Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren_hawthorne66

Help with living room furniture placement!

Lauren Hawthorne
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

I cannot decide where to place our couch, so any advice would be appreciated! We are planning on getting a lighter neutral/ off white sectional in the same shape and size as the one we have now.

My big questions are

1. Where do we place the couch?
  2. Which side should we have the chaise on?

Option one: couch against the wall

The couch against the wall makes the room feel so much bigger and more open, but the tv would be off the the side. We have a 75” tv so it would fit on the wall, but it may not look great. We are a huge movie household so our tv and a large comfy couch are important, especially for when we have guests over.

We are also considering getting a pull down projector screen that would come down over the hallway, but that may be a pain to pull it up anytime someone needs to use a restroom during a movie.

Option two: Floating couch

The couch floating in the living room with the back lined up with the kitchen island. The tv would be mounted on the large wall. Then we’d have the option to put a bar cart or cabinet on the smaller wall behind the couch.

Either spot we put the couch, I don't know what side to put the chaise on.

Comments (18)

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

The chaise should be away from the door. The TV should be on the large wall hung above a credenza 25% wider than the physical TV itself.

• Lauren Hawthorne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you!

• JT7abcz
    2 years ago

I agree the best place for the TV is on the long wall that the sectional is on. Because I'd be concerned about squeezing traffic flow to the back door and the counter stools, I'd consider a long, comfortable sofa (possibly with deep seating) instead of a sectional with a chaise. A padded ottoman could be used as a coffee table that everyone can put their feet up on, and even pushed up to the sofa occasionally for stretching out. Swapping out the saddle counter stools for comfortable, adjustable height swivel chairs will give you double duty - they can also be turned and lowered for watching a game or movie.

Think about traffic flow and measure carefully to see best sizes - you'll also want to account for side tables, lamps, possibly a piece under the TV, art placement, etc. Options like C tables instead of full blown side tables will help stretch your floor space. Know your measurements and plan for everything before you buy anything to get the most out of the space.

Lauren Hawthorne thanked JT7abcz
  • Lauren Hawthorne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@JT7abcz

Thank you so much for your detailed comment!

I 100% aggree with the chairs, i HATE them. They were my boyfriend’s before we moved in together and we’re using them for now until we figure out what to do with the space.

i was thinking a light couch and light leather swivel chairs or beige -I’m trying to get away from the grey. We’d get a new rug, tv stand and coffee table. If you have any other recommendations, please let me know what you think!

• Lauren Hawthorne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@RL Relocation LLC

thats what i was thinking! i just like how large the apartment looks but its just not as functional with the tv shoved in the corner

• JT7abcz
    2 years ago

Lauren, so glad you have some new ideas to consider. I didn't realize you're in an apartment so I'll qualify some suggestions. If it's likely you'll be moving several times in the coming years, you'll want pieces that can give you flexibility in different size spaces and different rooms. For example, instead of one giant ottoman/coffee table, maybe you push two smaller bench style pieces together now and have flexibility to break them up and use at the foot of a bed later or as seating in an entry. It's also a good reason why a sectional with a chaise might limit layout options later on - a sofa will give you more options. Neutral furniture colors will be more portable too.

If you're able to ignore the chaise temporarily, you can use your sectional as a placeholder to get an idea of flow, sightlines, sizes and color palette. Float it where we're suggesting (maybe you can slide your tree into the opposite corner), walk around it, how does it feel? Use other pieces as placeholders to represent furniture, like the stools as a stand in for the TV console. Put tape on the wall to show the TV size. Throw a light colored blanket or sheet over the sofa so you can see what a lighter color looks like.

If you wall mount the TV, you can place a long credenza under it that can also serve as your bar. I like a mix of drawers and shelves but here's an idea with sliding doors.

• PRO
    MARGARITA BRAVO
    2 years ago

We might suggest trying to float the sectional to face the blank wall. This way you can place the TV on the blank wall over a console.

Highlands Townhome Renovation and Decor · More Info

Highlands Townhome Renovation and Decor · More Info

Denver Townhome Renovation And Decor · More Info

• housegal200
    2 years ago

I agree with the others to place TV and attractive wide credenza on the large wall with a great sofa table in the back of floating sofa.

Do you need to replace sofa or rug? If not, then a sofa table behind it, with new sofa pillows and two great arm chairs in cream and facing the sofa, and new round coffee table up on legs would give you flexibility for the future. A sectional can be very limiting without adding much seating. You do already have a chaise on current sofa.

Bolton Lounge Chair, Light Beige · More Info

Round Pattern Modern Coffee Table · More Info

Etsy offers some great, affordable wood sofa tabletops in any length and height. Just use their search box--"console tables, hairpin legs"

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Hi Lauren. You've discussed layout and have houzzers on it.

Brainstorming about 'computer corner' -- along with look of rustic flooring, would you like a closed nook there, with a nice barn door?

Tracey Rapisardi Design · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

They have basic furniture - and not 'all out rustic'

Odessa New Construction · More Info

Dallas, TX: Scott & Melissa Powell / New Leaf · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

About greys, and your flat cabinets - checking with you this type: over a light rug, or not -- of this table look? chairs don't have to be dark brown or black ---

Cambridge, MA First Floor Transformation · More Info

Mid-60's Portland Ranch - Edic Residence Remodel · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

With greys, the accent of nice brass / gold lighting, chair frames, etc. seems very stylish - by the wall on sofa table?

Avery 27.5" Crystal Table Lamp, Clear and Brass Gold, Set of 2 · More Info

Safavieh Linus Brass Column Table Lamps, 28.5" High, Set of 2 · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Livens up grey and espresso-

Fangio Lighting 28" Ceramic Table Lamp, Turquoise Crackle · More Info

• Lauren Hawthorne
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cant decide how i want it.. do you think any of these look good? trying to take your advice!

the chairs on the left are the bar stools and the other chair is for the built in desk. the cabinet in the back would be a little bar

i floated the couch and it looks and feels a lot better. thanks for your advice! i think we may need a small couch with an ottoman or a smaller sectional though.

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Say you move the couch forward-- and tv screen is perfect in that area-- possibly a walk-around wall is ok, whether 'temporary' or not. Make it accented with a 'fit' material/ color. It'd hide bathroom [when door is open].
    Place a table and/or chairs in front of accent wall / fold up and place to the side for movies.

Jewell Street Addition · More Info

• everdebz
    2 years ago

Idk if mine makes sense yet - install temporary or permanent wall 'connected' to the wall [with the window/ door] about 75" wide. Not a pony-half wall I suppose but maybe?

Could call it 'floating the wall' out from the hallway spot you've mentioned. People merely walk around to the left just like a hallway.

• JT7abcz
    2 years ago

Lauren, any of the boards you put together would work - I'm glad you're looking to replace the desk chair. Which of them best represents you and your boyfriend's taste and will be the most functional for the way you live and entertain?