Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_231017379

Leather sofa from GW?

HU-231017379
2 years ago

Hi everyone, i am considering a leather sofa from gardner white, does anyone know anything about it or have any experience with it? Quality etc? Thank you in advance,

https://www.gardner-white.com/product/141786-aspen-127-leather-dual-power-reclining-sofa-with-3-recliners

Comments (11)

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

Sorry, I don't know about the companies quality, but I would be worried that the armrests aren't top grain leather. It doesn't state in the description. They don't even say what the sides and back are made of. I would question the manufacturer about the armrest material. If they are bonded leather with regular use the armrest will start peeling in a year..

HU-231017379 thanked functionthenlook
  • HU-231017379
    Original Author
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I really appreciate your time and help, I will definitely ask them that! Thank you.

For the sides and back, it says ”upholstered in material that simulates leather”..what material would ensure longevity in these locations?

• functionthenlook
    2 years ago

Honestly I don't know what is better for the sides and back. We have a leather lazy boy reclining love seat and the sides and back are made of split hide leather.

Several years ago we had a bonded leather recliner and within a year it started peeling where we sat and the arms, but the sides and back were fine. By 3 years it looked like a piece of trash and we threw it out. We should of thrown it out earlier, but it was so comfortable. So I don't know how long the sides and back would of lasted with the bonded leather.

HU-231017379 thanked functionthenlook
  • HU-231017379
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thank you so much, I really appreciate you taking the time to let me know that, and for the information!

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    2 years ago

Always best if you can swing it to buy all top grain leather everywhere. Other materials on the sides and back will age differently. Not a good look after a few years.

HU-231017379 thanked Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
  • HU-231017379
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, we have been thinking the same, after what you, functionthenlook, and my research is revealing. I really appreciate it! There is a Macy’s sofa which might fit that, and the houzz search results seem mixed on it, but would you or anyone else know if this is semi or full aniline? The Macy rep didn’t know..and the company website wasn’t helpful. (Nevio leather sectional)

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/nevio-5-pc-leather-l-shaped-sectional-sofa-with-3-power-recliners-articulating-headrests-created-for-macys?ID=3079003&tdp=cm_app~zMCOM-MMEW~xcm_zone~zPDP_ZONE_A~xcm_choiceId~zcidM11MVV-626fd474-13fc-4bae-b1d4-fe268c03abf2%40HB2%40Customers%2Balso%2Bshopped%2429391%243079003~xcm_pos~zPos3~xcm_srcCatID~z29391

thank you,

• clt3
    2 years ago

I don’t have the answer, but given the price, I would suspect not. We recently purchased a fabric sectional, not reclining, for almost 3 times that price.

HU-231017379 thanked clt3
  • HU-231017379
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Yes, it seems that it is not, i appreciate the feedback.

If a sofa is semi-aniline, with ”split sides and back”, would that age well with the semi-aniline portion, compared to a leather-match?

• HU-231017379
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was hoping more light could be shed on this:

”It is still leather and should wear closer to the top-grain than a vinyl or other synthetic leather type products.”

For a sofa that is top grain, with split on the sides on backs, how badly will that age/what would we notice, and how long would it take for that to be noticeable with moderate use?

Thank you,

• PRO
    Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture
    2 years ago

The split is still leather. Unlike top grain that is the first cut (the most soft and supple) the split is the 2nd cut. The top grain will always be the most durable as it had to protect the cow from the elements.

Here is a link to a blog that might be of some help in understanding the difference in top grain and split leathers.

The wear will depend on the use and the environment. The thing that will be the most noticeable will be in the feel. Split leathers are not soft. They are not treated like top grain leathers. Top grain leathers are tumbled for softness I don’t think spits are handled the same way.

Also, there will be an embossed grain pattern used on the split hides to mimic the look of the top grain. If your leather furniture is not free floating in your room not to worry. If it is depending on the brand will determine how much difference, there will be in the texture and color. The better the brand the better the match.

HU-231017379 thanked Wellington's Fine Leather Furniture