Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jasdip1

WWYD-----re: Elliott??

Jasdip
2 years ago

Quick back story. I had to put my cat Bud down suddenly the end of Feb.

Early in March a friend asked if I wanted to look after her niece's 2 cats for a couple of weeks. I got them Mar 5. It turned out that I could keep them, if I choose to. I offered to keep Elliott and returned Flossie last weekend.

Elliott is a loving cat.....very shy and timid. A cat toy scares him....not a noisy toy, a soft plush little ball, a plush turtle etc. He does chase his tail though for exercise!

He loves being with me, he nestles beside me or on me. I feel that the longer he stays with me, the more he'll come out of his shell. I'd love for him to meet people who come, no one will ever harm him, but he hides.

The home he came out of has 5 cats and a Shih Tzu. I can't imagine him being outgoing enough to engage or handle himself with all that. He and Flossie didn't hang out, except if one was on my lap, the other wanted on there as well. More of a jealousy relationship.

Now here's my quandary..

I saw blood in Elliott's pee today, and yesterday there was a dot of blood on the floor outside the kitty litter. I didn't know whether it was from urine or poop, but today I saw it. He doesn't cry in pain, ever, nor strain to pee.

Having just spent $2K on Bud, do I want to spend money on exams, x-rays and god know what kind of treatment for whatever it might be?? Should I give him back before we bond further, or would he have the best life he'll have, with me? I read that stress can cause this, he may have had it for a while, but just not noticeable with so many other cats using the litter boxes. I feel that his stress level would have been higher, than what it is now, with just me and having a very quiet environment.

Pic for cuteness.

Comments (21)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

I'd have him at least checked out for any kidney issues. Male cats can develop kidney stones very easily and the irritation can result in blood in the urine. Usually easily cured with a proper diet for renal issues.

My cat - a spayed female - also has this issue but no sign since she has been on Royal Canin Renal Support dry food.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

I would get him to the vet to find out what is going on and decide what to do from there. Either keep him and fix him up or make the decision to deal with end care or end things if it has to go that way. I would not give him back, he would be mine at this point. I chose him and he's trusting me.

Sounds weird, but miight be possible it's worse because he's starting to relax and not pent up anymore. Dietary and litterbox shifts. We had a cat show up at our door one day needing help- it had been wandering the yard for a few weeks and decided it was time to come meowing. After we brought her in and even had her prelimary vet check. Her butt glands went impacted and yeah, that was gross. Turned out between the change of diet and not being so very stressed whacked her out. Kind of like glutting out on food on vacation can make your insides not so great later. The vet explained it better than I probably am here.

But what Elliot has going on is obviously much more serious since it's a blood issue. I wanted to bring up that sometimes even good changes like forever home, especially if it was after a stressful home, can mess up our pets too. Your vet can find out.

I realize this can be extra scary or nervous after recently going through the whole vets and losing Bud. I can for sure feel on that one. But I would give Elliot a chance.

• chisue
    2 years ago

Is tail-chasing normal cat behavior? Could he have an anal problem?

• Jupidupi
    2 years ago

Years ago a vet told me that when a cat is suceptible to urinary problems, you should give them a little tomato paste every day. I did this with my cat and not only did it clear up the problem, but she loved it. I just put a little on her paw and she'd lick it off. Sometimes I'd put a little blob on her food and she'd eat it first, like a treat. I bought the tomato paste that comes in a tube so it would stay fresh. It's easy to try. See if it helps.

P.S. I agree about keeping Elliott. Whatever his condition, you're giving him his best life.

• patriciae_gw
    2 years ago

It can also be bladder stones. A vet can figure it out and it is easy to treat-usually with the choice of food and plenty of fluids. Once the inflammation is under control you often never see it again. I have had three cats with it. No problems once diagnosed.

• Chi
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I would take the cat in ASAP. Most likely it's something simple and inexpensive but if it's not treated, it could turn into something more costly.

I have a cat prone to urinary blockage, and that can become very expensive and life threatening if not caught early.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    2 years ago

That exact thing happened recently to my child. Quandary over the money. It was $90 for the entire deal. Exam and meds. Turned out ok. Yes, loads of fluids for UTI, and those are typical symptoms, especially common in male cats.

• notdancin
    2 years ago

I'm no cat lover and can't offer any advice, but boy, that is such a sweet face.

• Uptown Gal
    2 years ago

Poor little guy...please take him to the Vet.

• yeonassky
    2 years ago

I am sorry you are having this kind of stress so soon after Bud.

What a very sweet cat Elliot is though!

I'm in the if you can afford it Vet first then decide camp.

I like to decide something so important with as many facts as possible. That way my decision is based on what I truly can and cannot do mentally, emotionally and physically or all the above.

• lucillle
    2 years ago

Ask your friend to talk to the niece to see if Elliot has had any previous medical issues, just to give you a more complete picture.

or would he have the best life he'll have, with me?

Of course he would have his best possible future with you. You are kind, considerate, and you love cats. He sure is a handsome dude.

• colleenoz
    2 years ago

My cat does this when she gets stressed, she's rather nervy. It's happened about four times in her seven year life. The vet prescribes an antibiotic pill and it's over in a couple of days.

• Rose Pekelnicky
    2 years ago

If you give him back would they take him to the vet or ignore the problem. I think you should get him checked out yourself. You will also be lonely without him.

• PRO
    MDLN
    2 years ago

Could he be stressed because the other cat is no longer there? Cats get stressed due to change. Stress can alter the urine pH which can irritate the bladder causing cystitis. Please keep in mind even good changes can cause stress (think wedding, new kitchen, new house).

• petalique
    2 years ago

Jasdip, you are a kindhearted, sweet woman. Elliot is lovely and what an adorable face.

I have no advice, but I see others have made suggestions. I do recall reading that male cats might be better off eating a diet ?? low is ash??.

I hope Elliot gets better and I think with your love and patience, he might very well overcome his fearfulness. I bet youre already employing that sweet soft kitty voicd, butting his hear with yours (if he seems up for that), and purring. I suspect Elliot had had a too choatic environment is the past and might need time to mend is nerves.

I’m sorry that Bud had to leave. You are a wonderful furbaby momma, I can tell.

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

I’d have a hard time giving a pet back to someone who says ”you can keep him if you want.”

But obviously you need to think about if you’re ready for this. From what others are suggesting, sounds like the medical aspect shouldn’t be too bad. But there’s all the rest. It’s early enough that you wouldn’t look like a bad guy giving him back. 🙂

Good looking cat!

• Yayagal
    2 years ago

Amoxicillan is the drug that is given for cats with kidney issues. Here are online links for you. Just follow directions. Many people I know use this and the cat gets better. https://www.chewy.com/b/urinary-tract-kidneys-11616?gclid=Cj0KCQjw0PWRBhDKARIsAPKHFGhtwTqRbYHACX9QeT9O6o1U3y24kZ9dC8Cdc-8egujb0NlO4OS4YmQaAv_OEALw_wcB

• foodonastump
    2 years ago

I just read the update thread, doesn’t sound as easy as we hoped.

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

There's an update thread?