Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth_bullock67

making living Area look more polished.

Beth Bullock
2 years ago

I am looking to make this end of my living room look a little more “polished “ and complete. (I have lightened up the decor considerably!) Any ideas?

Comments (31)

• acm
    2 years ago

It's hard to give advice in a vacuum -- i.e., seeing the other end of ther room would be a big help. What jumps out to me is (1) that there are two lamps in the back of the room, but neither provides any light to the seating area, and (2) theh check pattern is quite rustic, while the rest of the furnishings appear more modern/sophisticated...

• Yvonne Martin
    2 years ago

In my view, you have too many patterns fighting for attention--striped floors, plaid chairs, print rug, and a table with curlicues. The room would look much better with a dark grey or white rug. If that is not possible, the easiest to change is the endtable--find something simpler. Moreover, the room lacks lamps; probably you could use the one that's on the table under the painting on a new table for between the chairs. You could also consider a large dark grey ottoman to replace the table between the chairs. I woulder about the fabric that is emerging from the basket under the table--polished suggests that this should be folded neatly.

That is the rest of the room? Why are the chairs not facing each other? How do you use this room?

• Amy Lynn
    2 years ago

I don't see a problem with the rug or chair pattern together. I think that you have too many leggy and open pieces. I would try a more solid cabinet between the windows and then a simple table, maybe iron, between the chairs. The chairs look lonely, they need the addition of a lamp, pillows, a throw, something to cozy this area up. Maybe a battery operated picture light above the art to fill that space and bring some interest.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

While I like cafe curtains, they aren't the most "polished" of window treatments. What else is in the room? How about the end you are satisfied with; what's there? What's the piece of furniture in the right foreground corner? Do you have a sofa, other art, coffee or other tables? We don't have enough info to be very helpful.

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

The room wont look finished until the windows are properly dressed. A formal space calls for curtain panels. I am guessing the lamps are ill placed due to the electric outlets. Perhaps the room needs a total rearranging so the lamps are useful.

• chloebud
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would be tempted to remove the items on the console table. Maybe replace them with something low like a long, narrow wood dough bowl and a few stacked books (depending on tje dogh bowl length). If it appeals, you can use the dough bowl for seasonal items, such as ornaments or mini pumpkins. The bowls also look nice with nothing added. You did a nice job of spacing the art over the console table.

I love your windows without anything but understand if you want privacy and/or some softness.

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

Very nice. It might help to see the other side of the room, or to at least know the color of your sofa, if there is one there. But you might also save that for a one on one with a designer. More focused and less confusion, versus trying to sift and sort through a gazillion opinions. Lots of affordable e-design options these days.

I think your space is basically done, and I also love the detail on the windows, so would leave them, as is. I just added a couple of touches: navy velvet pillows, a ‘statement’ lamp, a tray. Doesn’t have to be any of these specific items, but just some ideas for you, since you are here. :) So just a few finishing touches, maybe. And it doesn’t have to be a lamp with red in it, either - although I think I saw a touch of red and/or orange in your art, and that inspired me.

ETA: I think you could try hanging your console art just a few inches higher. Try that, and see how it looks. It would be more centered between the windows, clear the lamp a bit, and would also give the space more height.

• Stacey
    2 years ago

I really like it. Maybe new lamp. Love the mustard throw. Think I would look for a round iron table between the chairs.

• N Johnson
    2 years ago

Is the stripe pattern on the floor below the carpet your hardwood or a different carpet? If it stays, you would probably do better to replace the blue/gray patterned rug with a sisal with black trim or some type of black embellishment. The diagonally placed buffalo check is a huge pattern in the room, so I think additional color should be solid rather than the lamp suggestions above (if you’re looking for polished as opposed to eclectic). How often do two people sit at that end of the room? Are they reading, talking, sipping cocktails? What does the console table do for the room in its current location? I’d replace it with a settee or a Windsor bench or another seating option and a coffee table — or a tall bookshelf. Give the furniture a reason for being there.

• N Johnson
    2 years ago

Check out the Latest Stories at the top of the page on “How to Decorate a Living Room”. Great advice for your question there too!

• freedomplace1
    2 years ago

I really don’t think you need another rug; and for sure, I would opt out of the idea of trashing your current rug, so that you can match your buffalo check chairs with a sisal featuring a black border... (I could follow this up with a snide remark such as the one N Johnson made regarding a couple of the lamp ideas I posted. I could say something like, “Don’t do the sisal with black border, if you want ‘polished’ versus ridiculous.” But... since I have so much class, I will stop short of that.:)

And while I’m at it: I also think you have enough seating on that side, and I don’t think you need to try to cram a settee in there, too. I assume you have created a nice seating arrangement there for your purposes. And I would guess you are probably not going for the crowded furniture store or storage unit look. Plus, I suspect you have some additional furniture on the other side of the room - so folks will not have to BYOF. ;)

As I said above, find a designer, if you need one. Save yourself the grief.

• Christine Wagner
    2 years ago

The room is very nice. But I think replacing the checked chairs with something less “farmhouse” or “country” would go a long way toward your goal of more polished. The rest of your space is very easy and sophisticated, but the chairs are bold and boxy. And I agree with previous comments about lamp placement.

• Beth Bullock
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Other views of the room. It is long and rather awkward for furniture arrangement. The stripes on the floor are cherry inlay in a maple floor and original to the house. I will get a larger piece of art for the wall behind the chairs but I will wait to find something I really like. Thank you!

• Beth Bullock
    Original Author
    2 years ago

A new piece of art is on the way for over the fireplace.

• Valinta
    2 years ago

The end of the room in question: Lose the current furniture except for the chairs. Add a square or round table that can be used for games, puzzles, or just a relaxing place to sit and converse. A ligt over the table would define the space.

• Beth Bullock
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Valinta, when we tried to imagine how the room was furnished in 1915 we guessed that there was probably a game table at that end of the room! A light over the area is something I have not thought of. Thank you.

• Babs Fla
    2 years ago

Ditch the cafe curtains on the windows and hang some nice white sheers.

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

I think this room is very inviting. Lots of comfy places to sit! Agree with @Babs Fla that full length white sheers will look better.

• Beth Bullock
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I may add sheets. We need the cafes for privacy. We live in the city.

• Beth Bullock
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sheets! Not sheets!

• Beth Bullock
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Sheers

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

Do you have some pictures of what "polished" looks like to you. I have an idea in my mind, but I feel like that is a word that is open to many interpretations. It's a lovely room!

• N Johnson
    2 years ago

I think I’ve been in a house of similar design.
    The cafe’ curtains are fine because they let in a lot of light. Lovely floor! How do you use this large room? I don’t see a TV so either you don’t use or you have another room for that.
    Try switching the buffalo check chair for the brown chair in the corner and put its pair over where the basket is. Is that end more of a sunroom or does it open to another room (kitchen, dining room)? Someday, you should consider replacing the blue sofa with something up on legs that is more classic. Currently it’s a large dark mass in the room — that, and the dark brown and black of the fireplace surround makes that area look smaller. Black and white check up on legs will open it a bit and complement the black and white of the fireplace. How do you use the other end of the room?

• Stacey
    2 years ago

Beth, I absolutely love your home! You are so lucky! Beautiful. Please don’t cover those gorgeous windows with sheers. If anything, inside mount good old fashion roller shades that disappear.

• N Johnson
    2 years ago

My apologies to freedomplace. I surely did not mean to be snide and I am so sorry to have come across that way. Please forgive me.

• Beth Bullock
    Original Author
    2 years ago

The fireplace is cobalt blue. It is our living room. TV is in the 3rd floor family room. We read there a lot (so we definitely need lamps). We entertain in there so I tried for a room arrangement that could seat a good number of people. We pull the checked chairs a little closer to the couch area when there are multiple couple visiting.

• Beth Bullock
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I have already ordered a large piece of art to go over the fireplace.

• N Johnson
    2 years ago

Try the check chairs flanking the fireplace — it sure looks like you have the space? I have nearly the same furniture in a 1920s cottage. Blue and black do not really clash (see the blue and black with your grate and the tile?) Your house is adorable — love the blue tile (!) and your floor is great. (Mine is a mishmash of red oak, white oak and heart pine — at one point mine had deteriorated to an off-campus party house). If you move the brown wingback over to the far end of the room, and add a 48” round or square game table, you could bring in 4 vintage Windsor chairs (reasonably priced antiques or reproductions) that would play off your Colonial mantle and reflect that early 20th century vibe. That would give you a place for a fireside meal or games or paperwork and even more seating when you have more people over.

• Ruth
    2 years ago

I would try to tie the room together to make a larger seating area. get a larger rug for the area where the sofa is and pull the Buffalo plaid chairs up closer to be perpendicular to the sofa. Replace the coffee table with a round one. Alternatively you could replace the chairs with a perpendicular love seat. Once that is done, then decide what you want to do with what is left of the back end of the room, maybe some nice built ins to display art or books or collections, or maybe a bar.

• decoenthusiaste
    2 years ago

Upgrade the table lamps and the table between the two chairs for starters. Then see where you might take it. I'm not crazy about the rugs; they seem a bit busy, especially with the built-in stripes of your floor. Have you considered a wool sisal? Another option is to flip the two areas and do a game table at the fireplace with some slimmer chairs and the plaid ones in place of the sofa. Then put the sofa at the other end of the room with another pair of chairs and some tall casegoods piece opposite the large window.

Beach Style Living Room · More Info