Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jill_callahan0

Before and After Front Yard Success

Jill Callahan
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

After removing 2 sickly King Palm Trees, we needed to redesign an oddly shaped garden area to the left of our front doors. I began interviewing local landscapers, but the ideas they presented were limited. I was looking for a designer who would use the garden’s odd shape as a feature. Instead, the landscapers wanted to go with something easy; rocks and drought tolerant plants. Definitely a good plan for some people, but not what I was looking for. I wanted imagination.
So, I turned to Houzz. I knew that somewhere there would be a Houzz designer who had been faced with a similar design dilemma. I began searching for ‘small space’ patios. I was fortunate to find inspiration in a design from a project by Peggy Poulos Designs in Portland, Oregon. Her small side ‘Old World Charm’ garden patio was the catalyst I had been looking for. I immediately knew I could pull some of her design choices and apply them to our front garden. I ended up creating my own hardscape design and then researched plants appropriate for Zone 10 and then found a landscaper who could pull it all together.
I am very pleased with how it came together. I want to share our gastly Before photos, Peggy‘s inspirational photos, and After photos of our beautiful completed patio. We are very pleased with how an oddly shaped area could become so pleasing to the eye.

We reached out to Peggy Poulos to share our joy but have not made contact, so I am posting here in the hopes she may see this. I wanted to share how her inventive use of design in an awkward space resulted a pleasing area of ’Old World Charm’ Southern California style.
I think my experience is the perfect example on how Houzz photos can be used to solve design delimmas. Enjoy our transformation.

Comments (16)

• Anna Devane
    2 years ago

That is sooooo my style…..love! Can you tell me the name of the two tall trees in the second photo?

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

Really nice job! What a feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction you must get each time you look at your eye pleasing design.

• cooper8828
    2 years ago

Nice job!

• Jill Callahan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Anna Devane, I am sorry I do not know the name of the trees in the second picture. I wondered the same thing. I wrote to Mary Poulos Designs and asked the name but did not receive a response. I think the trees have the perfect shape for a privacy screen.
    *That photo was posted by Mary Poulos.

• Anna Devane
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Jill thanks for the response. Thought maybe you had the info from the Poulos photo. You did a remarkable job on your garden.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Wow! Great job. It looks wonderful.

• Design2 girl
    2 years ago

Love this transformation! Such a lovely space, congratulations!

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    2 years ago

This might be Indian Laurel. But those look too large and will get huge for that location. Otherwise, love the sculpted patio shape. Nicely done.

• Buzz Solo in northeast MI
    2 years ago

Your yard came out lovely! Thanks for showing it off.

• felizlady
    2 years ago

Great transformation!

• tozmo1
    2 years ago

Great garden. I think you have the name of the designer wrong, it's Peggy Poulos https://www.houzz.com/pro/peggypoulos/peggy-poulos-interior-and-exterior-design

• Jill Callahan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tozmo1. You are correct! I totally confused’Mary’ with her given name Margaret. Thank you. I will correct.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

WOW! Your garden will now become the inspiration for countless other Houzzers looking for the same idea. Beautiful. And useful, too! ❤️

• Paula Barlow
    2 years ago

Absolutely beautiful!!!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    2 years ago

Looks great!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus