Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stairskitchenandbathroomidea

Kitchen Cabinet/ Backsplash & Tile Ideas?

Hey all

I am looking for someone to help me out:

- I will be removing the carpet

- I will be removing the couch

- I will be removing the entertainment center that the TV is in along with the ancient tv

- I will be removing the cabinetry next to the dining table (top & bottom)

- I will be removing the freestanding cabinetry to the left of the dining table (next to the window)

I am struggling with a few things:

1. the color of the hardwood flooring vs the color of the stair railing/ stairs vs the color of the kitchen cabinet.

Possible solution:

I think that I should probably stain the hardwood flooring to match as closely as i can to the stairs. what do you think?

&

i think that i should change the color of the kitchen cabinets. they are in good condition to sand and change the color.

what color do you believe will be best for the kitchen cabinets? if i change the color of the cabinets i would probably have to change the color of tile, countertop and backsplash? any ideas?

thanks so much photos are below

Comments (98)

• stairskitchenandbathroomidea stairskitchenandbathroomidea
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I selected this is it weird to use this for backsplash too? Should I just get a backsplash tile instead?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would NOT do this granite up the back. it's very busy. do a plain tile

the granite you picked is very similar to what you already have. this one just has more gray tones.

but it still has the reddish tone and the exact same type of movement.

Original Author
    2 years ago

You are right! It does and I am trying to find a white granite like River white. I am going to another granite yard today

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

whew, ok good!

have you look at any quartz?

or maybe a quartzite?

Ask the stone people for something in the white or gray range, something that isn't too busy

that first pic w/the grayer one isn't too bad

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

BTW, River White goes by many other names. kashmir white, colonial white, white ice,

it has the little maroon berries, but can have a lot of variation

Colonial White (sometimes named as river white) (this is a very inexpensive slab. if they have it marked up, they're conning you!)

In case you come across Alaska White or Delicatus White or Dallas white:

how about a marble-quartz?

This one is super white. it's a dolomite.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Beth i was waiting for you all day today lol so- i went to a quartzite place yesterday and saw a bunch of different slabs but apparently when you get a light color you are prone to water damage and it's not as stain resistant as they make it out to be.. especially the ones that i liked. i don't want to have to deal with any potential issues which is why i am trying to stick with granite. i did see a delicatus white today, i am going to attach the photo in the next post i post. i did see superwhite yesterday, but the lot was extremely grey. that superwhite my countertop guy said would be fine as far as staining and he said it's durable. but it's soooo grey. i really want something WHITE like the photos your showing me of the granites (Colonial White, river white etc.).

I am going to bring my cabinet to the yard and pick out a color once and for all with my cabinet next to it... the delicatus white is nice.. showing the photo now

Original Author
    2 years ago

Delicates white I saw

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

ugh. no. sorry. just out of curiousity, what is the price for that slab? it should be in the 800-1100 range.

That's a very low quality Delicatus White slab

These are what they should look like

Original Author
    2 years ago

Here are some other granites. No clue on the price? My fabricator is getting pricing from the yard but it’s being given to me as a gift by my employer who doesn’t want me to know the prices lol

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

ok great. how nice.

do you need two slabs or is one enough

so pic number 4,,,,will look like this installed, give or take.

#2, similar to this (you have a large white pocket on that slab. make sure you work w/your fabricator so he knows where to cut. )

#3, it may be similar to this one. but this is nicer.

this is a nice piece

Any other white slabs??

Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for the references.. i didn't see any other white slabs? I am asking around to see if there are any other granite yards i can go to in the area by tomorrow to take some more photos and share them with you.. this time with my cabinet door in hand so that i can really compare. I wish i had more to share.. any recommendations (so far) on what you like? i am taking your advice and getting a larger sink by the way!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

doesn't matter what I like, what do YOU like? You will know when you come upon a slab and you'll just fall in love. that's the one you get.

Taking a cabinet door w/you is an excellent idea.

Do you know your floor yet? wood or tile?

I wouldn't pick anything super busy looking or speckled. speckled is out. veins are fine, but they're more difficult to match in corners and such.

you may have to visit numerous stone places to see if there is anything you like.

does it have to be granite? you don't like quartz?

Quartzite is more expensive, but they have some beautiful slabs. Taj Majal is one of them. if you can swing that stone, jump on it.

They even have it in a pre-fab:

\

another true quartzite is Sea Pearl.

Cielo Blue and Ijen Blue are also nice and would work w/your white cab

See if the ycarry Shadow STorm. some carry it as a quartzite or a granite.

Silestone Charcoal Quartz in a matte finish. I have this one in the gray. love it

Original Author
    2 years ago

I am SOOOOOOOO indecisive.... i am trying to steer away from quartzite for two reasons, 1, i do like the lighter colors and my countertop guy said that it can stain and secondly because it's more expensive i don't want to put that type of pressure on my employer.. completely get where you're coming from on the granite look being a little dated.. trying to find the least dated... white granite look. :-). thank you again for everything you've recommended......................... it goes a long way

Original Author
    2 years ago

Woo! I found a place not too far from me that has WHITE granite slabs in stock! i am going to faint. they apparantly have everything in stock on this website: http://grantradeinc.com/slab_catalog.php i am going to head there tomorrow morning, share some photos and my final selection. thanks again!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

nice!

As for the 'quartzite can stain'....well, so can granite.

quartzite is actually harder than granite. Any of your very white stones can stain. Use a good sealer and use a cutting board.

looking at the pictures, I see a nice colonial white, a New River White, a River Blue leather, a silver fantasy, a white fantasy, and a beautiful super white.

Dumont? that is gorgeous. is that a marble?

Dover White? that one is very pretty too.

Fantasy Brown is a marble, stay away from that one. too dark.

Although, they have a leathered Titanium that is really nice looking! how about that dark one?

looks like this island piece.

They have a White Fantasy slab. (aka is Shadow STorm) see if your painted door works with this

That Super White is a dolomite, marbles cousin. I have it in my bathroom. it's softer than granite, but it takes longer for the stains to actually set in or to etch compared to marble.

Look at the White Macauba. that should be a quartzite. don't know how the price compares.

they have a white ice quartz. do you like that one?

Alpine Spring quartz?

any of those would be nice too

• A M
    2 years ago

That Dumont is gorgeous

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

I vote for the Dumont too! See if your painted door color works with it.

I found a dilemma here regarding that stone. They say it's a quartzite. just make sure to properly seal.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/6023753/dumont-quartzite-countertops

I use Tenax on my marble in my shower. the stuff is great.

Original Author
    2 years ago

That is absolutely gorgeous but I feel like I’m reaching in my employers pockets if I choose that. Him and the countertop guy made a comment about how it’s not really a good idea for a countertop in a lighter finish and how I should just stick with granite :-(.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

how about if you pitch in w/some money if it's more expensive than the granite? That's what I'd do. I know you're grateful that the employer is doing this for you, but at the same time, do you want to settle for something you don't love merely because it's 'free'? Find a price that is agreeable to both of you. (it's not fair of the employer to not tell you either. I mean, this is YOUR kitchen!) so find "his'' price. Now if you find something you like that maybe costs a bit more, can't you make up the diff? Shouldn't be more than 500-1k for a decent upgrade from that ugly granite they want you to have.

Fabrication should be the same price, unless you pick out some exotic stone that requires a lot more labor and effort.

as for your empoloyer and countertop guy,,,,,they're guys, right? How do they know what color is a good idea in a kitchen? take what they say w/a grain of salt.

I used to have granite similar to yours but in gold colors. Yes it was pretty. and hid every crumb

I now have a matte solid gray, and a marble island. both light. I love them.

I love the lighter colors.

kitchens are going to get dirty regardless. does it make you feel better to know you can't see the crumbs and spots w/a busy dark granite ?? grime is still there. I'd rather be able to see it so I can clean it.

There is no sense wasting money on another dark, similar granite to what you already have.

Original Author
    2 years ago

I I hear what you’re saying you’re right it’s definitely a better option than what I was about to go with this morning.. I’m not completely drawn away from the granite being that they have the colonial white and river white.. but I will look at the quartzite tomorrow as well After this pep talk 😂

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

good idea.

colonial white, and river white, both have to be sealed. it's white. you will have to be carefull w/stains w/those just like you would the Dumont.

The only material that is really a PIA is marble. The other stuff you can deal with.

WTH? do those guys want you to get Baltic Brown or some nonsense?? lol

just forget what they say. You'll have to look at this countertop every day. the last thing you want after install is to say, "I sure wish I'd have paid the extra $800 and gotten that other quartzite slab!" Your choice will be with you for as long as you're in this home. Ignore the 'busy granite' duo and pick what you like.

make sure to post pictures while you're there tmrw. can't wait to see how your door looks w/some of the choices.

Original Author
    2 years ago

I think Dumont would look nice and I think Mont Blanc (below) would look nice I’m heading there in about 2 hours :-)

Original Author
    2 years ago

Mont Blanc :

Original Author
    2 years ago

Some other color?

Original Author
    2 years ago

I picked the second one!!! It’s called sea Pearl brown. I cannot wait!!!!!!!!

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Those last two slabs are, by far, the most beautiful!

• chiefy
    2 years ago

I have really enjoyed reading through the back and forth and the design help from @Beth H. : It's helping me visualize my own project. @stairskitchenandbathroomidea stairskitchenandbathroomidea the slab you picked is gorgeous!!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

just saw your post!

love the brown one! is it really a quartzite like Sea Pearl?

if it's MontBlanc, they have tons of issues w/adhesive bleed through and staining w/that one.

Make sure you thoroughly question your install guy to find out what adhesive they are using. AND make sure it's written up in the contract that should you get spot bleed thru, they are responsible for all costs in replacing.

And your fabricator should ask you how you want it cut. try and choose the less nicer looking area for the sink (with the cut-out) and the better looking veins in a prominent location.

Also, when they do the L corner, those lines will have to match up.

BTW, these bronze/coppery color sinks would look amazing, shown w/antique copper/bronze pulls

Or a champagne gold would be pretty

Original Author
    2 years ago

:-)!! Thank you and thank you all and Beth has been instrumental!!!!!!! In everything I’ve done. Thank you. And they called the second one a sea Pearl brown (that’s the one i chose) will make sure there’s no issues.. I’ll find out about the adhesive.. those handles and sink do look cool… but the appliances are stainless?!? Will it look weird?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

If you're keeping the bar top, I'd get a piece of walnut for that portion.

SS appliance are fine w/these other metals

Original Author
    2 years ago

I am going to go by the place tonight and take another photo, I wonder if it’s silly to even keep the bar?… I don’t really have enough room to put stools there as I will have my dining table in that location…. The co-op is really small as it is I should’ve probably mentioned this earlier before you showe me all these different stools. Do you think I should just get rid of that area all together? Is it nice to have for any other reason? It doesn’t seem worth having it?

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

oh, well if you want to bring it down to one level, great. just do that and have a 10" overhang, or see what the fabricator says.

hard for me to say because I don't know how that part of the room looks

BTW, are you sure one slab is enough to replace all of those counters?

Original Author
    2 years ago

And just get rid of the wall altogether right? I’m gonna take a picture in a few. No there’s going to be two slabs because I’m going to replace the counters and the backsplash with the same material

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

oh, I thought you wanted tile.

nice that you were able to get both slabs for that. were they very expensive? i'm guessing $2300-2500 a slab or so? and another 4K for fabrciation of both?

Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m being told $3,750 a slab (2) and $4,500 for the install .. 12k total

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

whoa. so much for the budget redo! lol. crazy how things spin out of control.

it is beautiful though.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Hahah tell me about it.. everyone’s telling me you basically have a new kitchen and not new cabinets I told everyone I’m not doing that hahahaha

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

Eliminate the bar top. Just extend the slab at the sink area so you can have counter height stools underneath. That will be a nice eating area for yourself in the morning, or a place to seat your guests when they are watching you cook. They’ll stay out of your way. I removed my two tiered bar top and never regretted it. Here is a photo.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Love that idea BUT…….. Ok we are totally switching gears I’m getting a new kitchen. I’m going to probably just get shaker white cabinets. Nothing too expensive but it’s going to be expensive. Anyway here’s the layout, on the far corner where there is a big opening I am planning to put an LG wash tower there unfortunately being that this is a co-op, they only allow the washer dryer in the kitchen area. I do think now that I’m re-designing the kitchen that I should make a pantry for that area so that at least I can open the doors to have the washer dryer closed off… keep it in the corner and not have the dishwasher (which was originally right across from it) interfere. Maybe not have cabinets right across from it? The wall ending the kitchen near the washer dryer is a load bearing wall. The wall where the sink is and the backsplash will need to remain as well but pretty much everything else I can play with. I already bought all stainless steel appliances whic is taking up a hefty amount of space in my small co-op including a stainless steel wash tower from lg but that I would love to cover now as I previously mentioned. You see my quartsite- the shaker white cabinets… what kind of tile? I want to stick with porcelain tile in the kitchen area..

I’m going to make another post to show what my kitchen is facing out to

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

after getting these painted you're now getting new??? really? you can't just reface these?

Ok, so if you're going for a complete redo, then I would rework everything. move the sin under the window. is that possible?

how about a wall oven and a stove top? or will you be doing a range?

PLEASE to a built in microwave. put it below somehwere. I did the GE Profile 1.5 cu inch model and it's great

I used to have one over the stove top but replaced it w/the vent hood. this particular model isn't expensive and is a good cabinet model. not too big. you'll need the trim kit.

so you're washer dryer thing is confusing.

draw up a floor plan where it's supposed to go. (maybe stackable?)

this bar overhang. could you remove this entire wall and do an island?

you said that wall is load bearing?? the small wall in front of yoursink? you sure? (not the shared wall, just the wall where my X is) seems to me you could add a small beam to hold that up, or, keep that half wall there and do you stacked washer? have an island on the open part?

maybe you should clarify.

what I do know is, you need a better layout. and it's there, you just need someone that knows what's what

Original Author
    2 years ago

I already bought my appliances and I don’t want to go through the whole returning process as far as the appliances regarding the sink I’m going to leave the general location there I don’t want to get into the plumbing the appliances will be as is which is basically a fridge, a microwave as shown in the photos, a stove top with oven..

The stackable washer dryer was supposed to go in the far left-hand corner where there is a big cabinet opening. I don’t mind leaving in that location OR directly across from that location, far right hand corner. The load bearing wall is the wall that the shared wall.

Where the backsplash is where the sink is where you marked an x, There is plumbing going through that wall I don’t believe that I have much play with it unfortunately

• A M
    2 years ago

I don’t know if you have already purchased your stackable washer dryer, but about 15 years ago I switched to an all-in-one unit to save space. Some people don’t like them but it has worked well for me. I don’t have a laundry room and the top of the stackable was an eyesore. The unit is in a nook in the corner of my kitchen. I had some shelving built around it since a door would not fit in front. It will never be ”pretty” but sometimes you work with what you have.

Original Author
    2 years ago

I have already purchased a stackable washer dryer from LG called washtower it’s a nice unit I like it and it’s narrow and pretty.

Original Author
    2 years ago

Does anyone think that shaker white would not look right with the quartzite I chose?

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

The right white will work with almost anything. It’s picking the one that complements the stone that’s the challenge.

Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m wondering since I plan on getting white cabinets (not off white) if I should just get like a super white quartzite instead?

Original Author
    2 years ago

Ok well here I am my indecisive self.. I ended up going with this. With white shaker cabinets… I need floor tile color recommendations please!

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

beautiful!

I'd pick a larger tile, say 24x24, 18x18, that's a lighter neutral, but has slightly warmer gray undertones.

These are perfect.

Cavatina Bronze or the Corda from Tilebar

The bronze one is on the bottom. on the top is the Pergola cement-look hex tile. they come in all these colors and diff designs, or just plain

Order samples

https://www.tilebar.com/collection/tile-mosaic-collections/cavatina.html

https://www.tilebar.com/collection/tile-mosaic-collections/pergola.html

pergola graphite

Lines Greige 24x24 matte,,some of the tiles have this gold inlay 'Line'. tone is perfect

https://www.tilebar.com/collection/tile-mosaic-collections/lines-collection.html

This one is a good match too. Marbella Greige

black tile herringbone

Twilight Silver, 12x48

Or this 18x36 matte Tulsa Charcoal tile. it has the warmer gray tones and would look nice next to the wood

https://www.tilebar.com/tulsa-charcoal-24x24-matte-porcelain-tile.html

Or browse through the hundreds of kitchen floor tiles to see what you like

https://www.tilebar.com/collection/completecollection.html?filtertileuse=Kitchen+Floor