Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ecam016

should I add base moulding to wall and fridge panel?

Elizabeth C
2 years ago

Hello,

My fridge panel and walls are aligned and the paint color is the same. Question— we are installing base moulding and we are not sure if we should add base moulding from the wall to the panel? I said no because the fridge panel is not a wall and there is a little gap between them. However, the GC is saying it may look unfinished or weird. I didn’t think of this dilemma. What is your advice? Is this a thing that’s done? Please help! Thank you!!!

Comments (19)

• HU-598189908
    2 years ago

No keep the moulding only on the wall

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I don't like the molding. Use a simple 1 x 6 - scribe to the floor. Too much "goo" on your selection. .......seems very out of sync with kitchen What are door and window casings?

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

I vote no due to panel.

• A D
    2 years ago

I like your moulding choice FYI! Jan dosn't ever seem open to anyone else's style except her own.

As for your real question, do you have any base cabinets that will be at the edge of the wall like that as well?

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am open to ALL styles. It seems not to suit the kitchen already IN PLACE, NOR ANY UPPER trim that may not yet be in place in that kitchen.. An entirely different thing, so please do not twist my words.

Nothing lives in isolation....... not even base molding and casings.......".FYI "

It's a nice molding for below..

• Elizabeth C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you all! I love the base moulding I chose and it will be throughout the entire house. I came on here to ask if the panel that blends with the wall should have base moulding. I didn’t think so but I was open to hear from all of you because I trust this forum. Btw, My gut reno is now getting the pretty stuff installed. I only showed the problem area. Again thank you all so much for your time ☺️😊

• Valinta
    2 years ago

My GC didn’t even ask and I never noticed until reading your post that I don’t have the base molding on my refrigerator panel and it looks great. So I say no to the molding.

• Kate
    2 years ago

I would say no to frig panel, but be sure to have a return at the end.

• Elizabeth C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ad, it’s a small kitchen—think galley kitchen and open to the living room. So the “island” which isn’t installed yet will be attached to the wall on the right of the fridge and we are putting a table attached to the island.

Valinta, I thought it was an odd question from my GC but glad he ran by me.

Kate, oh yea for sure. ☺️

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Your question made me turn and look at my refrigerator end panel. No mounding but it is designed to match the shaker doors. Same on my other end panel where I have my wall ovens and the panel on the dishwasher. That is one considerate GC! Glad he’s looking for your preferences on details.

• Elizabeth C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Lol! Thank you RedRyder 😊 I’ve really had such a great experience with the GC and his crew!

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I had small shoe base put on mine so the panel edge itself was not the joint at the floor.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

@Elizabeth C- I feel I owe you a photo of what we did. Same shaker paneling on the far wall in the photo where the ovens are. Keep us posted on your kitchen.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

First Jan is a pro and if you don't want answers don't ask the question.As pros we often see other things in a dilemma that shoud be addressed in our minds. BTW your GC should not be making design choices and and an island keeps this from being a galley kitchen .BTW I agree the trim should be very simple with those cabinets.

• Suzanne Peacock
    2 years ago

We have a similar layout in our kitchen. Our choice was to treat the side panel and hallway trim as one entity.

• Elizabeth C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Patricia—I don’t understand your comment. I do want answers from Pros and otherwise. I never said anything about Jan. I do and I stand by my comment, love my base moulding design choice. The pictures posted do not represent the finished kitchen or the layout. Also, I said “island” but I know it’s not free standing it is attached to a wall. I didn’t say it’s a galley kitchen either, I said the layout was similar. Lastly, my GC isn’t making design choices—he asked and gave an opinion which made me turn to this forum. I came on here to ask everyone for opinions regarding to add moulding or not too. To help me! For the most part it was helpful.

• Elizabeth C
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Suzanne, that looks so good!

• M Riz
    2 years ago

You know what they say about opinions. People are allowed to make choices according to their own tastes and styles. Im not a fan of unbendable rules or what must be chosen because of other elements. Im not sure if the pros take into concideration the wants of their clients, and try to work them into the project, or if they regurgitate the ”rules” of design, and steer the client towards them. I feel like Jan is pretty flexable about design as far as i have read. I do know based on many delemmas posted on houzz that patricia ”hates”, ”dislikes”, and ”IMO’s” entire swaths of materials such as wood look tiles that many people like, pantrys that many people want and any light under 4000 k which many people prefer. not to mention her intense dislike for quartz that many many people prefer. Do you just veto any client that wants those things or do you just go on and on about how much you hate certain things?

• han han
    2 years ago

Patricia, 🧐 First I don't see where Elizabeth asked if her base mouldings were a good choice or not. She asked ONE question which Jan did not answer. BTW I also don't see where she said her GC was making design choices.... infact I see that she stated he asked her which she preferred as to not make the design choice for her.

Jan, can you explain which style her kitchen is, because with the photos provided I don't see how you can come to a conclusion as to which style her kitchen will be.

Elizabeth- so happy you are loving your base choice. I don't think there's a right or wrong here, but if your gut is saying just end at the wall I say head in that direction. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County