Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aruffolo2

keeping golden oak trim w/updated dark walnut flooring???

Andrea R
2 years ago

All the base trim & window trim in our house is golden oak & the current flooring is 24 year old laminate wood flooring in the golden color. Recently refaced oak cabinets to a creamy white & now want to update floor. I can’t afford to replace all the trim in house to white as I’d ideally like. I am thinking of replacing floor with a dark walnut LVP. Will that still look ok w/keeping my current trim? Just for reference, I get lots of natural light in the space & have cathedral ceilings in the space. Walls are an off white.

Comments (9)

• kempek01
    2 years ago

If the trim matches the doors, you can probably pull it off.

Are you planning to replace the carpet with the walnut LVP also?? (or is that a rug)

• ljjolliffe
    2 years ago

I am wrestling something similar except I have hard wood I am staining and adding new to hall way. I feel like I need to use golden oak (my guy uses duraseal). But I was thinking of going a little more brown. Please let us know what you decide. I might check out nutmeg for my red oak flooring. Suggestions...I will let you know what it ends up or me

• Andrea R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Deciding between a dark walnut LVP or the 12x24 tile. Obviously 2 completely different looks & materials. Lighter wood tones clashed too much w/trim color which is why we’re considering dark LVP option. Tile option has enough variation to compliment trim. Not sure which one looks best. Dark LVP makes cabinets pop a bit more while the tile blends.

• ljjolliffe
    2 years ago

I like the walnut but warning the darker floor will show dirt and

• Katrina Hutton
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I think you shouldn't go so dark. Pick an lvp that isn't that dark maybe and paint your trim. You could rough it up with sand paper and prime and paint the trim. It be tedious but may work.

• Karen Lucht
    2 years ago

I am doing the EXACT same thing and really like your dark sample (after looking at sooo many samples it is evident for my place that the dark contrast works best with my oak color). Could you please let me know what the sample is? (Brand and color. I tried zooming in on the label but it just gets fuzzy). Thank you so much!

• Andrea R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sorry for the delayed response. The flooring brand is Karndean Luxury Vinyl Plank - Tenebra Walnut

• Karen Lucht
    2 years ago

No worries! thanks so much for letting me know! what did you decide to do? id love to see pics! (ive decided on a walnut lvp and will also be painting some cupboards. Yours are lovely!)

• Andrea R
    Original Author
    2 years ago

We chose the Tenebra Walnut LVP. Floors should be coming in a few weeks. I will share pics once installed. It was tough finding something that would go w/the golden oak trim/doors, so I hope it turns out like I envision. Good luck with your project as well.