Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oneira777

is all summer beauty the same as Endless summer/endless summer BS?

BM (pnw Zone 8b)
2 years ago

Hello everyone,

I want a long blooming hydrangea for the front of my house. I ordered a "All summer beauty" from a mail order company. After realizing it might not bloom on new wood, I tried to cancel the order.

The sales person is insisting that there is no difference between all summer beauty and Endless summer/endless summer bloomstruck. She says all summer beauty flowers on new wood.

Is this true? I saw many conflicting opinions when I googled it.

Comments (23)

• BM (pnw Zone 8b)
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you gardengal. In that case, I will try All summer beauty and see how it works out.

• Embothrium
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Endless Summer is a series of hydrangeas, the individual introduction you are talking about is The Original ('Bailmer').

About Endless Summer Hydrangeas From Bailey Nurseries

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Be that as it may, the "Original" was known just as Endless Summer for a half dozen years before there was any series with other introductions under that moniker and is still widely known and sold by that name to this date and will continue to be. When one refers to an "Endless Summer hydrangea", everyone knows which Endless Summer they are referring to!!

Since these are all registered trademark names anyway there is no need to get pedantic about it.

• kitasei2
    2 years ago

i appreciated the information, Embo!

• charles kidder
    2 years ago

I grew All Summer Beauty about 20 years ago. I got maybe a couple of blooms on new growth and no repeat blooms. I've had bad luck with endless summer too. I avoid macs because they just don't bloom reliably in my zone 7a yard.

• HU-471250084
    last month

Hydrangea.nl

Endless summer is the same as Hydrangea Semperflorens (old variety)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

I am not entirely clear what the intent of the previous comment is but Endless Summer, The Original is NOT the same as Hydrangea Semperflorens. In fact, Hydrangea Semperflorens is not recognized as a legitimate cultivar name by any Hydrangea resource or authority.

Endless Summer, The Original is the first reblooming or new wood flowering macrophylla to hit the horticultural world and be acknowledged as a legitimate, registered cultivar.

• HU-471250084
    last month

That's not thrue,

There was a court case between Bailmer and Pieter Zwijnenburg, and Bailmer lost the case

He could provite no evidence that Endless Summer was different from Semperflorens

There are more old spieces flowering on new wood like Ave Maria (The best one flowering)

Endless summer was a nice marketing strategy

We have a big collection standing here more than 700 species Hydrangea's

and semperflorens standing here more than 50 years

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

As I stated, since Hydrangea Semperflorens (or more correctly, Hydrangea macrophylla 'Semperflorens') is not recognized by any hydrangea resource or authority as a legitimate cultivar, I find that very difficult to accept. Why is there virtually NO published literature on this so-called "old" variety?

btw, I could also find NO evidence of a lawsuit involving Endless Summer. Anywhere. Not sure what Pieter Zwijnenburg has to do with anything - he has zero connection to either cultivar. And FWIW, Bailmer is the registered cultivar name for Endless Summer, not a person.

The previous poster is looking more like a spammer/troll than someone with actual valid or substantiated horticultural knowledge to share.

• HU-471250084
    last month

I knew Pieter Zwijnenburg and he was not lying

Hydrangea Book Esveld

• HU-471250084
    last month

Botanical name: Hydrangea macrophylla 'Semperflorens' syn.? 'All summer Beauty'

Dutch name: hydrangea, mophead hydrangea, farmer's hydrangea

Origin: introduction by Pieter Zwijnenburg, Netherlands 1980, *originally from Japan, commercialized there by a construction company (C.Mallet, Répertoire International des noms de cultivars - 2008-2009)

Description: Particularly flowery mophead hydrangea, blooms from June to November with large pink, violet-colored or beautiful light blue spherical flowers. Very winter hardy, also blooms on new wood, suitable for colder regions.

Height: 1.2 - 1.4 m

Width: 1.2 - 1.5 m

Shape: large and wide shrub, sometimes slightly drooping due to heavy flowers.

Inflorescence: profuse, large flowers, colored pink or light blue (in acidic soil = l. blue) usually large, smooth-edged sterile petals

Flowering period: very long, repeat flowering on new wood: June - November

Location: filtered sunlight, partial shade, even in shade possible

Water requirement: average, if more than 5 hours of sun = high

Winter hardiness: moderate - fair - good - very good

Use: - border - solitary - group planting

- pot plant - container plant

- dried flowers - cut flowers

Feedback

Webresultaat met sitelinks

• HU-471250084
    last month

Who is the spammer/troll ??

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month
    last modified: last month

Sorry but that is not supportable evidence. And/or is grossly out of date. There is no mention of Semperflorens anywhere on the Esveld website. Nor is there any locatable documentation to support the notion that Pieter Zwijnenburg had anything to do with its introduction.

Still not buying this without better documentation/proof.

• HU-471250084
    last month

Standing in this book written by van Gelderen ( company name Esveld )

• HU-471250084
    last month

• HU-471250084
    last month

• HU-471250084
    last month

We working with Firma Esveld

• HU-471250084
    last month

Look under the name Hydrangea macrophylla semperflorens ( bailmer endless summer)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

" Look under the name Hydrangea macrophylla semperflorens ( bailmer endless summer) "

I did.......multiple times. Absolutely nothing turned up that associated those two distinctly separate cultivars together. Nor any of the other allegations you made.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    last month

Because it may be referred to in a couple of dated European websites does not give it much veracity if it is not included in any global hydrangea references. And it is not! That omission is very telling.