Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pamelamacleod

kitchen decisions

pamelamacleod
2 years ago

We are in the demo stage of putting in a new kitchen. I just want to put this out there in case I am making any big mistakes. I’ll start with the floor up:

1. White with some grey matte finish porcelain tiles rectangular shape 18” long.
  2. White traditional cabinets.
  3. Black with some white mixed in granite countertop.
  4. SS appliances. Cooktop, French door counter depth fridge, cabinet oven, low profile m/w above the oven.

Thanks to anyone who cares to comment.

Comments (61)

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is the flooring

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Edit it and remove the photo by backspacing

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

There should be a prompt in the lower right hand corner of your post that says Edit with a pencil and Delete with an X written in light grey.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

I can see them on my own comment posts in this thread.

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks so much. Found it on the computer

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Kitchen before demo

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are taking out the top cabinets to left which lead into DR and extending the counter top about 10-12” so we can have a place for casual dining. There will be glass in the last cabinet over where corner cabinet presently is and we are taking right down to the counter. So there will be a small peninsula.

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

SS APPLIANCES and replacing the island that’s there with one made from cabinets. Also putting a solid surface on the island that will give us a little more work space

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Getting rid of those lights and putting in recessed lighting. Will put 2-3 pendant lights over the peninsula and probably the sink as well.

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

And this is where we are today.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Extend hardwood floors into kitchen, entryway, and powder room.

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks I know that would look nice but i dont want wood at the back door ( Canadian winters) or the powder room so going with functionality on this one

• remodeling1840
    2 years ago

I would like tile at the back door and in the powder room, but wood in the kitchen. The tile at the back door (without seeing a floor plan) could be installed to look like a welcome mat with a design.

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That was our initial plan but we decided to go with porcelain for practical purppses

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Day 3

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would rather you get a quartz countertop like that faux marble tile, than to use that tile on the floor.

this black slate herringbone layout would look nice adjoinging your oak floors. (you can also get this in a porcelain tile) Paired w/the quartz countertop and gold/black hardware, it looks great

To me, that marble tile doesn't fit the rest of the house style and looks like it belongs in a bathroom.

look around at some diff tile options. maybe a 24x24 charcoal porcelain.

Or, feather in some oak flooring like your other part, and have it all stained the same and refinished.

This is a red oak flooring. Nice stain color.

continue the wood flooring into this portion. by the back door and into the bathroom, do a black slate tile inlay. (I assume you're worried about the high traffic w/the wood flooring in that area. )

wood floors in both of these kitchen w/peninsulas

this one has the lighter oak floors and the marble-look quartz. against your far wall, maybe you could do a buffet w/glass cabinets.

I would also remove the microwave to a lower cabinet area and do a built in. Or is it mandatory you ahve it above the stove?

see my second comment for back wall dining area ideas

• User
    2 years ago

Do NOT use bathroom tile on your kitchen floor. Gwt a real, externally vented, hood. Skip any black and white counter. You need a lot more warm wood touches in there. Like a wood floor. And walk off mats at entrances.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Here's my idea for that back wall w/the dining table.

(ignore the window on this photo shop) It's a built in (Ikea Hack) banquette w/storage

here's a shot w/o the window using the Ikea Hemnes hack.

Looks like this when finished. if you need more seating, cut out the cabinet on one side and extend the bench for a longer table.

You can choose to do this wall many diff ways. have a larger bench for seating,

or just do a solid countertop all the way across, w/storage below, open shelving above, use a round table in front of it.

(you could use any color tile, use leftover countertop, or get a piece of wood butcher block)

or use the back wall for a coffe bar area.

If you like more of the farmhouse look, tile or wainscot that wall, shelves, and find an antique wood buffet or table to put underneath the shelves. do a sisal rug and a rectangle table.

You could find a second hand buffet/credenza, paint it, put it against the back wall, maybe do a wainscot, and some wood shelving. dark table, woven pendant light fixture

This is simple. make the back wall an art gallery, do a long bench for seating, and a wood rectangle table w/chairs. black/white Dhurri rug.

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We are working on our lighting plan for a kitchen that is basically 12 feet by 11 feet with a couple of intersecting areas like the entry to our basement stairs.

According to the general rule of 24 inches out from the wall, and four feet from each other, the first row along our ‘cabinet wall’, seems to make sense with three pot lights in a row. We also put two pot lights in our foyer. As well as three pendant lights at the end of our cabinets by the dining room where the countertop overhang from the peninsula creates an eating area with three stools on the other side. So we are comfortable with all of those lights.

We then went four feet in from that first row and put another row of three lined up with the first row. This creates two problem areas (question marks on the diagram). One is that the fridge and adjoining cabinet are 29” and 24” respectively, so the pot light there, aligned with first of the first row, would be about 7” out from the fridge and about a foot out from the cabinet over the fridge. Is that ok, or should we give up on aligning the rows, and move that pot light 24” from the fridge cabinet and adjust the rest?

The other problem area is that the middle light falls over a smallish ( 38” X 18”) mobile island. Is that ok, or should we have two small pendant lights there?

Finally, there would be two lights forming a third row (would be three but the basement entry is where the third would go). For proper positioning they would not be aligned with the other rows.

Your views and suggestions would be appreciated.

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I am going to the flooring store tomorrow and going to try to change to wood

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The suggestions for the wall in DR is exactly what my husband has been suggesting. It is small so I don’t know if there is enough room but I love the idea. We’ll get the kitchen done and then tackle that. They haven’t measured yet for he granite so I am also going to revisit the counter top. Thanks for all of the great feedback.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I understand your first thought for the floor was for practical reasons, but if you have tile at the door where all the muddy, snow-filled boots get removed, your wood floors will hold up. We live on a horse farm and I have tile from the garage entrance, through the mud room and laundry but wood in the kitchen. It works well. I’m glad you’re changing the kitchen floor to wood. Can you post a photo of the countertop you’re considering? I’m thinking something that mimics soapstone - or just go with soapstone!

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I can’t find a picture of it but it is black with white interlaced. I’m going to HD tomorrow to revisit it - they haven’t come to do the template yet

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I already paid for the porcelain eat the flooring store but it is not yet delivered so I’m hoping I can get a refund

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Urgent Help!
    Ok the flooring is cancelled going with wood. I am in the countertop section and trying to decide. This pic is what I had chosen but people are telling me it’s wrong. I will post other possibilities

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is granite

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Granite

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Quartz

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Quartz

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Quartz

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Quartz

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Quartz

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Quartz

• User
    2 years ago

You need to hire a Kitchen Designer immediately. Chasing after each element individually, without any regard to the whole picture, is what got you into this pickle. Plus you need an actual pro to fix that overlamped and wrongly placed lighting plan, plus a few more things. If you can’t find one locally, I know several who do distance design.

• User
    2 years ago

Do you have any choice other than Home Depot? You need to find a local fabricator who will let you pick out your slabs. For example, one choice you asked about is Fantasy Brown (which I have and love) but it is not a granite. It is a mixture of marble and quartzite, and no two slabs are alike—I mean they can be very very different, both in durability and look. You cannot get an accurate idea of what a natural stone will look like unless it is a very speckled granite or a solid black one. I think you need to slow down, take a deep breath, and research your options.

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you good advice.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

rtpaige03...Fantasy Brown is marble. There is no such thing as marble-quartzite combo. Quartzite is just quartzite. It can't be anything but quartzite since it's almost 99% quartz. Any addition of marble or anything else, changes the makeup completely. (The hard quartzite and soft quartzite is a marketing myth. soft quartzite is usually marble)

Pamala,,,,Pick your flooring. Then pick a countertop. I would suggest you take a trip to a stoneyard of some sorts. HomeDepot has limited selections, and they show you a small sample. Those samples are sometimes so far off the slab you end up with, they don't even look the same.

At the very least, walk around a stone yard and familiarize yourself w/the more common slabs. Granite,, marble, quartzite or the quartz.

This is from my tile and stone store. Has a huge selection of tile inside, and limited slab selection outside. in the foreground those are pre-fab countertops. they come cut to size. all you have to do is cut to install to fit your kitchen. those run about 600 bucks.

they have large slabs in the back that even include porcelain

a full slab of this runs 2300

or, they have this Infinity Crsytal Ice. (I believe it's a type of marble)

pricing:

Silestone quartz:

Do you like this look? this is Brittanica

I notice you were looking at the Silestone quartz. I have Silestone in my kitchen. (that gray one above) and it's held up very nicely.

Look at the Eternal line.

Or, check out Caesarstone. here's some of there collections:

When you have the countertops installed, bring home samples of tile and view them against your counter in your own lighting:

• john3582
    2 years ago

Have you thought about soapstone for a counter?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

The Silestone Serena mimics soapstone without the maintenance.

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Confirmed order of eternal statuario
    It looks much like the above examples

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Statuario

• roarah
    2 years ago

It is very pretty! I used a similar tile in my front entry vestibule, I live it!

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you. The tile was a bold choice for me but I really like it.

• User
    2 years ago

Very pretty

• chiefy
    2 years ago

Very pretty!
    What’s the benefit of doing a cooktop with the oven right under instead of doing a range?

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Crumbs don’t have a place to fall and I find it’s a neater look. Probably not really necessary but for us it was a little splurge.

• cupofkindnessgw
    2 years ago

Pamela: You should be pleased! Every inch is gorgeous. Congratuations on a stunning kitchen. Your hard work shows. I love the countertops and cabinet hardware. Beautiful floor too!

• pamelamacleod
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Oh my thank you so much. We worked so hard on it. We still have a fair bit to finish. If anyone has any suggestions on a backsplash I would welcome them. Thinking of either a white brick or a natural brick.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

The kitchen looks great! The floor is adorable and just makes the whole room sing.