Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mags_and

Curbless roll-in shower mistake

mags_and
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

UPDATE: My original post had an incorrect measurement. The drop down is 3.5". I have revised below, but wanted to note this as some of the responses may not make sense.

My new build was going so well, until...I noticed a problem with two of the showers that were supposed to be "roll-in"/zero entry, and were designated as such on the architect's drawings since day 1.

As built, however, there is a drop down of 3.5" from the bath tile surface to the shower entry, creating a tripping hazard (pics below). It's not a sloped, gradual drop down. It's just straight down.

Contractor -- who has been great so far -- claims the drain was incorrectly shown on the drawings in the center of the shower (see below) rather than shown with a linear drain against the back shower wall with the floor sloping toward the drain (see red highlight in pic below). I'm skeptical because (1) I've seen roll-in showers with center drains and (2) the drain they installed IS linear, but apparently someone just did it in the wrong direction..?

Note: The concern about there being a problem with the drawings was never raised to me, and I was not told they wouldn't be flush.

The cost to correct the error and make the shower entry flush with the bath tile is significant, and contractor is suggesting I pay (minus management fee). We're close to completion of the project, and I worry about raising a stink now when I'll need his cooperation on any smaller outstanding items. At the same time, though, I feel the leaving the showers with that drop is a real safety concern.

Any advice on how to handle? Also, does anyone know if the shower as is would be a code violation?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Personally, if it were mine, I would live with it and the contractor would still be great. I have never seen a "roll-in/zero entry" shower that contained water well.

What does your architect say?

mags_and thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • mags_and
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Haven't heard back from architect yet -- sent him a message yesterday.

While roll-in might not be perfect, to me the safety problem trumps all else. As is, I guarantee I will trip on the lip one sleepy morning and fly forward getting out of the shower. It's so close to being flush, but actually isn't, that it's way too easy to miss that lip. Also, I had wanted roll-in for my older parents who come to visit to make the showers more accessible.

The lack of communication is frustrating. If he felt roll-in had real disadvantages like the water containment you mention, that should've been discussed before construction so I could make an informed decision. IDK.

• mags_and
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is good to know! I will discuss with the architect.

• chispa
    2 years ago

Not even close to a code violation! That minimal drop is pretty common in bathrooms I see in FL and better than the showers we had in CA that had a 4" high and 5" wide curb to step over.

As far as your parents, make sure to install grab bars so they have something to hold onto as they step in/out, but you would have wanted those even with a flat surface.

• Mrs Pete
    2 years ago

3/4"? Less than a single inch? I understand you wanted zero entry, but this is awfully close, and if it's already installed, it's probably going to stay as it is.

I'd ask for some money off /or something upgraded somewhere else, and I'd want a sturdy hand-hold bar by the entrance (well, I would've wanted that anyway).

• mags_and
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It might be a little more than 3/4". Enough to get your foot in front and trip but not quite enough to notice so you'll take care to step up. Understand your sentiment though. Thanks!

• User
    2 years ago

Your tiler could have easily built that up to be flush with the floor with a custom mud pack bed. Then the waterproofing membrane would have easily been continuous from inside the shower out into the bathroom floor, as it needs to be.

Did you take pictures during the build of this? Because the next question would be how the shower, and room, were waterproofed?

There is a disconnect with the tiler. What is the skill level of the tiler? Did the builder throw it to his ”flooring” guy, rather than a true professional tiling contractor? The plumber should have set the drain based on the instructions of the tiler.

All and all, this is on the GC for hiring someone(s) who couldn’t execute, and didn’t understand the details himself. Is this his first time doing curbless?

mags_and thanked User
  • Helen
    2 years ago

Cost to redo would be high because it would involve essentially rebuilding the shower.

In terms of safety having grab bars at the entrance as well as in the rear of the shower is more of a safety need for ANYONE not just seniors than having a curbless shower.

In my experience, most seniors aren't in wheel chairs and don't need to be rolled into a shower. However, they have agility/balance issues which makes it more difficult to step over a high curb and especially having to deal with a tub/shower combination. Stepping over and down 3/4" is not a safety issue for almost all seniors - my father lived in an assisted living facility and it had an extremely low//narrow ledge and he had no difficulty using the shower.

You need to install grab bars attached to the studs for them to be safe. Since the wall tiles are already installed, you need to discuss with your GC locating the studs and installing them.

I did a gut remodel relatively recently and it is inevitable that these kinds of glitches occur unless someone is actively supervising the GC and even then some glitches might occur. Rather minimal but my shower was supposed to have a drain "cover" that was tiled but as it turned out there was some lack of communication with the plumbers who installed a drain that needed a standard drain cover. Theoretically like your glitch, it would be expensive to fix and I decided that it wasn't worth it and that it was better to have good will on tap. In my case, it was relatively minor and I adjusted by getting a "designer drain" from a source I located on this forum so it's more attractive than a standard drain cover.

In terms of who is at fault, I think you would have to hire a professional to determine whether "roll in shower" on plans was sufficient specification. Also - and not pointing fingers - the issue of there being a curb - however minimal - would seem to have been obvious while the shower was being built. Did you not ever visit on-site at critical stages?

• chispa
    2 years ago

Funny Helen, I am getting a tiled linear drain in my shower and was positive we had ordered it with a metal drain cover, but this was a plumbing supply showroom issue and not the tile guy. The other 2 showers in the house did get metal drain cover on their linear drains.

I am also surprised that the OP only noticed what was going to happen on the shower floor at the final stage of tiling?

• mags_and
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Some have asked why I didn't catch this sooner. I'll admit to not being as observant as I could have been. However, the honest reason is that as soon as the showers were tiled, the whole shower area was visqueened and taped. By the time I was able to see them, it was already too late.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022