Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aaron_schmohe

Need Shade Flower Recommendations

Aaron Schmohe
2 years ago

Hi All,

I have a very shaded garden that I planted with starter perennials two summers ago. I bought the Garden In a Box "Mountain Shadows" from Resource Central. It was comprised of flowers that do well in the shade. While most have survived the winters and continue to get more established I did have some that have not done super well.

Though I prefer to use perennials so that they continue to come up I have realized that many of them just bloom in the spring or intermittently during the year. Thus, many times I only have a green garden but very few flowers.

I'm hoping to get some recommendations on some flowers that do well in the shade and also bloom throughout the year. I could go with annuals too if that makes more sense.

This is what I currently have:

• Alpine Aster
  • Blue CranesBill
  • Carey Quinn Red Daylily
  • Clustered Bellflower
  • Corsican Violet
  • Crimson Star Columbine
  • Husker Red Penstemon
  • Pink Whirling Butterflies
  • Sticky Geranium
  • White Nancy Nettle

Thanks!

Comments (13)

• cecily 7A
    2 years ago

Where are you located (Nearest big city, state). How many hours of direct sun does this garden bed receive? Several of the plants on your list tolerate light shade but perform better in sun. However, light shade in Phoenix is different from light shade in Buffalo. You may need "full shade" plants. Anyhoo, most perennials bloom for a few weeks annually and sprinkling in annuals or perennials with colorful foliage is a good idea.

Aaron Schmohe thanked cecily 7A
  • indianagardengirl
    2 years ago

What Cecily said. Nearby big city/state will get you best suggestions.

Shade bloomers for later in the year, depending on your climate. These grow well for me in Indiana and are late summer to fall:

Astilbe

Chelone

Ligularia

Tricyrtis

If you consider shrubs, add

Hydrangea arborescens

Viburnum plicatum tomentosum ’Summer Snow’ blooms well for me in dappled shade

Aaron Schmohe thanked indianagardengirl
  • Marci
    2 years ago

USDA zone? Which way does your garden face? What is shading the garden? Oak trees, pine trees, buildings?

The thing about shade gardens is that most plants adapted to the shade will flower early in the season, before surrounding trees fully leaf out, so as to capitalize on sunlight. Even the aster you have is an early bloomer! There are other aster varieties that will bloom later in the summer and into the fall (you may want to look into the New England Aster).

You did not specify your geographical location, but you may want to look into local native shade plants and do some research into when they bloom. In my area, that means goldenrod, asters, cardinal flowers, and turtleheads.

Finally, a garden is an ongoing enterprise. You will have to experiment to figure out what will flourish on your particular plot.

Aaron Schmohe thanked Marci
  • everdebz
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Can you include a few low, flowering shrubs? spirea: Many species of Spiraea are used as ornamental plants in temperate climates, particularly for their showy clusters of dense flowers. Some species bloom in the spring, others in midsummer.

----- but which shrubs bloom on and off ?!

Aaron Schmohe thanked everdebz
  • Aaron Schmohe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Hi All, Thanks for your immediate comments!

I live in Westminster, Colorado. USDA zone is 6a. The garden faces mostly east and is in my front yard. I have a lot of trees and the garden is next to the front porch. Depending on the time of day there is very little direct light that reaches the garden.

I also am open to planting annuals to supplement any lack of flowers that the perennials have to offer thoughtout the year.

• Aaron Schmohe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Here is a video that hopefully tells more about the garden.

I'm not sure what the shrubs those are, they were there when I moved in. I didn't originally mention this but Northern Sea Oats Grass was included in the kit as you can see in the video. Additionally, Hastas come up that I didn't plant.

• getgoing100_7b_nj
    2 years ago

I second GG. Begonias, fuchsia, nemesia, torenia, browallia, nicotiana are excellent choices. Also bleeding heart and some fuchsia may be hardy enough to be perennial. I have found rozanne hardy geranium, stocks and petunias to also do relatively well with little sun.

Aaron Schmohe thanked getgoing100_7b_nj
  • De Zi
    2 years ago

Hostas, lamium,  lungwort, hucheras and hellebores.

Aaron Schmohe thanked De Zi
  • gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Heucheras and hellebores are only shade tolerant, not shade lovers! Both would prefer to be sited where they receive at least partial sun. In hot summer climates, morning sun is best. The heuchera colorings will be more intense and the hellebores will bloom better.

Aaron Schmohe thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
    2 years ago

Aaron, if you post a close up we can probably tell you what the shrubs are.

Aaron Schmohe thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    2 years ago

Hi Aaron, I'm late to the party but welcome to the Rocky Mountain garden forum. There are a few of us that live right near you. My front yard is also East-facing and pretty shady. There are not a lot of perennial flowers that will be happy there. I would focus on foliage. Exactly what De Zi recommended: Plenty of hostas!

You can really do some cool stuff in the Summer in containers around the area as well. Colorful coleus, begonias, caladiums, impatiens, pink polka dot plant are all very happy in the filtered sun. So are a lot of big statement tropical plants like giant elephant ears. In Colorado, these plants really enjoy the morning sun areas for the Summer. You can also put houseplants such as spider plants out there.

If you have a spot in the front there that gets a little bit more sun, you can also grow panicle hydrangeas. I have Little Lime and also Quick Fire growing there. Granted, they aren't going to get huge but they do fine and bloom in the late Summer. They do require a good amount of water, so I have them on drip.

I always recommend driving around and observing what does well in other people's gardens in your area for ideas. If you ever want to come check out my yard, you are welcome to. Just send me a message.

Aaron Schmohe thanked popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
  • Aaron Schmohe
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks, all. I didn't mention Hastas in the garden. There are about 4 of them that come up yearly. With the previous suggestions and more research, this is what I decided to try which are already sowed. I'm also setting up for the first time growing seedlings. @popmama (Colorado, USDA z5) - thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that.

Purple Dead Nettle

Red and Yellow Pansy

Mixed Colors Coleus

Virginia Bluebells

Heirloom Nicotiana

Mixed color Camellia inpatients

Japanese Toad Lily

For my front window Sill that gets a little more sun:

Strawberries & Cream English Daisy

Jonny jump up violet

White Clematis Virgins' Vines

Apple Snapdragon