Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
francesca_loudon

Repainting kitchen cabinets

Ac Lb
2 years ago

8 years ago we built our house. I had to make quick decisions without much research... I ended up regretting most of my final decisions on finishes. At the time I wanted antique white cabinets and busy granite:(. Since we’ve moved we’ve repainted our walls white and installed off white subway tiles. I know white doesn’t go with our granite, but my husband and I were thinking of eventually matching the cabinets with the backsplash.
We are a couple of weeks away from getting these professionally repainted. Would you go with alabaster white to match the walls?

Comments (49)

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’m planning on adding artwork as new curtains to my space or switching out the rug in my dining room.

• kempek01
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would tell you to slow down.

You have already made one set of decisions 8 years ago that you didn't like.

Now you want to paint the cabinets white (which will match your backsplash and your walls), but you say that the backsplash doesn't go with the granite. White cabinets are not going to go with the granite any more than the backsplash does.

As part of your decision process, I would suggest you consider changing the granite. That might actually cost less than painting cabinets..

PS. If you'll add "Kitchens" as one of the topics that this is posted under, you will get more opinions from others. Someone may have better advice to offer than I do.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You’re right. We’re going forward with painting the cabinets because we’re not happy with yellow dated look of them. We’re hoping an off white will update the feel of the space a bit.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. I know you painted your cabinets. I’d love your input. Tia.

• M Riz
    2 years ago

That granite will the thing that will forever make you dislike your kitchen. Youre updating the cabinets because of the yellow but the granite is going to look super yellow after the cabinets are whiter. Its going to cost but in the long run its what the kitchen needs. There are so many decisions that have to be made when building and it is terrible when people regret some major & expensive decisions they’ve made. Houzz is full of the same complaint. Are you going to love the island color when the cabinets are lighter? For everything you change, theres a consequence. I hope you get some great advice, good luck.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I really hate to see people throw good money after bad. You already added a backsplash that does not work with the granite added awall color that makes no sense to me it looks gray and connects to nothing that I see. Slow down and think about the choices you are making. You now want to paint the cabinets to go with the wrong backspalsh and IMO if you paint the cabinets to go in that direction then the counters need to go. The 2 level island and the mostly cupboard base cabinets are dated IMO wait until you can at least think about the whole house plan with new wall color. Spaces should always be planned to work together not one space at a time . You now wnat a rug to work with the walls and the walls to work with a poor choice for backspalsh this is all wrong.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

You all have brought up great points. Thank you.

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Are your walls Alabaster?

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, my walls are sw alabaster.

• Timi M
    2 years ago

Yes, paint the cabinets alabaster but also replace the granite (and, perhaps, the backsplash). You’re wanting to go in a whole different color direction in your house and you need to do both to keep it cohesive.

• mimimomy
    2 years ago

I am not sure what your goal is? The cabinets are a very traditional style (I don't consider this "dated" -- it's just a style). If your goal is to move to something that is a more modern look, unfortunately I don't think white paint will make that happen. I really like your kitchen and think you have a lot of great elements, but I think you do need to think about what it is you're trying to accomplish before spending a lot of money for painting cabinets. Especially where so many people seem to be extremely unhappy with the results, even when using a professional painter. Good luck!

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Yes, I think SW Albaster or Pure White would look great on your cabinets with your counters and backsplash. I have some friends who painted Alabaster on wall and Pure White on cabinets and it looks great. They have similar counters.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

My style leans more transitional/transitional. My goal is to eliminate the yellow tone in my cabinets. There is also some cracking in my cabinets that needs to be repaired, so the cabinet maker is painting them at a discounted price. I cannot replace the granite at this time. I’m sure that will happen further down the road... in the next 5-10 years. My husband will most likely get rid of me if I ask him to update one more thing (we’ve updated many mistakes in The past 8 years).
    My goal is to correct the cracking and eliminate the yellow in my cabinets in hopes that it’ll feel less dated. I don’t mind the traditional “dated” look of my cabinets.
    Thank you for taking the tome to read this snd offer your input. It’s truly appreciated!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cecilia, thank you very much!!!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I’d love to see a picture of their space!

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

I will see if i can get a pic. ;)

• bouncy5
    2 years ago

I like your cabinet color. I don’t think white would be an improvement. I wouldn’t paint them unless there is something that we aren’t seeing from your photos. The backsplash is what doesn’t go with everything else.
    I agree that the granite is a little too busy , but still not bad at all.
    Not a designer. Just my opinion. Good luck on your decisions.

• jackowskib
    2 years ago

There's nothing wrong with your cabinets and they look like nice quality. They are just not getting along with the stark backsplash. It's a warm kitchen and the white walls are enough. But really, if the backsplash and counter were updated to enhance the space more cohesively it could be quite lovely. Hire a designer to pull the space together better and give you ideas. Like others have said, just changing your cabinet color is going to give you regrets, yet again.

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Here is a pic of my friend's kitchen. Her counters are even more drastic in color from the wall color. So, I think similar colors would be nice with your counters. Maybe not perfect but nice.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Cecilia, thank you so much! Her granite looks identical to mine! I really love her kitchen!
    I appreciate everyone’s input. I have a lot to think about. Luckily I have time.
    I forgot to mention, they’re also removing the diamond feature on my hood to simplify it.

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Good! Glad it could be of some help!

• tgb1
    2 years ago

I hope Beth weighs in for you Ac. Personally I love the alabaster in your space…:))

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Awe, thank you tgb1! I appreciate that!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your input verbo. You all have convinced me to slow down and possibly hire a pro. I guess after my track record of bad decor selections, it’s not a bad idea.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I just wish I could turn back time!

• tgb1
    2 years ago

Ac - I’ve been working with a designer for a couple years. Honestly it’s the best investment I could have made. She guides me on color, furniture, accessories and anything and everything else you can think of. I do think it would be invaluable for you.

That being said, I still hope Beth weighs in lol….

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Tgb1, I hope she does too! She encouraged me to make a new post. I was hesitant as I have already posted in the past about this... I’m sure houzzers are growing tired of me! I’m glad you’ve had a good experience in hiring a pro.

• Maureen
    2 years ago

Trying to figure out something to pull it all together/least expensive and perhaps the best solution may be the backsplash. Something that ties the granite and island, but doesn't fight with walls or cabinets. Bring home a box of each of your favorites to test (and just return), as a lot is depending on the right choice and laying out more tiles will help.

There are separation points with the adjoining spaces so painting walls in kitchen the same as cabinetry would work and more importantly, help pull the kitchen together.

Sometimes seeing room with a fresh eye can help and hope these added comments allow you to look at the big picture. To better unite dining room/kitchen, suggest lighting over island to complement dining room’s and doing the same with kitchen runner and dining room rug, keeping in mind a softer feel.

I’d reupholster dining chairs (or change color of pads) and change runner; the white is too stark. Finally, changing the island’s stools to something lighter and less bulky would have a big impact.

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

That could be another good option Maureen.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much Maureen!!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Ohh Maureen, I love your rug and lighting suggestions!! Thank you!!

• Maureen
    2 years ago

I sometimes worry that I’m providing too much unwanted advice. Glad it helped and good luck with everything.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

@Maureen please don't stop giving advice. Your so creative.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I agree! Your advice is very helpful!

• Jennifer Hogan
    2 years ago

I learned something years ago that was some of the best advice I have ever been given.

Don't start by selecting your neutrals and whites.

Start with the colors you love.

My sister has countertops that are much like yours and antique white cabinets. It does not look "dated" in her home. It is perfect. Her favorite colors are fall colors, lots of greens, golds, deep orange reds, gray, weathered browns. When she built her home we picked Devine color Moss as her main neutral in her home.

I happen to be very different than my sister, loving deep wine reds, purples and teals. Devine Moss would look pretty atrocious with my colors. I picked a taupe with fairly strong purple undertones for my main neutral. It didn't look violet or pink in my home with all the reds and purples. It was not the color choice of the day when I picked it. Everyone was doing Tuscan warm earth colors or the builders beige and white. Now my color choice is fairly popular, but it won't be 5 years from now. It will still look good with everything I own.

Some of my art and things with Devine Moss, a yellow beige and Light Taupe similar to what I am using in my current home and a darker richer taupe that I used in my last home.

Pick out some of the things you own that you absolutely love. Figure out the colors that you want to use in your art and décor, bed linens and upholstered furnishings.

What are your favorite colors? Which neutral works best with those colors? What white works best with the neutral.

When you figure that out you will love your color choices and be able to build on those choices for the next 5 decades instead of being disappointed every 10 years and feeling like you made a mistake because you picked what was popular and it doesn't fit with what is popular today.

Maria Killam has a color wheel that depicts the major neutral color families. It can be very helpful in figuring out what colors look best with the colors you love.

• RTHawk
    2 years ago

If you look at Cecilia's and Maureen's pictures, they all have one thing in common that your kitchen does not: upper cabinets that go to the ceiling. Even if you repainted your cabinets or change other elements, you will still have different heights for your upper cabinets -- you will not get the look in those pictures unless you change your upper cabinets (of course, this means you change your lower cabinets as well).

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you for your input Jennifer. That’s great advice. I love earth tones too... I think that’s why I made some choices that I made at the time... and shortly after everything was gray and I felt like my house was dated before it was even built. I do see the trend is starting to swing back to earth tone colors. I agree, I need to stick with colors I love. My walls are white, but my rugs and decor include colors I love like reds, creams, and greens.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Rthawk, I agree with what your saying, but I’m okay with my kitchen looking traditional and “dated”. I don’t want my cabinets going to the ceiling... I can hardly reach the top of them as it is. I just want the cabinets to blend in with the walls and look less yellow.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 years ago

Hi Tia. I don't know if I can add much more.

First off, don't base everything off the wall color. that's the easiest thing to change. You're trying to fit all these square pegs in a round hole when it's easier just to choose the square hole.

If there is no white in the granite, why did you do the white tile? To match the cabinets? You put the cart before the horse. tile always comes last. Now you're scrambling try to match tones to two diff surfaces.

forget the wall color for now. worry about granite/tile. paint the walls if you have to. So take alabaster out of the equation UNLESS it's the perfect shade w/your granite/tile. Have you tried painting a sample of alabaster and holding it up against the splash to see how it looks?

Are you painting the island too?

I have a few pics of similar color granite w/white cabinets so you can get an idea.

On you wall it seems pretty white, so it might loo ok w/the tile.

You may want to try Simply White. It's a bit whiter, but still warm

bottom two from the right are Simply and alabaster. not a huge diff. Simply white as a hight light relective value. why not get samples of both, paint a door, or prime and paint a piece of wood and see how it looks? (or order Samplize)

are you keeping that same hood vent? can you remove the applique?

just trying to update a few things.

Have you considered refacing? The reason I did was because I had both slab and shaker drawers and I wanted everything to match

I had all the dated trim work removed too

I don't know if that's an option for you? refacing?

Your granite really isn't that bad. I think if you find the right white, it will work w/the tile/granite.

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you very much Beth! I wish I was more thoughtful in my initial decisions when in the design process of this kitchen. We went with white subway tile initially because we had planned to eventually repaint the cabinets. I do plan on removing the appliqué on the hood to simplify it. Everything else has to stay the same. We plan on replacing the island eventually... 5-10 years. My husband mentioned painting it black, but there are no plans yet.
    I love the pictures you posted! That’s the look I’m going for. I will definitely get samples of simply white and alabaster and go from there!
    I truly appreciate your time!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@Beth H. Here is a picture of our backsplash tile against our alabaster walls.

• Timi M
    2 years ago

It works.

• vlance
    2 years ago

To me, the whole kitchen looks fine as is.  No problem with mixing whites, creams, naturals, wood, etc.  Done.  Move on ὠ9!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Timi! Vlance, thank you. I appreciate it:). Our cabinet paint has cracked over the years, so the cabinet maker is going to repaint them. We thought we’d take the opportunity to change the color to something we like more. Otherwise, I agree... I wouldn’t change the color.

• Timi M
    2 years ago

Looking forward to seeing your updated kitchen! I bet it will be beautiful with the freshly painted cabinets. Please post photos!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I definitely will! They’re going to start in a few weeks:).

• Cecilia
    2 years ago

Can't wait to see what you do!

• Ac Lb
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you Cecilia!