Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
troutguy5

Which is better? Fireplace or an unobstructed view?Chimney blocks view

Jeff Smith
2 years ago

For our new build the 3rd floor "loft" or "tower" is about 35 ft. high with eye-level about 28 ft. View is somewhat stunning in 360 degrees to firs, aspens & distant mountains. Unfortunately, there's a stone chimney in the plan that vents from LR up through the roof. This chimney will be covered in attractive stone but will block maybe 45 deg. of view to the NE from the "loft". This NE view is the "worst" view direction. Should we forego the gas fireplace in favor of the best view possible OR live with it, or try to move the fireplace to a suboptimal location so chimney emerges elsewhere in roof?? 3 pics: 2 elevations showing chimney plus one image showing view in that direction. The loft is very important and will be my main hangout room.

Comments (69)

• David Cary
    2 years ago

A direct vent would generally not vent vertically up a chimney. I am not sure if that is even possible. A fireplace doesn't have to be for the purpose of heating a space but it is a nice way to not have it be wasteful. Agree that it is sort of expected in such a house.

As you acknowledge, the loft is fairly impractical. It will probably be so hot much of the time from the windows and the air connection to the main space of the house. It also is lonely - which may be the intent. But the whole thing blocks the view - even if it is 360 degrees - from where most of the people will be most of the time.

When you shower, you may have to walk through the closet to lock the door. I haven't found an ideal way to lock a pocket door.

• apple_pie_order
    2 years ago

Just curious: what are your favorite features in the current design? It looks like it has very wide spiral stairs up to the loft. The walk in closet looks bigger than the loft.

Jeff Smith thanked apple_pie_order
  • res2architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

The double-wall metal vent pipe of a direct-vent gas fireplace can terminate at the roof inside of a stone enclosure or terminate on an exterior wall.

In any case, modern direct vent fireplaces are enclosed systems that are treated as heating appliances with room thermostats and internal fans that run whenever the unit is hot.

I couldn't make much sense out of the floor plan. Is the loft just the left over space from a spiral stair? When I have done tower lofts smaller than 100 s.f., I used an "alternating tread stair" to maximize the usable space of the loft.

Jeff Smith thanked res2architect
  • kevin9408
    2 years ago

I'm not a PRO but when the mind struggles to make sense of a design there's a problem. When approaching a house and confusion exists where the main entrance might be there's a problem. Franklin L. Wright liked to hide the main entrance and guide a visitor to it with paths and low walls, I can't find your path. When you need to close one eye and tilt your head trying to understand the roof lines and shapes because there is no balance there's a problem. Maybe your architect could look at plans from old houses with widow's nests to find a better flow and transition to your loft over two flights of spiral staircase to get there.

I do like the neighbors house, and agree with everything Patricia said.

• chispa
    2 years ago

Am I reading this correctly ... to get from your secondary bedrooms (on ground/first floor) to the living area on second floor, you have to use a spiral staircase?

Have you ever lived with a spiral staircase?

I have rented 2 properties with them over the years and would never choose to add one.

Actually, the people who bought the house we rented when we first moved to the west coast, removed the spiral staircase as one of their first improvement projects.

• Shannon_WI
    2 years ago

“when driving around the community the understated wooden/stone structures blend into the natural forest”

I do not see any way that your home blends into the natural forest. Nor is it the least bit understated. It’s a disjointed, non-harmonious design that is unsettling to look at.. I would start over with your home’s design. Find an architect who will remove 75% of the jogging walls, dozens of corners, and rooflines that are literally disjointed. I suggest you look for inspiration at the neighboring homes that you mentioned.

Jeff Smith thanked Shannon_WI
  • 3onthetree
    2 years ago

I think there are multiple floors of CAD drawings overlayed causing me confusion, and the tower looks to have some offset walls between floors, and can't quite picture the offset placement of the basement stair compared to the tower stair being located in an "open to below" (your marked RED areas).

If I am reading it correctly, do you need the hallway behind the FP? I marked some walls with PURPLE, moving the FP back in BLUE, larger Great Room space in LAVENDER, elevator in YELLOW. On the 3rd floor tower, sightline views through windows marked in GREEN, sitting area in LAVENDER.

This is zero'ed in on just solving the FP in the way of the view (if it did to begin with, but I'm not sure it did), not the roof in the way, but personally I would massage much more of the tower location with respect to the FP and reworking the roofs, if not some other things.

Jeff Smith thanked 3onthetree
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

"Have you ever lived with a spiral staircase?"

I always feel like I am chasing my tail.

I second the suggestion of the alternating tread stair. I have used it in two projects and that is how I get access to my office in my garage.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Part of the problem that I have with sorting out what this house actually looks like is the cartoonish appearance of the three dimensional representation. A similar representation could render the Taj Mahal as clumsy, I don't see the appeal of this sort of modeling ( I am not blaming you OP, it's the technology) Do you have any drawings that might be more realistic/less Lego?

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@apple_pie_order My favorite features are the wrap around decks on the second (main living) floor. They are accessible from several points in the house and will be at eye level with aspens, firs and pines, plus have an exciting view in most directions.

To all: yes, there's a spiral staircase but also notice the elevator just to the north of primary stairwell, so spiral staircase is really mostly for the loft.

@palimpsest Yes, it's hard to imagine because the CAD software they use makes elevations look blocky and out of proportion. Further, eventually there will be very nice stone, "distressed" wood for siding and not baby-poop yellow.

Here's another elevation and rooflines may be wonky but maybe not too bad?

@Shannon_WI I hope when real siding is on, landscaping is done, etc. that it will blend in. Further, it's on an almost 3 acre lot partially hidden by the ridge so it's hardly visible anyway, ha ha. But - yes, the rendering compress the dimensions and make things look odd.

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3onthetree The "open to below" part means that in the "tower" or loft there is only a floor on top floor (3rd floor), not on the main living floor (2nd floor). So, that tower with staircase will function as a huge light gatherer and flood the other parts of the 2nd floor with light. Secondly, when one stands on deck near DR/LR you'll be able to see through the large window to the west. No, probably don't need hall behind FP but my wife wants a cantilevered FP structure like below.

• res2architect
    2 years ago

You need a more professional set of 2D & 3D architectural drawings.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

What is a "cantilevered FP" in terms of that inspo pic? You mean an "island," that is see through double-sided, yet you see through to the blank wall of the elevator? If the FP prominence is so desired, maybe that should be an anchor of the house to build around.

I can't figure these drawings out, even knowing they overlap. Here's what I see with the tower and stair on those drawings:

- 3rd floor has northside open to below which lights up the elevator "lobby." The floor either slides by the spiral stair sitting in the middle of the room to a sliver on the right of the stair, or it doesn't, can't tell (there are 2 east exterior walls shown). There is a separate half-tone stair shown in the south quadrant as well, but how can you see through the floor to see that stair?

- 2nd floor has southside open to below which lights up the 1st floor (ground level). This is where I assume the second set of stairs go down to 1st floor, but how can you get to them because there is no floor to access it?

As far as the massing, roofs, and elevations, I'll offer an opinion worth the price you paid for it:

- If you have a concept of competing roofs and "blocks" of functions/rooms that are visibly expressed on the exterior, that can work if done right and carried through true to the concept. Here, it is not working. There is no cohesiveness, no central focus, rather a place for your eye to go. Your eye just jumps around the entire house and can't find a place to settle because so much is going on. The first floor (grade level) juts, jogs, and overhangs are probably adding to this phenomenon. Hopefully this doesn't offend you or your architect, but this is the first image that popped in my head when I first saw the 3Ds:

Not in dilapidation or mess, but in the way that shanty houses grow: rooms or neighbors individually with no regard to each other, yet are connected; there is a commonality of materials, yet with design lines competing with each other; maybe at macro level a heirarchy forced by a hillside, yet at micro level each entity competing for your attention. I do in fact find beauty in the entire visual perspective of a shanty town, however, that is because this concept is through and through.

• David Cary
    2 years ago

The roof lines are disjointed for sure. Is that perhaps on purpose for some reason? The neighbor house has a bit of excess when it comes to roof lines but there is some repeating elements. Your roof lines have no repeating elements.

I don't know enough to say that is a problem. But you should be comfortable with it and realize its difference from the neighbor.

I certainly know that I don't want to use an elevator (in a residential house) on a daily basis. Nearly every time I have them at a rental, it is used once to take groceries/luggage up. I see the value if you are injured but if I am able, I am taking the stairs. So I don't find the argument about the spiral stairs settled by the prescence of the elevator.

Good for you for sticking around with lots of critical energy.

Speaking of which - that neighbors house has some awful grass and boring landscaping for a multi-million dollar home. And those white windows stick out a bit which emphasizes the excessive variation in grid pattern/size. Then there appear to be screens on some which changes the appearance of the grids - adding to the disharmony. (See - you can't win with some people).

I have also to add on that everyone's meaning of "understated" is probably a bit different...

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Wrong question. This is a gas fireplace. No way no how does the chimney need to be obstructive or a decorative element. I would not want it blocking a window view--unless it was a back alley garbage can. The chimney can easily be a small round pipe. What you have proposed is just showing off for the neighbors!!!

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Congratulations on building a home with such a lovely view! I understand having to work with an HOA and ARB, but I do think you can build yourself a better home. I agree with others that you should maybe start with a new architect. I love a wood fireplace but for any fireplace, maybe you can place it on the non-view side of the house so it doesn't compete. My personal opinion is that in the end, simpler homes are better. This doesn't mean they aren't interesting (I visited an FLW home that was so clever, but could be lived in just as easily today as the day it was built). Your lot is SO beautiful.

One other thing- I don't know where you are building, but is your home in an area where wildfires are a concern? If so, has your architect advised you on building your home for fire resistance? You might want to consider it. Good luck with your home!

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mimimomy The FP is currently in the middle of a room, so it shouldn't block the view. We really do have constraints on the shape & style of home, the ARB pamphlet is 99 pages long. I would build a simpler house, too. I'm getting the feeling the new home is a monstrosity but I believe part is because of the preliminary 3D renderings from their software. I'm going to mock up the siding, stone & roof with realistic materials and see how it looks. In terms of fire, it's certainly an issue. The community has its own fire department with 2 stations and has already cleared thousands of beetle - killed trees, just like all over the West & Rockies. We are required by code to have an interior sprinkler system. Secondly, the county comes around and gives free advice on how to mitigate fire risk adjacent to dwellings, so we'll be sure to get that analysis done.

@arcy_gw Definitely, the vent is just a little 4 - 6 in. diameter pipe. However, we're required to surround fireplace vent pipe with stone by ARB. No metal vent pipes are permitted.

@David Cary Elevator is planning for old age. We're both young and strong but somebody in our house suggested planning for the future, ha ha. Thanks for the comments. Below are a few pictures of other houses in the community just to give a sense of what the guidelines are...they are obviously all custom and all different.

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Since the taller shed roof is one of the things that seems to be interfering with the view, why not just lower the pitch on the shed on the left, raise it on the right and just have a conventional ridge on the the roof? (If it can be done) I feel like the taller shed, since it does not really contribute anything like clerestory windows to the room on the left is more or less a party trick on the outside of the house that doesn't appear to contribute to the inside. It also raises the pitch off the upper right hand corner of that big window on that wall, which was one of the things that bothered me

It still doesn't solve the chimney issue but it may improve the view otherwise. Messy reworking of the two shed roofs:

• chispa
    2 years ago

The ARB requirements look like they span a wide range of styles ... as long as the result is some shade of brown.

• User
    2 years ago

Pal’s suggestions improve it for sure. But it's still a gargoyle as a whole. And not one like the cool Darth Vader one that is on the National Cathedral.

• dan1888
    2 years ago

I doubt you'll start over. For this plan i'd relocate or eliminate the fireplace. I'd start playing around with the slope of the roof lines. The gable roof lines could look better with more slope. Looking at the last 3D elevation the left gable roof has a lower slope than the adjacent shed segment. I'd match all the roof slopes. And play around with increasing all the slopes to evaluate the impact visually of more slope as a design statement. This could unify the structure. Metal roofing, if allowed, may upgrade the look.

Jeff Smith thanked dan1888
  • LH CO/FL
    2 years ago

You obviously can never ever see 360-degrees all at once, so a slight obstruction isn't a problem. My home has views, and I feel that a column, balcony support, window edge, etc. doesn't take away from it at all. As others have said, make the chimney as small as your committee will allow, and your roof will become a bigger obstacle.

Jeff Smith thanked LH CO/FL
  • LH CO/FL
    2 years ago

And forgot -- our home has a spiral stair and regular stairs up to the top level. When we were looking at the house, the realtor said, "Kids love spiral stairs." And he's right -- they're fun, but many times I'm glad we also have the regular stairs up there. Carrying things, even just a full cup of coffee down/up can be tricky.

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@mimimomy Very dramatic photo. I was reading yesterday about concrete siding that appears like wood. https://unitedwindowsandsiding.com/siding/ Good ideas, thanks.

@dan1888 Good thoughts. Metal roofing is allowed. I like the idea of standardizing the slopes, too. Will discuss with architect.

@palimpsest Adding a clerestory window...great idea!! The more light the better... May have to reduce height of clerestory window because roof slope may be reduced.

See attached - I redid one elevation with sample stone, siding, paint/stain for posts & railings. Crude sagebrush as landscaping because there will be very little formal landscaping...will add trees next iteration.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Is the main entrance up the circuitous stairs to the backside of the kitchen (RED arrow)? To me, the gable for the Master Bedroom screams this is where you enter (GREEN oval). Or do guests enter around the house on grade level downstairs by the elevator, and there are closets there?

• res2architect
    2 years ago

There is no concrete siding to my knowledge, however, fiber-cement composite siding is made of cement and wood fibers.

Jeff Smith thanked res2architect
  • cpartist
    2 years ago

Is that the kitchen you have to walk through to get to the master bedroom? And where are the appliances?

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3onthetree Entry is 1st floor, around side of the house, see attached. We're currently working with architect on entry and we aren't really pleased with view shown here. Visitors would enter front entry on 1st floor, ascend the stairs to main living floor (2nd) OR take elevator to second floor. Extended guests have their own suite with small kitchen, own entry from garage, also have their own patio with hot tub (all on 1st floor rear of house). The attached image mocks up some stones & landscaping to try to separate/enhance front entry.

What is circled in your image is backyard stairs. Related to back yard stairs we're moving them over towards garage more, so that stairs aren't as visible from 1st floor windows.

@RES2 Yes, they are likely not heavy, solid concrete but a siding type less likely to catch fire quickly.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

I think you've been given very good advice to rethink the whole plan. It is as stated by those with design skills, not cohesive at all. Your changes don't make it anymore cohesive. Sorry.

Additionally as mentioned a spiral staircase is an accident waiting to happen. I would seriously rethink that. If not for you, then in case you ever have to sell as that would be looked at as a HUGE negative for resale. Elevator or not.

We have an elevator. I've been in my house 3 years and used it once. To show my friend who's in a wheelchair what the upstairs looks like. Right now it has all our suitcases and several of my drawings that I've just gotten back from the gallery. (I'm an artist)

Jeff Smith thanked cpartist
  • 3onthetree
    2 years ago

Steve, is this the house you currently live in? Are you personally penning the design of this new build too, and is your architect making substantial contributions to the concept and how it is coming together, or taking just a back seat? I see some uncanny resemblance.

"We did all design except for assistance with lighting and some suggestions from builder. Our architect had design ideas, too, of course."

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@3onthetree What a memory?! Yes, this is our current house in pic directly above with flowers. We only do aesthetic design, like paint, stone, landscaping, flooring, fp type, etc. The architects in both cases do all the basic work, in terms of shape, style, form, roof pitch,floor plan. By "design" I mean aesthetics not engineering. Some people hire a designer - we don't.

I think part of the resemblance in the house designs is that it's a Rocky Mountain state, it's between 2018 and 2022 and this is the popular look many people want around Vail, Jackson WY, Denver, etc. We didn't recommend to the current or former architect any particular design - this is what each came up with in both cases.

Here's a pic that presents a different view of our same house (left) ...the neighbor's house to right also has partial shed roofs & unconvential roof slopes designed by a different architect...

This is one of our design-only inspirations but we don't employ this architect. Notice many roof designs are unconventional like that below.

https://berglundarchitects.com/project/upper-chiming-bells-residence-2/

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

Would the roof that the chimney projects out of be in the way of the view more than the chimney?

Jeff Smith thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Mark Bischak, Architect It may be, yes. Meeting with architect tomorrow to discuss:

a.possibly moving chimney to other roof

b.aligning roof pitches so they are the same angle if possible

c.add clerestory window, if space

Will post update

• User
    2 years ago

This is one of the saddest expenditures of money for a really bad result as has ever been posted on this forum in 25 years of some of the worst DIY designs that could be imagined. This is what happens when people have money and control issues, but don’t know thay have zero talent in a field. They crash the bus into an abutment and over a cliff. And keep on crashing, because they won’t allow a professional driver to take control. The ”previous home” is another disjointed bus crash.

Burn this and erase it from your memory. Hire an architect with talent who won’t allow you to back seat drive over a cliff. Just give them the destination, and let the expert drive.

Jeff Smith thanked User
  • Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User Thank goodness it's not a DIY. Thanks goodness the current house has risen in value more than $1 million dollars in 2 years and that's some "crash", ha ha.

Suggest you think about offering positive advice on this forum, but obviously you have no talent and can only criticisze. Obviously you're a better (what?) then 2 professional architecture firms?

• David Cary
    2 years ago

Well - he certainly was harsh. But rising $1M in 2 years doesn't mean much of anything without context. And sadly, many folks do not have much taste either so pay a lot for what many would consider not attractive.

That being said, I can totally see that some do not like this design element. I don't mind that shot of your house but the neighbor's house - that hurts my eyes.

• Jean
    2 years ago

Which direction(s) is the view on the posted floorplan?

• palimpsest
    2 years ago

Personal ideas about esthetics aside professional architecture firms design problematic roof structures and floorplans every day.

• dan1888
    2 years ago

For me the roof slope of a gable ended structure brings pre-existing things to mind when the slope is low. 3/12 or 4/12, I see a pole barn for those low slopes. Less reminds me of a mobile home or commercial structure. As the slope gets closer to 6/12 those visualizations go away.

• cpartist
    2 years ago

Since you decided to ignore my first comments, I decided to repost them.

Is that the kitchen you have to walk through to get to the master bedroom? And where are the appliances?

I think you've been given very good advice to rethink the whole plan. It is as stated by those with design skills, not cohesive at all. Your changes don't make it anymore cohesive. Sorry.

Additionally as mentioned a spiral staircase is an accident waiting to happen. I would seriously rethink that. If not for you, then in case you ever have to sell as that would be looked at as a HUGE negative for resale. Elevator or not.

We have an elevator. I've been in my house 3 years and used it once. To show my friend who's in a wheelchair what the upstairs looks like. Right now it has all our suitcases and several of my drawings that I've just gotten back from the gallery. (I'm an artist)

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This post not dead, ha ha. We changed the design a lot. Please comment. Changed almost all roof types to be gable and made all pitches the same (except tower), moved tower toward center of house, moved garage away from house & separated by hallway. Divided the windows into into smaller sections - not so many large panes. We're concluding that our architect is good on technical parts but maybe not so great on aesthetics...hopefully, slowly and surely the visual appeal is improved. The chimney will not be so tall, I'm hoping (code requirement).

Main idea is to still have house be pretty tall and most living to take place on 2nd floor & in tower - this is to maximize views.

@cpartist One accesses kitchen through LR or other public space, not through MB. We are building an open space to accomodate an elevator later if it's needed. Spiral staircase has been replaced with standard stairs.

• M Miller
    2 years ago

It’s still extremely busy. Why can’t you do something simpler? You can still get the huge house you want.

• LH CO/FL
    2 years ago

Aren't you on a ridge with uninterrupted views all around? Why do you need this tall (extremely complicated) structure when something that works with the surrounding terrain would still give you amazing views. Does the view really get better by being 10-15 feet higher? Is it worth it to have such a conglomeration of rooflines when something simpler would work with the landscape?

• kevin9408
    2 years ago

A double wide trailer house would work just fine with less of an impact on the environment with consideration to the people in the valley. I mean who wants to look up and see weird looking houses sitting on the ridge?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

It looks excessively complex and contrived to me.

• Jeff Smith
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Still ugly, then? I don't take it personally. How to improve? It's too late to start over. The house design was driven by someone else, based on inside rooms.

@LH CO/FL Definitely the view improves when rising higher. The attached pic from 15 ft. shows a favorite view towards jagged, snowy mountains; this will be eye height (approx.) on living floor - second floor. The evergreens won't grow much but aspens grow fast and want to be above or nearly above them. Good point about conglomeration of rooflines - I'll ask architect if some of those shed roofs can be changed to just gables.

• 3onthetree
    2 years ago

This is a similar hodgepodge of a roof in Colorado. Does the mafia run the roofing industry or something there?

Trying to find some inspiration, or reason as to why this design is stuck in this concept. All I can resort to is a little humor, and conclude that Sherry (a Florida Coastal Beachhouse), met Rufus (a Colorado Mining structure), and were sitting in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G, first came love, then came marriage, then came a baby in a baby carriage.

• LH CO/FL
    2 years ago

So the height is necessary, but the complicated roof doesn't have to be. We're building in the Rockies as well, and really strived to have our house blend into the landscape - used natural rocks and wood tones found in the region. We have different roof lines over different sections of the house, but each one is simple. The gable is just a simple gable. The shed is a simple single shed. Can you work on simplifying the exterior so you can see the home, instead of angles, slopes and corners?

Edit to add... I'm not saying that every home there is ideal or perfect, but spend some time looking at the listings (sold and for sale) at Martiscamp.com As you add more roof surfaces, think to yourself, "What would Martis Camp do?" Yes, many of the houses are over the top, but many more are elegant in their simplicity.

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I have played this game before, where an equation is stated then someone tries to duplicate the pattern.

Symphony + Poem = Drum set falling down stairs