Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nikola_stojanovic33

Prevent Ficus Ginseng from diyng

Hi guys, about 2 weeks ago, I have bought Ficus ginseng from IKEA. He was fine until 3 days ago when he started losing leaves rapidly. Since it is autumn, i cant seem to find window with enough light... Is it maybe normal for leaves to fall off this much, and what can i do to prevent the plant from dying?

Comments (2)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    2 years ago

we really have no info on the stresses it went thru in shipping from grower.. to seller.. to you ... and that could cause some leaf shedding ..

and lack of light in your house in 2 weeks is not an issue that occurs that fast .. but again.. who knows if it lacked light in shipping ..

i dont know what to recommend other than putting it in the best light you can.. and giving it a few weeks/months to settle down to get over all the stresses ..

and no.. fert is not a response to stress.. its not hungry.. its stressed ...

do you know how to properly water it ....

ken

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    2 years ago

The plant traveled from the nursery where it was cared for after it was imported, then shipped to a broker (probably) and then to its POS (point of sale). There is no telling when the reductions in light levels occurred, but there were probably 3 instances where the plant was kept under a light load considerably lower than the nursery where id adjusted after being imported; so how long you've had it doesn't mean much in terms of whether or not the shedding is light related.

The key to keeping the plant viable and healthy lies in learning how to water it correctly and at appropriate intervals, how to fertilize it with an appropriate fertilizer at appropriate intervals, and working to ensure light, humidity, and temperature levels remain as close as possible to the plant's sweet spot.

A little about fertilizer ..... you'll find no credible directives that "sick" plants shouldn't be fertilized, but plenty of anecdotal suggestions based on other anecdotal suggestions. And, there is no such thing as a stress-free plant, so if we are to use "stress" as the metric by which we decide whether or not it's appropriate to fertilize a plant, we would never be able to fertilize. Plants don't get hungry, and fertilizer isn't plant food. A plant synthesizes its own food glucose/ carbohydrates during photosynthesis, The nutrients contained in fertilizer are the building blocks plants use to grow normally and keep their systems orderly. What should we do if the cause of stress is a nutritional deficiency of one or more nutrients?

I'm not saying your plant needs fertilizer, in fact, given the reduction in light load it probably doesn't at this time. I'm saying that because a plant is "stressed" is not a sound reason to withhold fertilizer. There is no advantage in withholding fertilizer any time there is a deficiency of one or more nutrients; and the best way to "reset" the fertility meter to zero is to flush the medium well, then follow up immediately with a production dose of a fertilizer containing all nutrients essential to normal growth in a ratio which closely mimics that at which the plant actually used the nutrients.

Al