Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ebucari

Help me update the exterior of this brown 80’s house

Del Mar
2 years ago

I would love some advice on how to update this brown 80’s ranch-ish house. Everything is brown or tan. The roof doesn’t need to be replaced for another ~8 years. The siding is pre-painted aluminum. Can I do something to trim or brick or porch to liven this up? Help!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.
    2 years ago

Firstly aluminum siding paints beautifully- Sherwin Williams durations is designed to stick to painted metal. That said I agree with above mostly- I would paint all the non siding items white- trim, soffits, gutters, porch. The brick to me is pretty classic and will make your roof look intentional.

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

I sort of like the colors you already have. I would add a nice bright color to your door, and some nice bright outdoor furniture to your porch, and brand new landscaping. The steps are so wide, you can easily add colorful pots to them., too. Is that just a patch of blacktop in front, or is that part of a circle drive. If its just a patch remove it. If its part of your circle drive, then have it resurfaced. I cant see the front yard in the pictures, but, dont forget it, when you do landscaping.

Del Mar thanked cat_ky
  • ashtonchic
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would paint all the trim black, including shutters and paint door a bright color.

• elcieg
    2 years ago

Is the roof in good shape? If it is on its last legs, you may want to rethink the exterior face lift until you replace it.

Otherwise, I might consider painting everything paintable (even the brick) to white. This idea of white with brown (ignore shutters).

• Del Mar
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Driveway is a circle drive which comes handy in northern climate. blacktop will be ripped out and re-done in spring (20 years of no resurfacing or maintenance from prior owners)

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Have you moved in? The electrical wires strung across the porch steps to the sprinklers imply that changes (or tests) are already underway. What kind of changes have you already planned?

Edited to add: @cat_ky Thank you for the correction on the dog cables (comment below).

• cat_ky
    2 years ago

Apple_pie, those wires are dog cables.

I definitely understand the circle drive coming in handy in a northern climate. I had one in my front yard too, when I lived in big snow country. Mine was gravel, not blacktop though.

• Del Mar
    Original Author
    2 years ago

yes moved in & already re-done everything inside. I am planning the exterior this winter to execute in spring. If I remove shutters, would siding look too bare? what about painting only siding white but leaving brick and roof? its just so dark.

landscaping I will do in spring, yard was so overgrown I spent this season cutting things back/down

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville