Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Best Orange and Peach Daylilies of 2021

shive
2 years ago

Show us your finest orange, peach, melon or apricot daylilies from this season. The next color will be near whites on Wednesday.

I don't have a lot of daylilies in this color class, and of the ones I have, I didn't take many photos this year. So here are the ones I have:

Maui Sunrise

Indian Ripple

Dance Again

Miss Demeanor

Debra

Comments (21)

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I have some orange and peach daylilies. This isn’t my favorite color category but it adds contrast in the gardens.

Mini Pearl is a favorite oldie, it puts up alot of scapes and blooms a bit later in the season. Bud count is usually in the teens for most of the scapes.

Mighty Chestnut blooms in a less than ideal spot, I dont like it enough to move it, the color is close to russet, not a favorite of mine.

My recently acquired Orange Smoothie, I hope this replacement does well, I really like the blooms.

Pizza Crust is a great performer here. I dont know what color this one is registered as but to my eye it is peachy hue, another one that blooms a bit later here.

Primal Scream languished here, it got moved and i hope it does better.

Peach Pizazz has languished a bit, this one also got moved. The color is hard to capture, this photo is close to what I see.

Soco Gap is registered as persimmon orange, whatever that means. it got moved and has done much better in its new spot. The blooms are always pristine, doesnt seem to be bothered by the dew, holds up well in the sun here.

Tyger River took awhile to establish, it started showing off on year number 5.

Sherry

• celeste/NH
    2 years ago

OLD TIME MEMORIES, is planted in partial shade so performance is just so-so

FLAMING FLAMINGO, is a bright one and good pod setter

PRIMAL SCREAM, so many have this one but it deserves a place in my garden. Does quite well

VT AUTUMN FIRES, gave some to Brad and I think he will agree that this is an amazing bloomer.

Mine started up in July and continued right into OCTOBER this year!!!! (all on original scapes)

SPIRIT FOX

Orange is my least favorite color in daylilies but this one called me across Harmon's fields years ago. It is one of my best performing daylilies so even though it's plain and orange, it will stay.

SPACECOAST BLAST OFF

Another orange that does well here and the color is bright

VENUS' FIRE

I have had this one for years and it is tall and a real looker in the border. Does quite well here.

PANIC IN DETROIT,

Super Tall (about 42 inches) and a bright beacon in the garden. Lots of people have trouble setting pods on it but mine is very pod fertile every year.

STOP THE CAR, will really grab attention

WALTER'S TANGO,

blooms are striking but on the small side. Scapes will lean in high wind or not enough sun. But the clump grows to be enormous since it is a vigorous plant.

• celeste/NH
    2 years ago

A few more oranges and then some which are more peachy colored:

RUFFLED APRICOT,

an oldie but goodie that is a reliable performer every year, great increase, bloom production, cold hardiness.

APACHE WAR DANCE, is a combo of red and orange so could go in either category. Wonderful performer/cold hardy and a pleasure in the mid-late season

RUNNING IN THE RAIN,

A VERY tall dip that has large blooms that twist and dance in the wind. Is now a huge

clump and a reliable performer.

TIGER TOWN, enormous blooms and plant

MEAN GREEN, just getting settled in my garden (bought from Laura last year) but I'm loving it.

Sets pods easily

TANGERINE TUESDAY, can get 'toothy' sometimes so I could have put it in that catergory. Most

toothy in hot weather but this one blooms in the mid-late to late season here.

VERY pod fertile, this one sets pods every time and performance isn't hurt the next season if you load it up. A massive plant with strong scapes and great bud count.

SPACECOAST TINY PERFECTION,

this is the only 'small' I still grow (with the exception of the Siloams) since I prefer large blooms.

But the blooms are so exquisite and it's a good plant so it stays.

FALLEN LEAVES

It's not a favorite since I don't care much for the color but it blooms late when everything else is done and is a good plant, clumps up quickly

HOT TOWN, an oldie that somehow stays. Color is bright and the plant is healthy.

This photo is of one fan I dug up when dividing and threw in the back woods and it grew on top of the soil....LOL. You cannot kill it!

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    2 years ago

We grow lots of orange daylilies, but not so many peach ones. Here are a few I took a pictures of this season.

Ashwood Inferno makes small fans (but it's a good grower) and the flowers are not very large, but the color is outstanding.

Bob Marley is a standout in our garden.

We continue to like A Man Called Trout.

Buddy's Betsy competes with Lava Flow to be one of the first flowers to open in the spring. This year both were beaten by Kiss of Paradise.

Here is Lava Flow. It has been in our garden since almost the beginning 9my first lily auction purchase) and will stay forever. It's a more red orange than Buddy's Betsy.

We tried to pare down the number of orange daylilies we grow and Flaming Flamingo was on the hit list. I think Bob has changed his mind.

More to come . . .

2 years ago

Extreme Tangerine is our intro from last year. It is proving to be a good parent for toothy oranges.

I might like Glowing Quasar better than Bass Gibson. The scapes are taller, but it doesn't set seed as well as Bass Gibson.

Raggedy Man is a great seed setter and a nice addition to the late garden. We love this one.

Saber Tooth Tiger is vigorous and hardy. It's not my favorite orange and it won't set seeds for me. Its pollen is good, though, and Its offspring often look it.

The Bride of Dracula is another favorite. It's a vigorous plant, well-budded with some height, and it's an excellent seed setter. I think we will get some good seedlings out of this one.

We grow many more oranges, but I didn't get many pictures of them this year. (I took too many seedling pictures. Maybe I'll post a couple of the best seedlings.)

Nancy

2 years ago

Here are some of our best orange seedlings from this past season. Orange is one trait we actively breed for.

Bass Gibson X Extreme Tangerine

Gerard Deschenes X Wandering Werribee

Pineapple Bites X Ashwood Inferno

Princess of Alexandra X Extreme Tangerine

Miracles Have Messages X Call off the Search

That's all for me.

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are a couple of my peach seedlings. I don't breed for peach, but I get a few anyway.

Aztec Headdress x Banded Broadbill - I like that the bloom is about 7 inches, much larger than either parent.

Victorian Lace x Lace Sampler open well is cool temps, always has a great edge, but is a slow multiplier.

Here are a few more registered ones that fit the category:

Minstrel Singer

Coastal Grand

My Pet Dragon

Debra

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nan - It looks like Extreme Tangerine is a good breeder for you! I do love that clump of Bob Marley. Raggedy Man grabs me too!

Celeste - Fallen Leaves and VT Autumn Fires are my favorites of yours.

Sherry - That clump of Pizza Crust is impressive!

Debra

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    2 years ago

I lost many of my oranges in the February Arctic freeze this year. I hope to get back a couple of my favorites next year........... Celeste: for not liking orange you sure have a nice selection. Sherry: I will have to look up Soco Gap. Nan: I like Extreme Tangerine, and your other orange seedlings look promising too. I'm so glad you are breeding for orange. Debra: I very much like the form of Dance Again. The color looks pale yellow on my monitor. Is it peach in person?.............Here are a few of mine.

These first two overwintered in the garage so had more protection then those outside:

No Way Jose:

To God Be The Glory:

The last two were outside in their little pots during below zero temperatures. Jerry Murphy in particular just shrugged off the cold and did great this year. I choose this photo because it shows how tall and well above the foliage the blooms are. It bloomed later and long:

Orange Smoothie. I paired this with an orange Kniphofia and the combo sizzled. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture of it, but hopefully both will survive this winter and I'll get a picture of them next year.

Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Maryl - No Way Jose looks so pretty with the blue flowers. Orange Smoothie looks like a winner too. In person, Dance Again is melon with some pink highllights.

Debra

• daylilybedmaker
    2 years ago

Here are my Orange to Peach colored daylilies:

PURE AND SIMPLE: I've had this one for years and will always have a place in my garden for sentimental reasons.

Robert Ellison Seedling: It is in the pink peach family.

Primal Scream. It has never reached it registered height.

TAINTED LOVE: A Bennett intro.

Continued

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

I have more of these than I thought at first!

Tangerine Tickles

Mighty Chestnut

Ashwood Inferno

Johnny Hodges-new this year as a bonus

At Sunset

Total Opulence

Lava Flow

Orange Velvet

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

And more…

Pointed Perfection-I love the distinct look of this flower

Apache Sunrise-first blooms always have that fuzzy, wonky piece on the petal

Wild One

Spirit Fox—might as well have a siren on it!!

• daylilybedmaker
    2 years ago

A very old Dan Trimmer Seedling from when he lived on Long Island.

Jack Be Nimble: A vigorous grower.

TECHNY ORE: a bonus plant from a LA win.

That is all for me.

David

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

David - I agree that Chilled Orange Sorbet is a good one. It had a spectacular year here in 2020, but this year barely bloomed at all on very short scapes. That one and most of my front garden was attacked by grubs. Sultry Spanish Eyes is very striking too!

Kate - Apache Sunrise, Pointed Perfection and Halloween Costurme are my favorites of yours.

I found one more photo of oranges from last year. This is Witch Hazel, Orange Vols and Inca Prince.

Debra

• Nancy 6b
    2 years ago

Primal Scream, used to do really well then moles dug under it. It got down to one fan, finally back to 3 but not blooming much. I know I am supposed to be posting my best, but this was once a good plant

Mean Green is a wonderful plant

Citrix is a good plant, usually reblooms but not this year

Choral Fantasy was divided last year and was unhappy about that

Tuscawilla Tigress in front

Turn Up the Volume

Volcano Queen

I can't believe I don't have a picture of Tahiti Sweetie, I know I took lots of pictures of it. Must never have downloaded them before I deleted

Love Panic in Detroit, lost mine though... Orange Smoothie, Tainted Love, Spirit Fox, Chilled Orange Sorbet, Bride of Dracula and My Pet Dragon. No pictures of My Pet Dragon from me unfortunately, it bloomed so well this year and I like the look of

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Nancy - Mean Green sure looks like a vigorus plant. I've always liked Citrix. If moles are tunneling under your daylilies, it's likely that they're looking for grubs, which are their main food source.

Debra

• Nancy 6b
    2 years ago

Debra, I am pretty sure I don't have a lot of grubs, just don't see them when I am digging. But I have an abundance of earthworms that moles also eat. It is funny that moles go around some daylilies, and dig right under another. but when I think back, it is usually newer daylilies that they damage, maybe the oldest, biggest dayliles are just too much work for them.

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

I'm not much into oranges either, but I do like really bright ones like Primal Scream. And I absolutely LOVE MAUI SUNRISE. I always looked forward to Julia's posting and glad that you now have it, Debra. Others from above that I like are Flaming Flamingo, Spacecoast Blastoff, Spirit Fox, Bob Marley, and Ashwood Inferno. And VT Autumn Fire is just as Celeste said, absolutely amazing in the number of blooms and length of the bloom season, It is my best by far.

Quasi Quasar, My seedling which is more of a red-orange and very bright,

Bittersweet Holiday, a parent of above

Tn. Sunset

Primal Scream

Brad

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

VT Sophie

Vt Autumn Fire

Santorini Sunset

Sponsored
KA Builders