Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_243705360

Does my living room need a rug and coffee table?

Jessica
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

Please ignore the pending lights; we will be removing them and adding recessed lighting instead. Walls need to be decorated after that. And the TV will be mounted on the wall above the fireplace so tv console & random table in the corner will be gone.

We are starting to make our new house a home so nothing is purposely decorated yet. Should I buy a rug for the living room? We don't have a coffee table and are debating whether to get one since I do like to practice Yoga and don't feel like moving a table every time (our little ottoman can go if needed). However the space doesn't seem too cozy. So are an area rug and a coffee table needed?

Comments (17)

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Who all uses the room? Will anyone desire a spot to set down a glass of something something?

WE went w/o a "coffee" table for years--we needed the space for young kids' play. Will people forever wonder if you don't have one? YES. I would have to have a rug. It will ground the room.

• KW PNW Z8
    2 years ago

For me, the room feels sterile & not cozy. So, yes to both a rug & coffee table. I like something to set my glass, book & feet on. What about a round ottoman on wheels? A tray for glasses & wheels for ease of movement. Or, a coffee table with stick on plastic movers / sliders on the leg tips. It’ll slide smoothly & effortlessly out of the way for yoga space.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

Add a tray to the ottoman, a stand up lamp and you're on your way.

• HU-187528210
    2 years ago

Agreed. Definitely start with a rug.

Pull the sofa a tad off the wall.

I would have to have a coffee table. But you do you!!

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Do. pull the sofa off the back wall on the left so it is centered between those two lights.

OR. have you ever thought to have the sofa face the wall that has the two hanging lights? and put the tv on that wall, thus dividing the room and making it more cozy?

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

• CNH 320
    2 years ago

I think it would look better with a rug and table. But if you are going to use that space a lot for yoga I say just go for the rug and some nice end tables by the couch. I wouldn't want to be moving a table all the time either and to me the function of a room is more important than the way it looks.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your help RL Relocation LLC! Unfortunately, I don't think the suggestion will work because we actually have a fireplace behind where the tv currently is. The TV will go above the fireplace with a mantle mount and the tv stand and hanging lights will be removed.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

no no no no do not put that tv above the fireplace.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    2 years ago

RL Relocation LLC, oh :/ why is the tv above the fireplace a no? We live in SoCal so we will never actually use the fireplace and the mount we would be using allows the tv to be easily brought down to a comfortable viewing height. It's a mantle mount.

• User
    2 years ago

Some people find it a huge faux pas to put a TV over a fireplace. Some people swear they can't be comfortable for viewing over a fireplace, your neck will explode from the agony, the TV itself will explode into a ball of flames from the heat from the FP, and people entering your home for the first time will shriek in horror at your set up .....

None of that has been my actual, real life experience - currently have a TV over a fireplace in 2 homes. They both work just fine. Use a tilt-able mount as having them angled downward is a must (or use the adjustable mount so that you can pull it down while watching and then push it back up when done.)

No one has died, no one has shrieked in horror, still using the same TV for 8 years in one house (so, so much for the "the TV will never last!" line), and I like the way it looks. If that makes me a lowbrow lowlife, so be it.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

The real reason I say that is the fireplace is small and the tv will seem large over it. NO ONE DIED. lol

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

Also if you never use it then why not try the setup I was talking about. extend the curtains to hide.

• PRO
    RL Relocation LLC
    2 years ago

but even if not i would still pull the sofa off that back wall and put a narrow sofa table behind it.

• Jessica
    Original Author
    2 years ago

RL Relocation LLC, which wall do you mean to put the sofa table at? Do I put decor on the table?