Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adamarice

Is this Frame TV mounted too high on the wall?

Adam
2 years ago

Keep in mind the couch we'll be watching from is about 18 feet away. Does this look off?

Comments (21)

• jck910
    2 years ago

It should be lower. Why is it 18 feet away. We need pictures of the rest of the room

• Adam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@jck910 the layout of our living room/dining room is odd (NYC apartment). It was really the only layout that made sense.

• lynzy1
    2 years ago

Yes it is. It shoukd visually ”connect” with tbe credenza below it. Lower it about 6 inches.

• PRO
    Annette Jaffe Interiors
    2 years ago

Would it be possible to see more photos? We think there might be a better place for the TV. You might be able to place it elsewhere on an articulating arm so that it can be pulled off the wall and turned.

Roslyn Village Condo · More Info

• K R
    2 years ago

Wow you must have super eyesight because there is no way I could see that tv from 18 feet away!

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I would like to see the layout of the space .

• M Riz
    2 years ago

I think that the credenza should be a bit longer to ’support’ the size of the T.V.

• Adam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Annette Jaffe Interiors @Patricia Colwell Consulting @jck910 here's how we have the room laid out currently. The TV is above the console at the bottom of this screenshot.

• User
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

the height looks fine, but I would hate having my table right there. what an awkward floorplan you have! how wide is your couch? is there any way you can replace it with something smaller, so that the living room and dining room can be swapped? (so the back of the couch is facing the dining room?)

OR...even easier: have you tried an arrangement like this? the dining room might look big by comparison, a larger table or big rug could help.

• Adam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User thanks for the suggestion - we've thought about it but the fireplace kind of throws things off. We like how the sitting area is centered around it now. It feels like it might look awkward with nothing centered around it.

Here's how the previous tenant had it set up:

• TAS
    2 years ago

How about hanging it over the fireplace if you want your furniture centered around it.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

This chart doesn't cover the size of TV you'd need if you were 18 feet away! Seattle is right, swap the two areas. It just makes sense to have the dining area by the kitchen.

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

With your current layout, I would place it to the left of the fireplace in the dining room area and put it on an articulating arm that can swing out and face the sofa. Or, set up the space as in the pics from the previous owners and place the TV with an articulating arm to the right of the fireplace and swing it out to watch it.

I loathe a TV above the fireplace. Thank you for not doing that. Just moved into a NYC apartment and am having TV placement issues too. I get it.

• Adam
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Also re: the current distance, it's totally fine. I know it's not "ideal" but it definitely works.

• TAS
    2 years ago

An articulating arm would really destroy the look and beauty of a Frame tv. The Frame is meant to mount very flush to the wall to mimic a painting. It’s the one tv that can look really nice over a fireplace

• User
    2 years ago

is it so important that you have the furniture gathered directly around the fireplace that you would sacrifice the looks and function of the room as a whole? if you had a different layout, you will still be close enough to the fire to enjoy it.

not only does it look super weird to have the dining table between the couch and the TV, but it makes the dining area awkward to get to from the kitchen. and the gap behind the couch looks like wasted dead space. (unless you can do something useful with it and make it look good?)

one other option is to get new living room furniture and arrange it like what the previous owner did, and put the frame TV where their big painting was.

• Kendrah
    2 years ago

Sounds like your eyes can see from 18' away. (I want your vision!) Just don't invite friends to watch tv with you, move the plant in the corner so the tv can be the star of the show, and put one or two beautiful pieces on your credenza that connect the feel and height of the TV to your furniture height.

• chloebud
    2 years ago

Agree with M Riz's comment. Credenza should be about 25% wider than the TV.

• HU-931799248
    2 years ago

Hi Adam, I agree that the credenza could be a bit bigger and that the TV could come down slightly.

If the layout works for you and you can see the TV well, then I'd keep it. After all, the idea with the Frame TV is that it integrates into your decor rather than dominating the space, and so if you think of it more as a painting (most of the time), there's nothing awkward about it being in the dining area.

• Asif Ahmed
    2 years ago

I think it is fine.