Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_576620131

Design Help With One Room In-Law Suite

HU-576620131
2 years ago

Hi all - we are buying a house and turning what is currently a rec/pool room into an in-law suite. We'd like to incorporate two full or queen sized beds along with seating into the room. It's a bit of an awkwardly shaped space with the columns and the bow window.

Just FYI - we are planning on taking out the bookcases as I believe that is the most logical place where the beds will go. We'll also be painting the whole room and refacing the wet bar doors.

Any ideas on how we can configure the beds and seating (ideally would like to get a sofa or something in there so we can use it as a living space when our parents aren't visiting)? Thanks in advance for your help!

Comments (3)

• jck910
    2 years ago

How often will the parents be visiting? If it is not going to be occupied all the time, have you thought of murphy beds?

HU-576620131 thanked jck910
  • HU-576620131
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jck910 Thanks! Not out of the realm of question, I just have heard that murphy beds can be quite difficult to manage in getting set up and being as comfortable as a regular bed.

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

Was contemplating murphy beds for an in-law space too. Then I saw that many are lower to the ground than a regular bed. My parents are fit but both have arthritis in their knees, which is only going to get worse with time. Higher beds and chairs will be kinder to them. Don't know if this is something you need to factor into the equation.

Are the columns just decorative? My parents removed similar columns from their living space and it was so much easier to decorate and make a floor plan. If you can ditch them, I would.

Also, why two beds and not just a single queen or king?

This room is huge and can certainly handle a seating area and sleep area. Look to studio apartment layouts for inspiration.

HU-576620131 thanked Kendrah