Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hathaiamy_eamrungroj

Custom kitchen hood: Plaster vs wood hood??

Amy Sing
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Hi,

We're renovating our kitchen - we have ordered the cabinets, most of the appliances have arrived, and in a few weeks, we'll be installing cabinets, and making final decisions on design details. One of the BIG questions that are coming up is how do we want to do our hood - plaster or wood? Our general contractor said he can help us do either and a custom hood was already factored into our initial budget, we say the word and he'll build it.

I love all of the custom hood options below, but I have a slight preference for the clean look of the plaster, but a designer suggested that the look was too "farmhouse" for my traditional/transitional house and I should stick with the wood hood. Thoughts?

Plaster hood Inspiration 1 - Ursino Interiors

Plaster hood Inspiration 2 - Plank and Pillow

Wood hood inspiration - Studio McGee

Here's our kitchen in its current state. The style of our home leans traditional - see our dining room that has wainscoting on it (we will paint the room and nothing will remain beige, replacing the fireplace and curtains also to lean more transitional).

Here's the rough render of the new kitchen design. The appliances will be GE Cafe in white, so it will modernize the look and feel of the kitchen. The countertop will be White Mountain Danby marble. Lighting from Rejuvenation leans classic and transitional. The cabinets will be off-white (not as yellow as the render). The backsplash will be Zellige white subway tiles. The floors will be refinished to be more like the rendering.

Wood hood
Plaster hood

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I don't like either so not much help. They both have the same issues the surface gets discolored over time and also greasey no matter how good the venting which BTW needs to be as strong as possible vented to the outside and did you budget for the MUA which you will also need .Since you are thinking a more modern look if you were my client white appliances would not be my choice. What happens when one breaks down and now the maker does not have that color anymore and also never buy all appliances from one maker there is not one that makes everything well That is why plain old stainless is always the best choice . IMO your KD should have brought up those points. BTW the open shelves and everything on them will also get greasey .All those base caibinets should have been drawers too.

Amy Sing thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • Chris Cook
    2 years ago

If your home is more traditional I would go with wood, but if you're updating it to be more transitional I think plaster.

Amy Sing thanked Chris Cook
  • Amy Sing
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you! We will put those things into consideration! Clarification - the base cabinets are not drawers because counter stools will be placed in front of them. We got the appliances for a steal so we're okay with buying new again down the road, even if it means the entire set. I also don't like the look of stainless steel and the other option would be panel-ready appliances, which were much more expensive.

I'd like the house to be transitional and we're decorating with more updated finishes. But the traditional wainscoting and the traditional staircase spindles are both staying so it won't be completely modern.

We will ask our contractor to calculate MUA - my guess is that it's not a big deal since the entire first floor is a large open concept, tall ceiling space

• M Miller
    2 years ago

I have to agree with the above comment that the "clean look of the white plaster' you mentioned will become unsightly in no time. All you need is one tiny tomato sauce or grease splatter which you will not be able to clean or un-see.

If wood, will it be painted or a natural wood stain? I am actually in the camp of metal hoods, there are some stunning ones.

• Jill Hilts
    2 years ago

Amy- so glad you posted this question. We are at the same stage in our remodel. Our cabinetmaker advised us that if we choose wood the paint color will vary vs the wall paint color on the plaster walls behind the hood. We had planned on painting the hood white to match walls and now are thinking we may have to paint a wood hood green to match the cabinets. Will a pro please weigh in on this? We really do not want a plaster hood.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

@jill Have you looked at on line green kitchens to help in your decision. Personally, I would prefer color being off a bit than a green hood, but it really depends on the style of kitchen and your other choices. Think big picture and how you want overall kitchen to feel. Hope this helps.

• Jill Hilts
    2 years ago

Thank you for your response, Maureen. It makes me wonder if our cabinetmaker was concerned about how paint reads on plaster walls (which we will have) vs a smooth traditional wall. We have decided on wood and can test both colors after install. He paints on-site. Through our our entire remodel process our cabinetmaker has been our one bright light.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

My fireplace has a white plaster on masonry hood on it and I wanted to reiterate this shape in the kitchen so I had a hood made of white Corian that mounts onto hidden steel brackets attached to the framing. This gave me the appearance I wanted but I will be able to clean it easier than plaster or wood.

• User
    2 years ago

Wall paint isn’t cabinet paint, and the two never match 100%.

Unless you pay real attention to this being 27” deep, and 6” wider than the cooking surface, with a powerful enough blower and make up air system, youre just building a greasy filth catcher that you’ll scrub the finish off of trying to keep clean.

• Jill Hilts
    2 years ago

Hello Maureen! That darker green kitchen is our inspiration picture! I found the designer, Can’t recall her name at the moment, but know her design business is in Oklahoma. I contacted her through her website to get details on her paint color. My cabinetmaker is building this exact glass front cabinet with oak shelves and bead board lining for us. I absolutely love this cabinet.

I agree with you, green hood would be a mistake.

• Jill Hilts
    2 years ago

The green kitchen above with the glass front cabinets was done by Kelsey Leigh Design Co. out of Oklahoma.

• Amy Sing
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I know a lot of peoole like stainless steel hoods, and there are pretty, custom ones out there,but stainless is not really for me. Thats why I got the Cafe white appliances, and all my hardware in the kitchen are going to be brass.

I do like the GE cafe hood, but alas it does not come in the 60-72” I needed. if we build it with either wood or plaster and then paint it glossy white to march the Ge Cafe white appliances, would that look good? I also guess that gloss paint is much easier to clean?

Also, behind the hood is going to be tiled all the way to the ceiling, so matching the wall paint is not a concern, nor does it make sense for us. We need to either match the ivory cabinet, the blueish-white appliances, or the tiles which will be mixed shades of ivory and white. what do you think?

• dgoldberger
    last year

Hi! wondering what you ended up doing for your hood?