Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline_amidala

Kitchen codes versus ergonomics

I‘m in the process of bidding out custom kitchen cabinets. I want a total height of 35” max on my cooktop and prep areas as I find that lost inch more comfortable. My first custom guy said he had to make the height of the bases plus countertop 36”because it is code and needs to fit a DW (even though the DW is going on a different wall/we might get a short drawer DW), and we’ll ”get in trouble” when we try to sell the house. I know 36” is recommeded, but could not find any specific building codes. Is he right, or just being difficult? He also said uppers had to be 54” from floor and no higher. This is our forever home so I don’t care what buyers in 50 years think about our cabinet height. We live in California. Waiting to see what the other guys will say, but I’m not meeting them for a few days.

Comments (20)

• lillyglasgow
    2 years ago

That doesn’t sound right to me! True custom means you can customize ANY part of it. Including height. My custom cabinets are an inch shorter because of a large window and also slightly deeper than traditional cabinets.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked lillyglasgow
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

I could be wrong, but I think there is a code somewhere that says the kitchen must be the way the cook wants it.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • Jennifer K
    2 years ago

He's being difficult. Either his shop is set up to make standard boxes and it will mean new jigs and a bunch of fiddling to do a non-standard size... or he's buying his boxes pre-made and custom making the doors (very common).

Jacqueline Amidala thanked Jennifer K
  • elisejames
    2 years ago

It is code for “I want your business but I don’t care about your opinion.”

Jacqueline Amidala thanked elisejames
  • worthy
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

You might politely enquire of these cabinetmakers precisely which sections of the International Residential Code, 2018, which applies in California, set these requirements.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked worthy
  • RNmomof2 zone 5
    2 years ago

I get all of your points but don't cabinets that are shorter than normal mess up counters where they meet the stove that is now taller than the cabinet/counter? Kind of like the DW comment from the builder?

• BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

@RNmomof2 zone 5 if it's a cooktop and wall ovens, the cooktop would sit into the counter at any height, unlike a range.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked BlueberryBundtcake - 6a/5b MA
  • Jennifer K
    2 years ago

If you are very short, you might consider having pullout steps installed in your toe kicks, or having a single area that's lower, where you do most of your prep.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked Jennifer K
  • res2architect
    2 years ago

If you remove him from the bidders list he might change his mind.

If your counter top is less than 1 1/2" thick, lowering the cabinets an inch is awfully close to the maximum many ranges and dishwashers can be lowered. My advice is to avoid lowering the height of cabinets unless you are willing to use a cooktop and wall oven.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked res2architect
  • PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    2 years ago

You probably did not think of this option.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • JP Haus
    2 years ago

Our cabinets are shorter along the cooktop/wall ovens wall and standard height where the sink and dishwashers are going. I did not want a step, even a pull-out one, and with standard height lowers I cannot see into pots on the back of the cooktop since I was short and with age have become shorter.

There's a section of taller than standard cabinets as well for my husband and 6'5" son. They can comfortably do prep there.

We also have a large pantry with 10+ ft of drawers along one wall. They'll be just 32" high (plus counter) for my comfort.

I don't understand the builder's comment about the upper cabinets. In our kitchen, we'll only have uppers (to the ceiling) above the wall ovens and the built-in refrigerator, plus one tall stack beyond the 10 ft. sink counter. However, we will have a wall of uppers above the bar in the adjoining space. They're horizontal glass front cabinets with lift up doors and the bases will range from 52" above floor level over most of the counter to 64" above floor level over the bar sink, and they go to the ceiling (10 ft.)

One reason to build a custom home is to get something that fits you far better than a builder's tract house or even an expensive house built from a plan book. Is it ideal for resale? No, but it will suit us.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked JP Haus
  • mainenell
    2 years ago

One easy way to lower countertops 1” would be to use a 1/2” (2cm) thick countertop. There are some countertop materials that are manufactured in this thickness.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked mainenell
  • Jacqueline Amidala
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks everyone for the feedback. we are planning on a cooktop and wall oven. And I’m leaning towards an induction which will sit lower in the counter than all the gas cooktops I am used to so i may have solved the problem! or I get those nifty shoes recommeded by @Mark Bischak, Architect And if we do a standard DW instead of a drawer it should not be super obvious if that counter is standard height since it will be on a perpendicular wall with a door in the corner. I recently realized the apron front sink is great for shorter people so probably go that route as well. Yay ergonomics!

• arcy_gw
    2 years ago

Sorry it seems most posters aren't reading the OPs words. They have all the stove/dw height issues handled. No way there is code for this--unless one is building lower end rentals--then there are plenty of codes to protect poor people from shoddy owners...If this contractor is being that much of a pill at this stage--it's a red flag to MOVE ON!!

Jacqueline Amidala thanked arcy_gw
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

Universal Access kitchen design has sinks and cooktops that are set below 36 for wheelchair users. And remember some years back when kitchen design sometimes included a raised dishwasher? Code does not set kitchen counter height at 36"

Jacqueline Amidala thanked palimpsest
  • User
    2 years ago

Where distance between lowers and uppers is constrained is around the cooking surfaces, to prevent fire hazards. You could have a 30” table height ADA section with a cooktop, and as long as the uppers met the vertical and horizontal fire safety clearance required by the cooktop, it would be fine.

Common sense, which isn’t common, says leave enough vertical room for small appliances between lowers and uppers. But there are few areas which specifically call that out as a more restrictive code provision.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked User
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    2 years ago

I have done many kitchens with counters that are higher than the 36" and also lots of baking centers that are only 30" this si your preference and honestly the only things that create issues are DWs in all cases where counter height is an issue . We just changed our counters to a very thin materilal called stratificato from Italy it made my counters 1" lower than before . get a different custom guy or will be back here with more issues .BTW I do upper cabinets higher off the counter than the usual 18" too all my kitchens pass code.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • palimpsest
    2 years ago

Technically I think all your upper cabinets could sit On the countertop and as long as they met the horizontal distance requirements for combustible surfaces adjacent to the cooktop it would meet code. The code issue here would be electrical outlets and countertop.

Jacqueline Amidala thanked palimpsest
  • chispa
    2 years ago

A lower counter with a standard DW should not be an issues either. I just built a house and used a sink with an integrated drainboard that sits over the DW. My standard DW fit just fine, but we did have to remove the feet to give the drainboard enough clearance. I used a paneled DW so the panel was installed just bit higher than normal to cover the gap at top. No one will look at it and think it was installed 2" lower, it just blends in ... but I did have a GC that would work with me to make sure the design I wanted would work and look good.

I think the cabinet guy is waving a giant red flag at you ... make sure you pay attention!

I would also bet that his idea of "custom" is not the same as yours!

Jacqueline Amidala thanked chispa