Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_529376443

Need help working around our 80’s honey oak cabinets and black counter

Sunshine Anderson
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

BACKGROUND:

We recently purchased a new townhome and our 1983 original kitchen needs updating. We dont have the budget for a full remodel and everything is solid and well-built. What would you do?

Here’s our kitchen:

So far, we’ve removed the backsplash, marble floor, and pendent light. We’ve installed new porcelain floors, closed the wall nook, and purchased new stainless-steel appliances (to be delivered soon). Here are the new floors:

PROBLEM:

Now that the floor is down (albeit still dirty and unfinished) I am panicking. The orange toned, oak, bead-board cabinets, along with the black granite countertop feels unsettling and outdated.

Here is an upclose photo of our cabinets:

Here is a link to our counter:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/STONEMARK-3-in-x-3-in-Granite-Countertop-Sample-in-Absolute-Black-DT-G771/203271010#overlay

WHAT I HOPE TO ACCOMPLISH:

I need backsplash, wall paint, and new lighting that will work cohesively with the fixed elements of the kitchen for a more transitional, Architectural Digestesque design style. The new flooring is neutral and looks great with light woods, grays, beiges and especially medium/dark wood. The rest of our home has varying wood and marble elements and the dinning room (off the kitchen) backs into a wooded area. How do I finish this off?

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS:

Option 1

Dramatic minimalism - Paint the walls Sherwin Williams Assessable Beige. This color seems to work with the floors, black counters and tones down the orange in the cabinets. Look for a plain Greige backsplash that closely matches Sherwin Williams Assessable Beige paint color so that the backsplash blend into the walls almost seamlessly. Tie in the black countertop with a black post-modern pendent light and consider painting the kitchen ceiling dark.

Link for possible paint colors: https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7036-accessible-beige

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/color/find-and-explore-colors/paint-colors-by-family/SW7048-urbane-bronze

Option 2

Earthy - Install a pistachio (tan/green) colored backsplash and a dark wood pendent light that has some movement. Paint color TBD.

(Side note: I have two subway tile samples (3X12 and 3X6) that are slightly different shades of pistachio. I loved them in the store but it felt too retro once I got them home and next to the cabinets. The large white flush mount light (which I am open to replacing or keeping) currently has florescent bulbs which we are replacing with LEDs. The backsplash colors and and bead-board cabinets may will look different once the bulbs are replaced.

Here is an inspiration photo:

I am open to any thoughts, suggestions, options, new ideas, renderings, feedback, etc. I am afraid I’ve gone down a rabbit hole. Thank you all so much!

Comments (37)

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

There is no question that everything will look different without the fluorescent lighting; the lighting is the biggest issue with the space.

The new floor is nice and is an improvement over the other floor, but I don’t know that it is the best choice with the cabinets. The existing cabinets, countertops and appliances are already up to date. A different wall color will definitely help the space, overall. Something in the warm whites. But the lighting has to be settled before you choose other paint color(s) and finishes.

Sunshine Anderson thanked freedomplace1
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

What if you coordinated the wall color in version two to the pistachio backsplash, in the same vein of what you are doing in version one? 80s tile backsplashes would have been 4.25"-6" square or plain mosaic like 2x2"

Sunshine Anderson thanked palimpsest
  • Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@freedomplace1. Thank you. Yes, I am thinking I should have went for solid flooring and now it’s too late. Worse of all, the flooring was expensive. Great advice regarding getting the lighting figured out before make more decisions.

• Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@MizLizzie. Thank you. Also, I‘ve never heard of a Ruggable rug. Thank you for sharing. I need that!

• Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@palimpsest. I did think of that and will

continue to sample tile in that color family. It is really hard to see the true colors (even during the day) with the existing light source. Thank you for sharing the size of 80’s tile. That’s interesting to know.

• MizLizzie
    2 years ago

Palimpsest is right. And your floor is fine. Totally fine. We always second guess midway. Keep plowing.

Sunshine Anderson thanked MizLizzie
  • HU-187528210
    2 years ago

I actually like the cabinets a lot!!
    Very mid century.

I’d find out if you can have the countertops leathered ...

New lighting
    New cabinet hardware and
    Fun accents will bring the space together.

It looks a lot better than you think it does!!
    I like this space a lot. Very modest and tasteful 💖

Sunshine Anderson thanked HU-187528210
  • Sunshine Anderson thanked HU-187528210
  • freedomplace1
    2 years ago

Don’t worry about the floor. It’s a nice floor! Right now there is a very unflattering “spotlight” on everything, with the fluorescent lighting, With better lighting, the floor will blend more into the background and will be an elegant touch in the space. Some people may come through here and tell you to do 4000k LEDs, etc., but I do not personally love LEDs and 4000k is really not much of a step up from glaring, harsh fluorescents, imo. I would recommend that you get a nice overhead fixture that is dimmable and also bring in some under cabinet lighting. A nice pendant here and there, if you like. You could also consider a couple of small well-placed can lights. Adjusted lighting is really going to make a big difference in your space. It’s a very nice kitchen.

• Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@MizLizzie Thank you. I appreciate all feedback but I really needed your encouraging words. I will keep plowing!

@HU-187528210 Thank you. I like the suggested hardware and would love to know what you’re thinking in terms of fun accents. I had also never heard of leathering granite. Thank you for sharing your ideas/thoughts. Do you have any lighting suggestions?

@freedomplace1 I know very little about lighting and have had a hard time finding a pendent light (I’ve already returned two fixtures). Would you suggesting eleminating the flushmount since the only thing we can convert it to is LED, opting instead for can lights?

Does anyone have any other suggestions on lighting? I am open and really do need to figure the lighting out next. I thought the oversized flushmount light was sort of cool but if I cant configure it to a good lighting source, it will have to go.

Thank you, everyone! I appreciate your feedback so much!

• tdemonti
    2 years ago

Have you thought aboutreplacing some appliances with stainless?

Sunshine Anderson thanked tdemonti
  • Port of Indecision
    2 years ago

I feel like a coat of whatever the not-crap version of Minwax Color Wash is would make this kitchen look brand new, but that would be a ton of work, and I have no idea about durability.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Decorative accents are unlimited.

I love MCKENZIE AND CHILDS collection. They have gorgeous pieces.

But things that you already have will serve as accents.
    Like candles, your mixer, cutting boards, plants, art ....

Sunshine Anderson thanked HU-187528210
  • Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@tdemonti Yes. I thought we could wait but it is something my husband wants. We have a few pieces being delivered today. I noticed that the specks in the black granite match the stainless steel so I am hoping it will soften up the kitchen and make the counter feel more cohesive.

• PRO
    Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
    2 years ago

I would go with bronze walls and backsplash.

Color combo for an inspiration.

Sunshine Anderson thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • calidesign
    2 years ago

Before you make any other decisions, you need to replace the flourescent lighting. The light box is the most outdated thing in the space, and the lighting will have a big effect on how all the other colors look. Replace it with recessed led lights. You'll have much better function also. Wait to choose the dining room light once your table is in place. For the back splash, I'd choose a solid white tile the same color as your floors, or a very light taupe to match the veining in the floors. Or check to see if your floor tile comes in a smaller size you could use for your backsplash. You might be able to use green if it is subtle enough.

• Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Celery. Visualization, Rendering images Thank you so much and thank you for taking the time to send me a rendering. I do love your inspiration photo but thought my cabinets read more orange and I could not pull it off. I tried bronze backsplash but my sample had a cracking in it that felt unrefined. It did match well otherwise and I loved how intentional the black countertop felt with it. In other words, if I had my choice of counters to match with the backsplash, I would choose black. I will look for a simpler bronze tile.

I do have a brownish tile sample coming soon. Here it is:

https://www.tilebar.com/stacy-garcia-maddox-frame-warm-gray-4x8-matte-ceramic-tile.html

The color is ”warm grey”. Please let me know if you know of a true bonze backsplash.

Also, I see that you painted the soffits bronze, which I like. Would you do on the other walls?

Thank you so much, again!

• Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@calidesign. Thank you! Will do! My contractor is coming over tomorrow. Is LED the best option for the recessed lights so that I get a true color representation?

• calidesign
    2 years ago

Just get recessed lights and you can use whatever bulb you like. I prefer the warmer, softer led lightbulbs. Choose the bulbt you like before you look at the color samples.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

LED's with dimmer. Liking the white floor with the wood. It doesn't echo the orange oak typically detested because of the door style that you have. However I would keep everything simple. Simple white subway backsplash. White walls or near white. When its time get a "tulip style" table [pedestal base]. I think anything more like beiges/greens/etc will backfire. I would think about floor runner or two. Rug under table. Find a pattern or whatever that you like. New appliances will be a nice upgrade. Some of these older cabinets/kitchens [still solid and workable] get a nice rejuvenation with all new appliances and you will be pleased with that investment. But still I wouldn't try to rework it so much beyond that. The dinette is a bit of opportunity.... more than the kitchen itself . You don't have the windowscape in the photo shown...you still have soffits....you dont have MCM beamed or angled ceilings.But you have a nice area beyond...windows are there.......there is the dinette with some space to add decor. this is a lot better than many older kitchens but still: keep it really straightforward. Enjoy your home.

Sunshine Anderson thanked herbflavor
  • Sandra
    2 years ago

Chosing greens is how I lived with my aged and golden oak for last 7 years until total gut job. Really freshens it up. I fear nothing will work with the swimming pool light, however. Lighting is the answer if you're not yet interested in refinishing cabinets. The wood quality looks quite good. I could see a very light palomino stain...but better lighting is essential...which it seems you're working on. Oyster walls neutralize the honey, fern greens or deeper celadon accents would create a natural flavor. I would not get caught up in repeating the black anywhere and it will give the counter gravity but its reflective, rather than honed, quality tells me everything else should be matted, not reflective. Any gloss will suck your plan back decades I fear. Your inspiration photo is lovely but the calmness is created by the honed, maybe soapstone countertop and natural light so counter that shine as well, although it's trending again, so, to each his own. Kitchens without windows need to remain as low contrast as possible to achieve a calming a welcoming effect, as opposed to creating a feeling that you're walking into a confusing space without a way out. Your focal point needs to be the furthest in...over where I assume your table will go. That wall also needs to be as light and Outdoor as possible and warmly lit. I think any rounded light will work against any update. I'd go with minimalist, elegant

linear in kitchen and fully organic and enticing over table. Keep the line itself consistent and cohesiveness will be achieved. Nice inspiration find but the lack of light will keep all color variations...the white floor, the yellow cabs and the black counters looking extreme and confusing...naturally close in on the guest so make the jewelry really solid and purposeful.

Good luck. Tried to upload 2 pix and hit the like button...hopefully you're more successful than me.

Sunshine Anderson thanked Sandra
  • Sandra
    2 years ago

Sunshine Anderson thanked Sandra
  • Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Sandra. Thank you for sharing all your insight. It makes so much sense! What color counter did you have with your oak cabinets?

LOL at the swimming pool light; that made me chuckle. I will get recessed lighting installed in the pool light area and find a nice pendent once I settle on a table. I actually saw and liked the West Elm light but was concerned about the shape. I never considered that a round light would work against my design.

Any backsplash ideas? I like minimalist-elegant, as you’ve suggested.

I regret not posting my kitchen here before starting this project. I rushed the decision and dont want to make any more mistakes. As the floors were going down, I kept turning my head to the side because I felt unsure and uneasy (although the tiles are beautiful on their own). I now realize its the white, high-gloss finish, and veining for all the reasons you’ve mentioned above. The floor (reminiscent of flower stems) and beadboard (reminiscent of bambo) combination feels like the Asian-inspired interiors that trended in the US in the early 2000. That was not what I was hoping to achieve. I should have went for something matte and darker but not dark. I will put rugs down but hate that I paid a premium for new floors that I will have to work around. Needless to say, I cant sleep!

• Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@herbflavor Thank you for your feedback! Looking forward to seeing how the new appliances look. They were delivered (but not installed) yesterday. I am having trouble finding a simple backsplash that transitions nicely from black granite but also to a light wall color that matches all the fixed elements for a more seamlist and minimalist look, as you’ve suggested. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

• herbflavor
    2 years ago

I'm liking the picket fence shape lately. Variations on subway tile shape. the floor tiles are extra large so a medium sort of pattern with a simple shape. I dont think herringbone /no mosaics/ ..... picket fence has that bit of vertical play so try that out. Get to the tile store /bring in samples of a few different things/ you'll get feedback. I think white/as a contrast to the granite is the way to go. clean and classic.

Sunshine Anderson thanked herbflavor
  • TBL from CT
    2 years ago

Your inspiration photo is really nice. I think the olive tone tile combined with the cabinet color and black and white really gives a contemporary feel. Please be careful with paint. I think Accessible Beige is not a good choice. Look to your inspo pic. Get a sample and paint large poster board. I really think an oyster white mentioned by sandrabog... is the way to go. Despite the warm cabinets, if you try to go creamy it will look like you're trying too hard to address the cabinets. Tone the paint with the floor and add in some olive like the inspiration. Wait until paint, tile, and appliances are in before you choose hardware. I like hardware-free if the cabinets work without. Looks more clean and minimal. Bring photos to a full service lighting store if you can. Those folks can be a real help. I do love the branchy fixture that sandrabog... posted. Your kitchen will be great!

• Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Is this traditional elegant kitchen more achievable in my space? You all have really given me a lot of EXCELLENT feedback.

@Sandra made a good point. The calmness in my the above inspiration photo is coming from the low contrast elements and more matte finishes of the space. I have more contrast and more shine. This photo incorporates some of the ideas in option 1 and seems to embrace the cabinets, as is. What do you all think?

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

That is not a particularly traditional kitchen. And in my opinion, not necessarily so elegant. It also looks like that kitchen has white cabinetry.

There is a ton of contrast in that space you show above, and a lot of ”shine” - on the ceiling alone. The light blue tones of the ceiling may evoke some degree of calmness in the space, though; light/pastel blues on a ceiling can do that, and they can also make the room appear more spacious/ the ceiling appears higher. But the main thing that is saving that space from seeming completely chaotic is the lighting. Notice the lighting in that space. If that space had your fluorescent lighting, it would be a nightmare.

Look - there is nothing wrong with your kitchen. Really. Wood for cabinetry is very much en vogue right now - plus is classic. All types of wood are trending, including yours. And the slab front type styling on your cabinetry is also trending. There is also nothing wrong with the finish (shine) on the current granite. It is classic stone, and is not out of date. Would a piece of marble with some shine be considered out of date now? No. These are all personal preferences, at this point - not mandates for what is in style or not. The lighting in your space is the MAIN ISSUE. And if the lighting has not yet been settled, you are not even seeing the space accurately. Your space is really MUCH MORE cohesive and ”calm” than the kitchen in the pic you are showing above. Nothing wrong with your black appliances, either. They worked well with the counters and cabinets. But the stainless is fine, too - and will help to integrate your floor.

• Sandra
    2 years ago

Honest, vulnerable response. Refreshing. The floors are magnificent on their own. True. I like your bamboo asian idea....but I think you'd have to strip the cabinets and go flat, matte surface. I didn't want to redo kitchen twice so I lived with pealing horrific original yellow formica countertops....which will thankfully be out this year. Doing cherry cabs in cappucino very light stain, white with blue veined quartz and real end grain butcher block counters and white and beveled glass uppers near windows. Its a dark 70s rambler so ill take all the light i can get wout putting in skylights. I cook a lot and i do not understand these tile backsplashes over stove....the mortar would be terrible to clean and will get permanently shaded. Love tile, especially old, pompeiian ox blood naive motifs but wont happen. I'm taking the quartz counter up the wall 18" where all cabs come to. Solid easy to clean, simple and hopefully timeless. It would help in simplifying your kitchen i should think. What do you think?

• Sunshine Anderson
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Update: Swimming pool light has been removed and replaced with 5 dimmable can lights:

Still playing with the lighting color. This photo is taken on the coolest setting.

Any thoughts on the color setting that will tone down the cabinetes best?

I am considering an off white, textured, gloss medium hexagon tile. It does have a slight pink undertone in the current light setting which I don’t mind but am uncertain about with the cabinets.

Any thoughts / feedback?

• K H
    2 years ago

I love your inspiration photo.

I would draw all of my elements from it.

• K H
    2 years ago

Some possible back splash tiles you could stack!

• Sandra
    2 years ago

Your swimming comment made me laugh...I would choose paint colors (ceiling and walls) before lighting shade. We decided on canless lights that have a switch for all types of light briteness and color so you could always switch a button. I recommend something Benjamin Moore Desert Tan ish...and I fear adding more line would compete with cabinets established grace and a stark white against the cabinets introduces more contrast. I think you're into color, understandable, but the calmness of your model pix is created through low contrast and large seamless pieces.