Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salfin

Cautionary Tale: Do not order upholstery from Crate & Barrel Right Now

Yes, ladies and gents, even the pros sometimes order from retail outlets for personal use. I'm here to tell you my story so you don't suffer the same fate.

The supply chain and delivery woes are real. I ordered a sofa bed from C&B on May 11, 2021. The original ship date was supposed to be August. August came and went. Then it was mid-September. Then it was October. And now, it's projected to be early November. For those of you who are counting, that would be 5 1/2 months after placing the order. I spent over an hour communicating with their customer service team today and they either cannot (or more likely will not) tell me where in the manufacturing process my sofa is. I don't know if it's completed and sitting on a container ship somewhere off the coast waiting to be offloaded, or if it's still in production getting loaded onto a truck sometime in the next two weeks. Who knows? And if November comes and goes, I have no ability to cancel the order since it's a made-to-order piece.

C&B is not the only retailer having this issue, of course. But knowing how backed up they are, you'd think they would have had a mechanism in place to allow for cancellations. Apparently not.

My advice? Do not order custom upholstery from any of the big retailers until the current COVID-caused supply chain issues are resolved. Instead, either choose in-stock items or wait until we're past this mess. And if you're like me and have already placed an order that is nowhere to be seen, strap in because it might be awhile before you see anything.

Credit where it's due: they did refund the upcoming delivery charge for my trouble. Small consolation for waiting 22 weeks (fingers crossed).

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

As a designer this is an issue you should have been aware of in the Covid 19 time. I usually wait 12 -14 weeks for furniture from Italy at good times and would certainly expect longer delivery in this situation. The issue really is that the fabric is probably coming from overseas and C&B are not getting any better answers that what they tell you. All this stuff is just sit and wait IMO or buy off the floor.

• Angel 18432
    2 years ago

As of today, 100 cargo ships waiting to be unloaded. No wonder things are delayed.

• PN _Bos
    2 years ago

It's not just C&B, it's everywhere. We ordered furniture from Lazy Box in July - they told us not to expect it until jan / feb. That's about 30 wks +/-. Our vanity from Home Depot - which was IN stock & ready for delivery - took 4 months to arrive.

This is a good post to remind people to be patient, also I hear 2nd hand furniture is selling like hotcakes :-)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Well, I guess I'm in good company! Yikes.

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

The only good luck I had this year was a couple floor samples I ordered for my personal home- had both shipped to me in under a week because they were already in the states and in their way (RH and Room and Board)

• deeinohio
    2 years ago

We ordered bedroom furniture April 6. Projected date is now first week of December, from a USA company. OTOH, i just received notice our leather sofa, ordered about 2 months ago, is done and ready for delivery. Also a USA company. I was hoping to get before hristmas, so was very happy.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I ordered a custom bench for the end of our bed back in May 2021. Received notice that it wouldn’t be available until November. Just received word that it wasn’t expected to arrive until January 2022. At this rate, if I get it in May of 2022, I will consider myself lucky! (And, yes, because it is custom there is no chance of a refund. And I am ok with that.) Join the crowd!

• Emily Maron
    2 years ago

I am also waiting on a C&B sectional (US manufactured, with US manufactured fabric) Ordered in July, so my story isn't that bad yet. Though it has been pushed from early November to late December And basically customer service has said they have zero control over the delivery date My take away from that is December is just a date and means nothing. For what its worth, I did order a custom bedframe (but no upholstery) from Room and Board. They met their delivery date (beat it by 10 days in fact) - the lead time was like 18 weeks, but at least they seem to have a realistic grasp on timing. I wish I had picked a sectional from there.

I also think if they can't even tell me if the sectional has been started, I should be able to cancel it. Its a stock fabric, just custom configuration

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It is frustrating. On the good news front, the sofa was delivered last week. I noted that the tag on the frame said American Leather, which is the vendor that actually made the piece. I don't know if this is true of your piece, @Emily Maron Perhaps C&B has no visibility into the production status because it's not being made by them. Regardless, they eventually came through. But if I was ordering an upholstered piece from anyone today, I'd buy one that is already in stock. Custom pieces are taking FOREVER.

• Jennifer Svensson
    2 years ago

There’s a shortage for many materials and there’s a global container and vessel shortage coupled with lower efficiency at ports and trucking companies globally. This is not new and it will not go away in the near future unfortunately.

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nope, it won’t. Be prepared for six months or more.

• newkitchenny55
    2 years ago

I ordered a C&B sectional in late Sept. They have estimated Feb saying my sectionals manufacturer is running faster than some of the others they work with but they made it VERY clear that there is a good possibility it will be longer and to have no timing expectations. I thought they did a good job in store basically saying it could be a very long time. I’m willing to wait so don’t care. Obviously not everyone has that luxury.

• Lisa Schaaf
    2 years ago

I ordered from small custom shop in Jan 2021, it was supposed to be delivered in March, I received in mid June. Sofa foam for the cushions was the issue for the manufacturers. Shortage of petroleum based products. I wonder why...

• User
    2 years ago

i was told the production of foam was impacted when Texas had that power grid failure during that winter storm early this year. i have been waiting since September for an American made sofa due to the backup of orders from the foam shortage

• PRO
    Arlene Awarda Architect
    2 years ago

Thanks. I also looked at five local companies local and also national. For the sofa beds (and other furniture as well) the orders are for up to 14 weeks now. It says it before you pay online. So this is now across the board. I guess we all have to be patient now and be on a waiting list for up to 3 to 3 5 months for a sofa sleeper bed couch!

• K Laurence
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I’m currently waiting for a chair & ottoman from Room & Board that I ordered two months ago. It will be delivered in late May 2022 even though made in the US. I’m willing to wait for it because other fabrics available for delivery earlier weren’t suitable. The upside is that if I change my mind I can cancel or return the chair at an anytime, EVEN after delivery! That’s why I buy almost all of my furniture from them ( I realize its’s not everyone’s style though.)

• Helen
    2 years ago

I just ordered two chairs for my balcony from Janus et Cie and delivery is for NINE MONTHS from sending in full purchase price.

On the other hand, the chairs I have ordered from a local upholsterer at the same time should be delivered sometime in January as luckily the fabric choice I wanted was available.

Interesting article from the NY Times on how the severe labor shortage of SKILLED labor is impacting North Carolina furniture industry

North Carolina's Furniture Hub Is Booming