being underneath, but who knows

Any suggestions?

The AC unit that is sticking out of the wall will be removed now that we have the split AC units

Comments (17)

• klem1
    2 years ago

There is no way of having lines inside wall until they reach above windows. The best solution would have been to mount unit on house near where lines go through wall. The lines can be concealed inside gutter downspouts like those on gutters now but imo wouldn't look any better than now.

• Cima Locert
    2 years ago

I have seen people install the AC unit above the roof (lots of them in southern California) You won't see any hoses from outside.

• PRO
    Austin Air Companie
    2 years ago

Usually these kinds of things are planned out at the time of install, doing them after the fact presents a few hurdles at least....

But this is what they look like. This picture below also shows old style traditional AC to the right of the picture, with older more boxy looking enclosure.

• Roxanne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yours is SO much tidier. I might show it to my HVAC guy and see if he can do a bit better

• mtvhike
    2 years ago

Even if the pipes/tubes are run on the surface of an outside wall, that installation is very poor. At least I would have run the pipes vertically to the edge of the roof and then run them parallel to the edge to where they entered the room. And why is there another AC in that same area?

• Roxanne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The three split ACS were installed in rooms that Barry benefit from the housewide HVAC or simply cannot be connected to it without total redoing the HVAC

I need to ask our HVAC guy to make it a little less horrible looking, though. He could have done better

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Austin Air's photo shows tidy installations with coverings over the lines for both the split and the minisplit systems. Though these have shorter exterior exposure lengths. Your situation with longer outdoor runs is more difficult but for sure it isn't as neat.

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

In the battle between form and function, function clearly won this round.

If you want to improve the aesthetics of the installation, investigate running the line set above the porch ceiling and into the rafter bay closest to the gable, and dropping it down in the gable end wall to the unit. That will probably involve a longer line set, some drywall work and painting, but the alternative is what your HVAC contractor delivered.

• Ellen Williams
    2 years ago

We installed 3 mini-splits in a mid-century modern. The main unit is on the roof; all lines are hidden in closets! We insisted that nothing appeared on the outside of the pretty house. It took a little time to design and install but we made it happen. The installer liked the challenge and was helpful after they determined what we accept and not accept.

• Cima Locert
    2 years ago

As I mentioned, on the roof ac unit is very common in southern California. not sure how much work will be involved to add the roof AC unit to an existing house, but that is the only way to install the unit if you don't want to see the hoses.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

"As I mentioned, on the roof ac unit is very common in southern California"

Really? What area are you thinking of? For the SoCal areas I know, I'd say they're not unknown but not common. Requires a flat section of roof and those I would similarly describe as not unusual but not common.

The negative of putting AC equipment on a roof is that doing so usually requires puncturing holes in the roof. Especially with flat roofs that are prone to leaking to begin with, not the best of ideas. There are neighborhoods and homes with limited ground perimeter space outside the structure, like in beach areas, but in such places, horizontally oriented and or wall mounted units (as in the first photo) are often used.

• Cima Locert
    2 years ago

West L.A. area, as you mentioned, our yard is small, many people put their AC unit on the roof, I say about 30% on my street. I know there are issues, may be cost more too, but we have no choice. Land is expensive here. I am lucky I guess, I have had my AC up there on the roof for almost 7 years, never had any problems. Since the OP think the ac hose is ugly, so roof AC may be one of her choices.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Fair enough. Roof mounting does allow for less space use when it's limited and puts the noise at a distance. I don't believe there are any in the neighborhood of my SoCal house though some houses don't have AC. For a normal conventional split system, I had one put in (on the ground) that blows horizontally and takes up less space, it looks like this:

• PRO
    Charles Ross Homes
    2 years ago

I try to avoid cutting a hole in a roof wherever possible. Keeping the outdoor unit close to the ground makes maintenance access easier, too.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

Maybe, though, hot attic work for equipment so located is probably no one's favorite thing to do when required, as it often is. Especially true in my area for many houses with cheaper slab construction.

• Ellen Williams
    2 years ago

In Southern Ca: the unit is on the roof where we can't see if from the patios that surround the house. All the elecrical lines, etc are in a tidy housing on top of the roof, again that we can't see. Each mini-split has all wires/tubes going through a closet then up through the roof, which is a bit of concern, but the installers did a very good job. The evacuation hose also goes through a closet to a drain in the sink. Here are photos of one of the mini-splits. Each one had its own design challenges to keep everything hidden, but it was doable.

• Elmer J Fudd
    2 years ago

As Charles Ross Homes commented yesterday, most designs and retrofits involve form versus function tradeoffs. Personally, I'd learn to live with any alternative that avoids punching holes in a roof. Holes leak, especially holes made at times other than when a new roof is being installed. Who do you call with a leak - the HVAC contractor? A roofer (who will shake their head when they see what someone else did) ?

Others will make other choices. To me, HVAC is function first and foremost. Minisplits even in the best of circumstances, unless built in in original construction as the ducted-ductless kind, never present a good appearance. In that situation myself for a retrofit, I'd probably opt for the low wall or floor mounted kind, run the pipes low along exterior walls (where they can be shielded), and punch holes through exterior walls.