Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristi_king63

Furniture in narrow family room with 65 inch tv, fireplace and windows

Kristi
2 years ago

I would like some input on our family room. It is the one room in the house that is dedicated completely to relaxation and media. We have four reclining spaces, a 65 inch TV, and various gaming consoles. As we are redecorating to bring our house out of the ‘90s, we’re trying to figure out how to update our TV setup and furniture layout. We never use our fireplace and about 15 years ago, we bought a nice entertainment center and put it ON the hearth. The front of the entertainment center sits on the carpet and the back of it sits on the raised hearth. We had a workman cut off a couple of inches off of the back of the entertainment center so that it was level. Nobody can tell we have a fireplace behind there. Now, 15 years later we’re ready to say goodbye to the dated entertainment center. There is no room for the large tv to be in either corner. The room is 13x17 so it’s fairly narrow. I would like to put the TV on a 72-80 inch lower profile console but I’m not sure how to hide the fireplace. Also, I’m not sure what is the best layout for the seating. The chairs and sofa will stay. Lamps and table can all go. I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (28)

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

The present entertainment center is not the only item keeping your space in the 90s. For your purposes you have found interesting and amazing solutions. As you said your present console hides what you can't remove...you are keeping your chairs...so swap out the lamps and 'end tables' and call it good. If you go to TV above the fireplace and two large book cases on either side you could house your components...but what you have works so don't see the point.

Kristi thanked arcy_gw
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Can you remove the book case and show us the FP. Maybe there’s what to work with.
    Maybe we can remove the facade around it and do some more updated built ins

There is so much you can do with this space.
    Tell us more, what are you willing to do at this time?

A few ideas:
    Built ins around FP

A cabinet to close off the tv when not in use (above the FP also) see photo number 1 below.

Tv frame so it looks nice when the tv isn’t being used.

Built ins - many types of built ins ...
    typical shelving and storage
    Or
    Bench seating on the sides
    Or cabinetry
    Or desk space .....

Options are close to endless!! Take the time to digest what your needs are and come up with a long term plan!

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Bench seating

Kristi thanked HU-187528210
  • Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Arcy, lol 😂 Yes, there is much dated about this room. When i allowed recliners into the room, i knew i was ceding it to a certain look. My hope was to update the rest. Truly, everything can go except the tv, sofa, and chairs. Hu - we are willing to do quite a lot . We are changing out the carpet and all of the floor base and wood wrap around the windows. We will also be painting. I love the rectangular gas fireplace idea. We dont want to crane our necks to look at the tv too high and I don’t want to fry the OLED tv. Is it safe?

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also, the tilted sofa is very functional for watching tv but looks strange to me. However, the room is too narrow to face the tv straight on. and still be able to get in and out of the room due to a pesky but needed half wall. I would love furniture layout suggestions, too with the idea that we can’t do a straight on sofa.

• Sofia
    2 years ago

Can you post a floor plan with dimensions and windows, doorways, half walls, etc noted? I’m kind of wondering if the tv could be moved to the wall where the mirror is now…

Kristi thanked Sofia
  • Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sofia, I will try to do that later today. We have toyed with the idea of putting the tv over there. Having the furniture backed to the window seemed less desirable but I’m trying to consider all options.

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also, here are a couple of photos of the fireplace behind the entertainment center.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

what is across from the fireplace? the other end of the room, can you do a drawing of the space?

Kristi thanked RL Relocation LLC
  • Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I will do that this evening, RL

• elcieg
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Installed properly, something on this idea should cover the fireplace.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

A few layout options :

If we Sheetrock over the fireplace you can do a sectional, with the long part against the FP wall. And the chaise piece on the window wall.
    Then the tv can go on the mirror wall.

Either on a swingable arm. Or regular.

Another idea would be to keep the FP. And have the tv on the mirror wall with sofa against the windows and the two chairs on the left of that.

Would you consider a slip cover over the sofa to brighten things up (no clue where you’d even get one and if it would look nice on that shape. But may be worth the try)

Or sofa on the mirror wall. And the two chairs across the tv

Regardless I think in all situations you should have a swing arm for the tv to maximize the practicality.
    Sounds like thats your priority. Rightfully so :)

I would then remove what you know your are ridding of.
    I.E. remove the tv bookcase and the rug, and whatever else you plan to change.
    And start afresh.
    Try out some furniture layouts, and pick what’s most comfortable for you.
    And then we decorate!!!

I also want to see the FP uncovered. And see if it’s worth featuring or possibly covering up.

Decorate after you know what you plan to do with the space. So you can design around that!

Kristi thanked HU-187528210
  • Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hu and Judiana - and everyone - you guys rock! What wonderful ideas! I'm annoyed I have to work and can't focus on this exclusively right now. :) I'll answer more this evening. Thank you, all!

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Looks like the e-center is in parts so think about dismantling it, just keeping the bottom three cabinets. Then move that to the mirror wall, adjust the seating to see how that feels to you. It could be a great solution and the fireplace might make an additional focal point for you. Can it be retrofitted so as not to have to haul wood into the house?

Kristi thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I tried the tv against the mirror wall and the furniture against the window wall. It seemed like it was worth a try. It ended up looking really odd and made the room look even more disproportionately narrow. And yes, it is a smaller tv here as a stand-in. Then I tried putting the sofa straight against the mirror wall and the two recliners against the window wall. I liked that much better. I could swap the sides for the sofa and chairs, too, but I don't think I can handle moving anymore furniture for tonight.

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’ve attached a measurements photo. People also asked what is connected to the family room and I included those photos.

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Have you considered modifying and enlarging the pony wall? Pre-wire it for the TV and get rid of the e-center entirely. Put the two loungers on swivel bases. That will give you a lot more flexibility with the furniture arrangement and two focal points. Here's an example, but yours could be larger and higher if need be to get TV at the right height for viewing.

stairs · More Info

Kristi thanked decoenthusiaste
  • Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

That's a great out-of-the-box idea, Deco!

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

It seems like my photos don't always upload. I am trying again for the sofa against the wall pictures.

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• Kristi
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

that last photo works great. now to move the rug and entertainment center.

Kristi thanked RL Relocation LLC