Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ghows_sadayan

Room conversion dilemma

Ghows Sadayan
2 years ago

Hi Houzz folks!

I want to convert the front office area into a closed office. I need 2 walls and a door. Sounds simple but I'm torn on which wall to put the door in.

If I put it by the front entrance door, I can put a 48x80 french glass door.

If I put it on the other longer wall, I can fit a 60x80 glass french door.

Thinking that I should put it facing the corridor so that the corridor is not dark. But would the front entrance look bad then?

If I have the new french door by the front entrance, then I get a long dark corridor, but have a (possibly) good looking door just beside the front door. I'm not sure if this is bad due to 2 doors being so close to each other or if it's a positive.

Please help me, collective brain of Houzz! I'll take all suggestions and thoughts!

Comments (15)

• Ghows Sadayan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Dornan that's a nice idea.. wheels are already spinning.. we're at least putting the wall on the short side on the inside to create a nook and a entryway cubby. ! Thanks!

• User
    2 years ago

I came here to say exactly what Dorman did. I would put a closed off cubby or coat closet in since that is your front door. And put French doors on corridor side. Open cubbies look fine in a mud room or garage entrance but at the front door I would do a cleaner look

• User
    2 years ago

I know you didn’t ask, but replacing those boob lights with some attractive lights would be an inexpensive fix with a big improvement in looks

Ghows Sadayan thanked User
  • L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

Devil's advocate here - but consider how you plan to lay out the space inside the office and where you'll actually want a wall. Where will the desk be in relation to the existing window? Will you want a wall opposite or adjacent to the desk for shelving to accommodate business reference material, printer, files????? Seating space for a chair and side table? Those decisions might point to a clear choice on where the door should be.

Ghows Sadayan thanked L.D. Johnson
  • Ghows Sadayan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@User wife and I brought it up only 2 hours ago.! We agreed it had to go, we didn't agree on what to call it.. she called it boob light, I was more creative.. but yes! It's going away!

• Ghows Sadayan
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Johnson yeah good point.. wall on short side gives me more usable wall, but I've got a layout that works with wall on long side too. I'm going to draw it out just to make sure. Thanks for bringing out this be point!

• kempek01
    2 years ago

@L.D. Johnson is correct in that you need to consider the function of the office over the form (appearance) in the entryway. Put the wall where the office works best. If that means the entrance to the office is off the front entrance, that is fine. You have no less storage at the front door than you do now.

Gaining a coat closet at the front door while messing up the new office will not make you happy in the long run.

However, only you know how to make your office function best for the way you will be working in it.

• L.D. Johnson
    2 years ago

One other thought - consider your willingness to work in a "fish bowl", for lack of a better phrase. If there are people moving about the house while you are working, will you be able to concentrate with activity on the other side of the glass on the corridor side? I do think the doors on the entry side would give you more privacy.

• Ghows Sadayan
    Original Author
    last year

Finally done. Took the mudroom idea and ran with it :)@User

• Linda Dornan
    last year

Oh I love that!! Well done, it’s beautiful!

Ghows Sadayan thanked Linda Dornan
  • Kate
    last year

The walls and office door look great, but think the mud room storage is too casual for a fancy foyer. Looks like they did a nice job though.

• L.D. Johnson
    last year

Nice transformation!

• Ghows Sadayan
    Original Author
    last year

Interesting @Kate, by casual, do you mean too plain? Hooks and handles are pending, but what else would you add to make it fancy?

• Kate
    last year

@Ghows, not too plain just too open for what looks like a formal entry foyer. it seems more like what you would find near a back door entrance. However However, it really depends on what works for your family and the craftsmanship looks good.