Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janinroch

House vernacular: Home keeping, House Keeping, Cleaning,

JAN MOYER
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

What are the major differences in those terms, and why are they even important?

First, they are only important as they relate to what I shall refer to as House Lust. Briefly, that is the obsession with all the common questions here on Houzz, My paint color, kitchen .....what about this backsplash ......is this good or bad, a problem, not a problem, and on and on.

As designers, we are tasked with understanding a client, and understanding the life within any given home. Few things make us crazier than creating tailored to that client beauty and function, only to see it devolve. That "devolve" if you will, often stems from a lack of understanding of those terms above. It is baffling ( to me ) that for all the "design agony" that goes into any home or project, why does it so often seem to simply devolve? . Is it natural, can you avoid it, do you WANT to avoid it? Stop right here if you believe it's natural.

Home Keeping: The structure. Do the things that are supposed to work every day, actually work? Your roof doesn't leak, all the toilets flush, your gutters aren't clogged, the windows open and close easily. Your front stoop isn't crumbling, and your basement is dry. That sort of thing.

House Keeping: AHHHHH! Here she goes! Again. This is the daily keeping up. with things. The things from which nobody is spared, UNLESS you have an in home hired worker to follow you around, Failure to understand this term, is to derive little long term, or even short term satisfaction from all your deign effort. It's laundry and its completion, its dishwasher loading and unloading. Counter top wipe downs. The act of restoring a basic level of order and cleanliness daily. Trash cans emptied and out the door, pillows fluffed, Toys stowed. Clothes hung/folded/stowed or in the laundry basket. Beds made up , the quick fridge sort and wipe out before groceries bought. Meals prepared, eaten, and cleaned up post meal. House Keeping is All the small and ongoing messes of daily living , cleaned up/tidied up as they HAPPEN. It is an in the moment, within that day occurrence . The putting back of the out of place , "where does this go, and why is is it HERE?!" restore. It is now task, not "later" .

For those obsessed with beauty? It extends to the styling and embellishing aspects beyond the basic. Fresh flowers, neatly folded and hung towels, ....A quick "re org" of a drawer, closet, pantry.. It is important to understand that this is different than ...........dreaded or not?

Cleaning: The deeper version of House Keeping. The weekly , or at least bi weekly event that gets to the real grunge. The dust, the dirt, the grime. Gunk off the faucets, tub, shower, spots off the mirrors. Floors completely swept, mopped, carpeting and rugs vacuumed. Window sills dusted, blinds same. Sparkle restored to all the sinks. Sayonara to smudges and fingerprints. The level to which you do either of the above categories will vary by individual. You can do it yourself, or you can HIRE.

The hire: Know this: There is no magic. No "hire" can truly make up for a lack of House Keeping.

If you go this route, your results will be as good as the maintenance between cleanings. The person, the team....or you, will be in catch up mode. It will take longer. You will pay more. You will enjoy the fresh for a shorter period of time.....as the house devolves until the NEXT cleaning with failure to Keep House.

More brutal truth? Circle back to the point. Your backsplash, your white shaker cabinets and new counter tops. Your paint color, and your rugs. .......your "pops" of color, and long sought and perfected lighting.....right down to your lovely new sofa, accent chairs and ALL OF THE REST?

None of it will matter. NONE will shine in their brightest light. The designer whom you paid, your own inspo's and Instagram adventures, Pinterest Pins.....all of the EFFORT ? Will appear to disappear in the devolve.

Is this sad? Yes. Is it truth? Yes. Which is why I gave anyone who cares not, the "stop here" option: )

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

Wow, yes, Jan, putting it all in perspective.

The "dated" matters not if the whole house is in disrepair. I for one cannot understand anyone spending time and money on making a space liveable and beautiful and then letting it devolve into a mess. But then again, I've been accused of being a "neat freak."

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I won't go into what prompted the post. Won't tell you what to do. All I will tell you, is that the more you give yourself to manage? The more managing that will be required. Life is choice, so too are all the stated truths above. Do or don't do. If it takes six closets for your own clothes, if your kids need nine thousand toys and games to be amused? Fine. Your choice ! Sound off : :)

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Well Diana, I could have titled it like this:

" Why is my designer loading my dishwasher, wiping my counters, and restoring soap and TP to my powder room ......as we discuss the new chairs and lights for my kitchen.......?" : ) : )

Note that yesterday was the first day of Spring....and hence? New leaves soon, and perhaps a new 'leaf" for some. I can dream, right?

• tdemonti
    2 years ago

How so very interesting (smile) and I'm with you, Jan Moyer. I have difficulty with visual clutter and reeeally try to keep life simple (no shams, clear countertops, easy easy-care materials) but can we bring opposing forces such as husband, job, consuming follow-up with those who do their job poorly, etc.) ?

• Anna (6B/7A in MD)
    2 years ago

"The more you give yourself to manage? The more managing that will be required."

Exactly. And it applies to literally everything in your life, not just "stuff" but to hobbies, volunteer work, all the things you say "yes" to but probably shouldn't.

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

I have enough to do keeping my own house, there's not a scintilla of a chance I'd do any of that for a client.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Original Author
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

When you get the robot who scrubs the sink, takes the toothpaste goo off the mirror, sorts the laundry, inserts it into the machines and finishes the task to stowing where all that clean stuff goes? Let us know.

No solar panel, or smart phone app will be of use, unless attached to the robot who does what you do not want to do.....

WHICH is what the thread was about. : )

• Choco Bobo
    9 months ago
    last modified: 9 months ago

I have just saved this post. So many pearls of truth in your words, Jan

• Jennifer Hogan
    9 months ago

My mother kept the perfect home. Every drawer organized and neat, every piece of laundry washed and dried, ironed and neatly put away. Children washed and dressed, homework done, dinner on the table every night at 5:00. Repairs and updates and maintenance done on schedule. Spare gifts wrapped and put away with notecards that describe the content just in case someone stops by on their birthday or at Christmas or you or one of your kids gets a last minute invite to someone's home.

I used to berate myself for not being able to do it all, but at some point I decided to do the best I can, keep my home as nice as possible, but recognize that I work 60-80 hours a week and help care for my older siblings, running their errands, visiting, brining them what ever they want or need, helping them hang pictures or change light bulbs.

I just looked up in my office and see the cobwebs in the corners. Carpet needs vacuumed, furniture could use a good dusting, but in 5 years my older siblings may not be here any longer and if I got everything done every week I couldn't be spending the time helping them. I get 1/2 or 1/4 done every week, nothing sits in total disarray, but it isn't the way my mom kept things or even as good as I kept things when I was younger and had more energy.

I'm okay with this. There are things that are more important than having a perfectly clean home. Clean enough has become good enough.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    Original Author
    9 months ago

It's fine to pick your level of clean, beauty comfort and every aspect of home, really.

I often recommend a book:

......and the very wise kernel of wisdom among bunches that may not apply to you now, or never did apply ( maybe you don't HAVE a piano that would require tuning!!) ...is this:

You maintain a ( your choice/personal to YOU ) level of cleanliness, of order that ALLOWS for slippage when circumstances demand a more lax approach. Call them crunch spots in every life, because that IS life! The point? You won't suffer! You will have enough clean undies, towels....enough in your pantry to whip up a meal, or pack lunch for your kids. Your own devised routine in advance of chaos in life? SUSTAINS you and home. Yes it was written before a lot of the tech we now take for granted. It is still wise, and a wise and fascinating read