Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrsyenshops

Need help with kitchen layout (open concept)

mrsyenshops
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

hi everyone! we are a family of 5 (three young kids 8, 5, 1 years old). We would like to expand the kitchen (see attachment). Old kitchen is on the left, new proposed layout on the right. There are two walkways going to the bedroom hallway. We mainly enter/exist through the garage. I wanted to avoid putting a sink or stove on the island because it attracts so much clutter but does the sink make more sense on the island since it's not under a window anymore?

And I'm also thinking to change the location of stove so it's not in the way of potential traffic.

please help! thank you!!

Comments (11)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

Even though it puts the fridge and pantry farther from the garage entry, you might consider m/l switching the fridge and range. The range would be out of the path from the hallway and in a more protected spot.

I would also recommend a prep sink for the island, with clean-up on the perimeter. Having the clean-up zone outside the prep/cooking zones will make it easier for helpers to load or unload the DW, or gather dishes to set the table, without interfering in prep or cooking tasks.

Do you specifically need a desk in the kitchen area?

NKBA guidelines

New to Kitchens? Read me first.

Discussions--dishes in drawers

mrsyenshops thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • PRO
    Brier and Blue Interiors for elements inc.
    2 years ago

Well shoot where is your triangle? ( sink, cook top and rfg?)

Where do you spend the most of your time in the kitchen? If it's the sink, having it on the island is super functional (especially with a 1 year old to keep an eye on!) with the DW so your back is not always turned. If you could switch that pantry to where the desk is your flow would be better as well and agree with mama goose!!! Do you need the desk - that is likely where the clutter will end up - If you need it think about a secretary door to hide it all. Not loving the location of the current DW when open it's obstructing one end of your galley.

mrsyenshops thanked Brier and Blue Interiors for elements inc.
  • mrsyenshops
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @mama goose_gw zn6OH: thanks, yes i was thinking to put range in center and out of walkway traffic, and prep sink in island.

i liked the idea of small desk nook near garage entrance to serve as landing zone for mail/ kids homework/ charging station etc. we primarily come through the garage door.

maybe the landing zone can be where the proposed bar/glassware station will be.

• mrsyenshops
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi @Brier and Blue Interiors for elements inc.: thank you, we probably spend more time at sink than anywhere else in kitchen. it makes sense to have sink in island with prime view of play room.

ill look into secretary door. i like the idea of a designated landing zone for mail/homework/charging station since we enter from the garage door so thats why we designed a desk nearby but maybe i can move it to where the bar/glassware station would be.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

The walkways need to be bigger especailly in front of the fridge . I would never have an under the counter MW with small kids . No stool anywhere in a walkway near a range. 48" IMO is the min. walkway infront of a fridge and a range.If you do not want clutter in the kitchen then do not provide space for it. IMO a desk in a kitchen is a dated idea that just cries out for stuff to be on top of it. I think charging stations can be anywhere and we find the bedroom is a great spot put the item to be charged in there every night . As for mail honestly I get so little mail now and most of it is trash .All my bills come online and no one I know writes letters anymore . Why such a dedicated space for a playroom unless of course you are planning more kids maybe. IMO there really is little reason for clutter at the sink just use the DW a lot more and get one that has a quick wash cycle to make that happen.

mrsyenshops thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • mrsyenshops
    Original Author
    2 years ago

hi everyone: what do you think of the revised layout attached? I didn't move the desk yet but it can migrate somewhere. I thought to have a wall of cabinets where the fridge/pantry is (since there is no window there anyway). If i have that much dedicated storage, I can get away with no upper cabinets on the wall with the range (my idea is to have marble backsplash with a minimal floating shelf). Btw, I purposely misaligned the sink and range because of feng shui (avoid water directly behind fire). I will also increase walkway around galley to be 48".

Re: @Patricia Colwell Consulting: thank you for feedback. my husband likes to do some work on his laptop in the common area so the desk is for him too, but I think it can be elsewhere. I can dedicate another area for school work and charging station (we have alot of rechargeable electronics: ipad, toys, camera, lights etc). Since my kids are younger, I like to see them playing in a common area (not bedroom) and if I don't dedicate a space it will take over my house :). When they outgrow it my thought is the room can transition to a secondary office.

• mrsyenshops
    Original Author
    2 years ago

if I remove the desk nook, where should I have my "command center"?

• mrsyenshops
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mama goose_gw zn6OH i was thinking the desk could serve as command center off fhe kitchen and near the garage (where we exist from). do you think i should do something else for command center? thanks!

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    2 years ago

Although kitchen desks aren't as popular as they were a few years ago, only you know your family's habits and needs, so if a desk makes sense in your kitchen, then keep it. However, you can also have a drop zone/command center without it looking so much like a traditional desk.

As for the revised layout, I wouldn't put a stool on the short side of the island, across from the fridge. The open fridge door will be in conflict with the person sitting there, and that will also congest traffic from the entry. I'd put the seat on the other end, and move the wine cooler to the bar counter, even if you would need to add a little bump-out to the counter (if the bar counter/cabinetry is shallower than standard). If you put the trash pull-out on the corner of the island it will be convenient to both the prep/cooking zones, and the fridge/snack zones.

Another option for the MW would be beside the fridge in an upper cabinet, to create a snack/coffee center, then the separate steam oven could go above the dish storage at the end of the long perimeter counter (since you didn't include a prep sink--but more on that in the next paragraph).

You have small children now, but as they grow they will be helping in the kitchen and taking care of their own needs (we hope). Having a second sink will be helpful for extra prep, hand washing, snack prep, etc., so now is the time to consider the efficiency and convenience of a second sink.

MW in upper cabinet:

• Lee M
    2 years ago

Re the desk - In one kitchen I had a 12” deep base cupboard that was for a standing height laptop. I had my command center there. Our phone/answering matching was there too, back in the olden days when they were on the wall. Recycle bins nearby for sorting papers. Worked great for me.