Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_234311680

Asbestos in bathroom hole and tiles?

Nina S
2 years ago

1. Found this totally open hole under bathroom sink cabinet, condo year 1970. Can anyone identify pls what it is and if it is asbestos?

Right is something dark grey fluffy, middle is pipe, left kind of like fabric square pipe.

Would asbestos from this cutted wall (joints) be released into air? I have laundry in open basket right next to, do I have asbestos/fiberglass in it? A rug went inside that hole when storing, should I throw out? Could some asbestos dust get through that hole from renovations from other condos?

Do i need to cover it? Can I duck tape it?

There is some other hole not sure what it is and i should do something with it to cover it.

2. Can kitchen and bathroom vents have asbestos (as tape ,or stuck there from renovations)? We have strong wind here sometims and I can feel the air is coming inside through those vents and worried about dangerous dust coming in.

3. There is broken tiles in building common area just rug is put over it. Is that dangerous?

Thank you for any advices!

Comments (8)

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

Close the area off and call an asbestos removal company on Monday morning to come and test. You cannot necessarily “see” asbestos. Do not disturb anything else. You’ll be ok as dangerous asbestos levels are based on repeated airborne exposure. Should the area test positive for asbestos, the company will advise you of the cost of remediation.

Nina S thanked Sharon Fullen
  • Nina S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Sharon Fullen Are you sure its that serious? Can u identify it as possible asbestos? I understand this is the basic procedure if you find some possible asbestos, I just have no idea what this could be but also dont want to call the comapny everytime i find some hole or something i cant identify and pay 500$ or 1000$ so wondering if anyone knows what this is and if there could be asbestos.

• Sharon Fullen
    2 years ago

I believe there are DIY test kits sold at Home Depot but I don’t know reliability. Asbestos isn’t necessarily something you can see. The microscopic dust is considered toxic. It is found in a wide variety of substances used in older building materials. You might try the test kits but I don’t personally know the accuracy of these. I understand these remediation companies can be an unknown cost. I believe when they come to test they will review other areas within the home that could be potential problems.

You might also call and ask a few questions of the removal company.

Hopefully one of the pros will weigh in on this and give you their advise.

• kudzu9
    2 years ago

Asbestos identification requires specialized microscopic examination in a laboratory. "DIY" kits essentially amount to an envelope that you put a sample in and send to such a laboratory. There is no DIY kit that enables a homeowner to independently or quickly identify asbestos.

• Mama Cita
    2 years ago

Ask around your condo complex, what have others determined? If other condos weren’t built with asbestos, yours wasn’t either.

• PRO
    Turner Home Remodeling
    2 years ago

You can't tell if a material contains asbestos just by looking at it. Only testing by a NATA accredited testing facility can determine if asbestos is present. Am afraid, you'll need professional help for this.... and no DIY kits will be of any help here.

• Nina S
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you everyone! I understand only testing can tell if its asbestos, but I also know that by looking at certain things you can tell if its asbestos or not(eg.pipe should not). What I am trying to ask here is if anyone can identify those 3 things on the photo. Someone suggested the thing on right is fiberglass or mineral wool?, the middle obviously is a metal pipe and the left no idea. Looks like square fabric pipe with some dots all over. I know walls/joints can have asbestos but not sure if asbestos would be released if its there open like this but not disturbed. I also do not understand why they would leave it open like this if it could be dangerous. There was renovation done 2 years ago. We plan to sell the condo soon, so I do not even know what to do in this case as I know then you have to disclose it so I cant test the material. I just want to know if some of the things looks like asbestos and the asbestos now could release into air and the laundry what i keep next to it.