Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shive_gw

Best Yellow Daylilies of 2021

shive
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

From golds to mellow yellows, post the daylilies that lit up your garden this season. The next color in our series will be corals on Wednesday.

Bill Norris performed well last year. It had taller scapes than usual, bud counts in the high teens, and a nice rebloom.

Empire of Desire bloomed for a long time. It's registered as a rebloomer but has never rebloomed here.

From This Moment On lights up the garden in the late season. It had bud counts in the 20s, but was not as tall or well budded as 2020.

Green Mystique had some pretty blooms this season, but it did not rebloom this year.

Miss Goldie Gold Digger lights up the back of the garden in the late midseason. It's in too much shade now to have many buds or rebloom.

Lime Peel

Sun Temple Spirit is another nice late Hanson. Passersby ask about this one!

Victorian Garden Emerald Breeze has a pretty bloom that is sunfast, but it is a slow multiplier for me.

The best performing yellow in my garden was a seedling, Destined to See X Seedling. This one has had bud counts in the 30s with six-way branching. It has not rebloomed so far.

Debra

Comments (27)

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

I'm not much for yellows, but I do like yellow-greens like your Lime Peel and Green Mystique.

Ever since I switched from Microsoft Windows to linux, I can't use my slimjet browser and posting has been much worse. Here's hoping!

I have a few:

Claws had a great summer for once. Long bloom time.

Spider Miracle,

Desert Icicle.

Siloam Amazing Grace

more below.....

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

It took awhile but it posted!

Sun King

Hyperion had a bad year, but the scent was still great!

Seedling 2 from Priscilla's Rainbow x So Lovely. Really tall and well budded.

Sears Tower

more below

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

Seedling Siloam Amazing Grace x Indian Giver. The other 3 look like Indian Giver.

Noid. Actually has multiple colors in it and is lighter in color.

bee pollen seedling from Sears Tower. Also tall.

Ollalie Autumn Gold. Not a favorite but blooms late when the VTs bloom.

That's all.

Next year I may have one more: did a local trade for Green Inferno.

Brad

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    2 years ago

I didn't get photos of many yellows this year, but here are a few I took.

Big Bird's Friend is one of our favorite super tall ones.

Sears Tower is another super tall one.

Dances with Giraffes is relatively new here so it hasn't shown how tall it will get.

I like the shape on Blast from the Past. It is a super late one.

Sandra Elizabeth is another super late one.

Sarah Christine has a very large bloom.

That's all for me.

Nancy

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    2 years ago

Some yellows in my garden this season.

Autumn Minaret, tall, late and tons of blooms, never a disappoinment.

A delicate looking bloom, Brocaded Gown, probably growing in a bit too much shade.

A phenomenon here, Buttered Popcorn, blooming in complete shade, so it really catches your eye.

Ciel D’Or is good performer here and like alot of my daylilies its growing in a decent amount of shade, still pumping out a good amount of blooms.

My only species daylily, a Citrina, is my latest bloomer, Tons of buds always.

Coyote Moon, I cant say enough good things sbout this daylily in its short time here. High bud counts and a rebloomer here.

Faber Saber, I love this new addition to my garden.

Forest God was added this spring and surprised me with a few blooms.

Mary Todd was the first daylily in my garden in 1993.

Olfactory Evidence, a new addition and a very late bloomer.

Solar Blast is fairly new here. It has rebloomed and has increased nicely.

sherry

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    2 years ago

Yellow is my favorite color in daylilies. Many yellows are not sunfast/colorfast so they get eliminated fairly quickly. That still leaves so many to choose from and I've had to make difficult choices as I've downsized my garden. Sherry: Mary Todd was one I still miss. The trumpet shaped blooms were different for me and I hated to give her up.......Nan: I like Big Birds Friend. As to yellows, is your own hybrid Krakatoa Katie still around? I liked her.........Brad: Siloam Amazing Grace has always looked good for you......Debra: Green Mystique is another treasured memory for me. And you know how much I liked your Miss Goldie Gold Digger. She's one of the few UF's I have kept in my garden..........I'll do my pictures under separate cover..............Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

Sherry, your Cetrona looks as well budded as my VTs. If I understand the VTs, they are just a step away from the species. I like Brocaded Gown.

I forgot to post my Ciel D'or. It always pumps out the buds and like yours is in lots of shade. Great plant! Actually there is a clump shot under reds as it is behind Hot Wheels in the photo.

Brad

• celeste/NH
    2 years ago

My yellows:

PLANET CLAIRE

Wins hands-down as my favorite yellow. It's such a great plant with unique blooms. It does

very well here in New Hampshire.

EMMA'S GREEN GIANT

I had given this one away but then a single fan popped up and bloomed so pretty that I dug that fan up and put it in a better spot.

SIMPLICITY IN MOTION
    a GREAT daylily year after year

GOLDEN HIBISCUS

blooms are flat-faced and very gold

WINDYHILL'S DISCOVERY

new to me this year, tall and a large bloom; very pod fertile

THE JURY'S OUT

just a plain yellow flower but the late season wouldn't be the same without it. Amazing bloom production.

ERIN LEA

a cheerful yellow and a good all-around daylily

WIND SONG

a golden 'oldie' that is fragrant and a favorite of mine

CHEDDAR CHEESE

ok, so the color may not be to everyone's 'taste' since it's cheese-colored....lol.....but it's a top

performer in my garden. Very reliable.

HEAVENLY CURLS

Is a very pale yellow, fading to white

• celeste/NH
    2 years ago

LUNA

YAZOO ELSIE HINTSON

got this from Kate and it is a HUGE bloom!

PINHILL TALL GODDESS

Puts on a show in the late season, VERY TALL (about 42 inches) and very hardy & healthy

SOLAR MUSIC

COUSIN SUZANNE

DESERT ICICLE

YELLOW SATELLITE

this is an ENORMOUS bloom.....about 9 inches!!!

MYNELLE'S STARFISH

the bad news is the scapes are short; the good news is the blooms are really unique

LIVING IN AMSTERDAM

SILOAM HAROLD FLICKINGER

SUN TEMPLE SPIRIT

CAPACITY FOR WONDER

I show this one every year but it's an unknown. Not sure if it's a seedling or a registered cultivar but I got it from Carl Harmon who dug it out of Steve Moldovan's field many years ago.

BANANA CREAM BEAUTY

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

Ahhhh, yellow!!! Be still my heart!!! Like Maryl, these make my heart sing!!! I love these spots of sunshine in my garden. I cannot begin to post more than a smidgin of all I have!!

Patsy Carpenter is isually more yellow but always huge

Spider Miracle

My Utmost for His Highest

Let Loose

This was spectacular. Unknown at this time but doable in tracking down the name through past orders!

BBU-(Beautiful but unknown)

Mister Greenjeans

Sarah Christine

Monster (and so it is)

Solar Music

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

And more…

Festive Jousting

And yes Maryl, I have Golden Child which is fabulous

Of course, my favorite, a noid I garden named Kate’s Smile —it is consistent, large and bright. I don’t have a lot of garden visitors but when I do, if this one is blooming, they are drawn to it

Hernando Star

Simplicity in Motion

Butter Cream

So many more but I don’t want to ”overfill” my space!!!

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    2 years ago

Kate: RE: Golden Child.......Should have known if it was a yellow chances are you'd have it. You appreciate an even wider range of shades of yellow then I do. So many nice ones. My Utmost For His Highest reminds me of the color gradations of my Buzz Saw - from paler yellow to near white. It has nice edges........I hope you find out the name of your "spectacular" medium yellow noid. I like that too..........Maryl

• Brad KY 6b
    2 years ago

You have a number of yellows that I like Celeste. I like the ones either with green or white throughout. Planet Claire, Emma Green Giant, Simplicity in Motion, Heavenly Curls, Yazoo Elsie Hintson, and Cousin Suzanne are all really pretty. Pretty amazing to find that many when generally yellow don't float my boat!

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

Maryl, yes, I don’t think I ever met a yellow I did not like!! I will be able to identify ”spectacular” through a little research. A few years ago a neighborhood dog decided to rearrange my tags in that area. I know wherr that order originated; the problem is that several lilies in that bed are yellow!! Here is a photo of Golden Child from last year showing how lovely these blooms can be.

A few more!

Ruffled Perfection

Omomuki in the foreground-another great performer

Mega Monster-new this year

Ben Bachman

Yellow Mammoth

Yazoo Elsie Hintson

• hoosier_nan (IN z5b/6a)
    2 years ago

Maryl, we still have Krakatoa Katie but we call her orange. We lost all our stock and only one other person had it. He generously gave us back 6 fans and we now have it in three locations in the garden. One of them bloomed this season, but I didn't get a good picture of it. Here is a picture from a previous year.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    2 years ago

Kate: Ruffled Perfection is another pretty one. I know you love yellow. BTW: How did your Reimers do this year?.............Nan: Orange is good for me. I've sent you an e-mail from your website address.................Maryl

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

Maryl, I am very pleased with my first year Reimers. They put a lot of energy into multiplying fans but all scaped and bloomed-the big flat blooms I like!

• daylilybedmaker
    2 years ago

Here are my yellows:

YADA YADA YELLOW

CARELESS DREAM - A Bennett intro. It is a peachy pinkish yellow.

Skinny Dipper

Solar Music

Continued

David

• daylilybedmaker
    2 years ago

Buttercream

Siloam Melvin's Yellow

Bill Norris

Caribbean Whipped Cream

That is all for me.

David

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    2 years ago

Even though I favor more golden yellows, Buttercream looks so nice. There's a miniature rose called Buttercream too that's very well regarded. Something in the name perhaps?.........Maryl

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I don't pay much attention to yellows - except that I notice how great they look with purples. The ones that do captivate me have either an amazing shape or a great edge. Those that captivated me on this thread include:

Amazing Shapes: Simplicity in Motion, Desert Icicle, Olfactory Evidence and Living in Amsterdam.

Great Edges: Golden Child, Golden Hibiscus and Butter Cream.

Great photo composition: Maryl's Lisa Apps Sybrandt

Here's one more of my yellows that always does well:

Sweeten Creek is a reliable rebloomer.

Debra

• lilykate7a
    2 years ago

And, can I add, sometimes they look great with red!!!! :)

• B in 8a DFW
    2 years ago

Marquee Moon

• shive
    Original Author
    2 years ago

B in 8a - Thanks for joining us! Marquee Moon has such a fantastic edge! Thanks for posting your photos.

Debra

• B in 8a DFW
    2 years ago

@shive Thanks!

• gadaylily
    2 years ago

Isle of Capri