Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
helplesshouse

I've got $500 to make a kitchen

helplesshouse
2 years ago
last modified: 2 years ago

This is a recently acquired holiday home in france. Is there anything I can do to make it a functioning kitchen with only $500 by using repurposed or second hand stuff. It's got a sink. Main challenge is the layout.

Comments (129)

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Nice job! It looks good!

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

I agree! You are doing an awesome job!!

• scout
    2 years ago

I like the grey a lot better! Less busy! It's looking amazing!!

• Top and dream Tanya ! ( Tanya Baa ) Greb
    2 years ago

Sie brauchen neu fliesen, Küche, aber haben nicht zu viele Geld, es giebt sate, wo die leute will geben als gratis. Das hilft Ihnen verbessern ihre Wohnung !

• helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I was thinking it might be possible to put a small bistro table underneath that little nook, small enough for one person or two, at a push, but not so big as to interupt the space when walking to the sink or balcony? Maybe stools, or chairs that would tuck in, so as to minimise the space, or maybe a bench, with a folding table, not sure of the best options, any ideas appreciated. I just put that picture there to illustrate the size, probably need something in there as well. There was shelves originally but i took them out becasue they were not level.

• kazzh
    2 years ago

You are doing a great job. How about a dropside table ? A flexible way to have a table in your space.

helplesshouse thanked kazzh
  • RedRyder
    2 years ago

One, I love the grey wall! Great job. Two, I agree with @kazzh that a drop leaf table is ideal for your small space. Add two small wood chairs without arms and you have a “dining area”. How is the refinishing job coming along?

helplesshouse thanked RedRyder
  • njmomma
    2 years ago

Paint the back of the niche a different color and then add the art. It will be a nice backdrop.

helplesshouse thanked njmomma
  • shwshw
    2 years ago

You may be handy enough to build something like this that fits into your recessed space.

helplesshouse thanked shwshw
  • shwshw
    2 years ago

You could mount art on the underside of the table to be displayed when the table is up. Here’s where I stole the idea from. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B9FJNHZ/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&linkCode=ll1&tag=storart-20&linkId=9e57604a612a403a25c14798c3c395be&language=en_US

• beesneeds
    2 years ago

What a charming kitchen. I love the cabinet you picked up. And such a difference that just a bit of flooring and a wallpaper change makes!

helplesshouse thanked beesneeds
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Making a start on the cupboard

• JDMCCL
    2 years ago

Thanks for all the updates. I feel as if I’m watching a t v show!😀

helplesshouse thanked JDMCCL
  • ptreckel
    2 years ago

I do like the contrast of the natural wood on top with your paint!

helplesshouse thanked ptreckel
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I bought white undercoat and then added a bit of black and mixed it up to darken down the white. I'm still aiming for the navy blue as a topcoat if I can find a nice paint and colour. Didn't get anything yet though!

• helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I couldn't remove the hardware, i tried to prize it off, but it wouldn't move. I couldn't get anything in behind it. Does anyone have any tips for how to do that?

• helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

I hope other professional with painting experience see this one and comment, but when I cannot remove hardware (especially the gorgeous stuff like yours), I coat it with a thin coat of Vaseline to protect it from paint. Once the paint is dry on your cabinet, it will be easier to wipe the paint OFF your hardware if there is Vaseline protecting the metal from the paint. Not perfect, but if you have limited access to supplies, this might work.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

PS: If you ever encounter milk paint—yes, that is a thing!—on a cabinet and want to remove it…ammonia works. So if you find a table or cabinet that you like and want to strip the paint or get it down to bare wood…try ammonia before anything else.

• helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

@ptreckel Thanks very much for the vaseline tip and the milkpaint, I don't think i have ever heard of that before.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

Milk paint is undergoing a revival right now, but in its original form it was milk mixed with pigment and can often be found on wood items from the nineteenth and early twentieth century in the US. France? I am not sure about….but if paint remover doesn’t work, it might be milk paint! Then…try ammonia!

• helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Trying out a blue on the back of the cupboard, but i think it's too light. I'll have to go shopping tomorrow.

• katsamdave
    2 years ago

Another option is chalk paint. Not the paint you write on. This paint comes many colors, you do not need to prime and it covers anything. I have painted metal chairs with it and just finished painting a floor.

helplesshouse thanked katsamdave
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

This is how it looks after drying out. The undercoat turned out quite a nice colour as well. But I'm going shopping now to see what darker blue paint i can find

• kazzh
    2 years ago

Although I am a wood lover (i can't go past a deeply polished wood finish), your cabinet is coming up wonderfully. I actually like the light color, but can see that a deep blue/black toned navy will make for a rich finish.

Eagerly awaiting the polished top !

• RedRyder
    2 years ago

It has a slightly purple tint to it. Something a bit deeper navy might be better.

• anjiz
    2 years ago

Don’t know if you have access to Benjamin Moore paint there, but Hale Navy is one of my favorite colors. My walk-in pantry is Hale Navy with walnut countertops/shelves. The dining room built-in used to be in a different house with no space between the top and bottom parts. We repurposed it, painted and added granite shelf

helplesshouse thanked anjiz
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

I added black to the existing blue paint. still have to do the top

• helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Unfortunatley had a bit of a disaster with the cupboard top. The stain was called medium oak but it has ended up bright red. which i don't like. Any pro tips on how to get rid of it? Do i have to resand it again, or can i put something else on top of it? Quite disappointed on the cupboard top. Any ideas gratefully accepted.

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

It is how the old wood absorbed the stain. You can leave it and live with it or re sand and try a different stain, but I think that it will still go darker on you. Another option is to do a deep sanding of it and NOT stain it. Just clear coat/seal the top of it. That will preserve, for a while, the lighter natural color that you seem to like. Were you planning on using this unit for storage, or for food prep? That might change the recommendation on what to put on it (for health reasons).

• ptreckel
    2 years ago

(Actually, I like the color! But then….I liked the colored wallpaper! ;>)

• helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

Thanks @ptreckel, for your advice. i can't face another sanding, so will leave it for now, but definitely in the future will resand and then varnish it without stain.

• njmomma
    2 years ago

Looks beautiful!

helplesshouse thanked njmomma
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

• helplesshouse
    Original Author
    2 years ago

sorry, didn't mean to post the pictures twice, not sure how to remove them.

• JDMCCL
    2 years ago

Lovely

helplesshouse thanked JDMCCL
  • ptreckel
    2 years ago

It looks great! Good job!

• Amanda Smith
    2 years ago

Beautiful!

helplesshouse thanked Amanda Smith
  • ptreckel
    2 years ago

What’s next!?

• Amanda Smith
    2 years ago

I was thinking you could hang baskets as an inexpensive alternative to artwork.

• justcallmepool
    2 years ago

Oh I love it! And I think the hardware looks great too.
    If you haven’t added a poly or such to the top, you can try adding a different stain over it. Either something darker or a yellowish may change the shade a bit to something you can live with better.

This thread makes me want to buy those $1 homes in Italy and see what I can do with $500 ❣️

helplesshouse thanked justcallmepool
  • PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    2 years ago

Wow, I love the painted cupboard, and the top looks good too--like real wood ;)

You are very talented and determined!

helplesshouse thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
  • beadsnsew
    2 years ago

Beautiful!!

helplesshouse thanked beadsnsew
  • kazzh
    2 years ago

Ok you have won me over on painting! Good thinking on just adding black to the blue paint, it has come up such a rich deep color that looks great on the background of the grey toned wall. Have thought about sealing the top with wax and buffing? The photo's look like a deeper red, not a bright red which you describe, that appears quite attractive. I think it might be a process which requires repetition,  so it's whether you have the stamina!

• marylut
    2 years ago

On wooden top, if you didn’t use a stain with a poly, try General Finishes gel stain right over the stain you just applied.

helplesshouse thanked marylut
  • shwshw
    2 years ago

Great job!

helplesshouse thanked shwshw
  • Amanda Smith
    2 years ago

Very curious as to how you painted around the hardware….

helplesshouse thanked Amanda Smith
  • kculbers
    2 years ago

Beautiful!

helplesshouse thanked kculbers
  • helplesshouse
    Original Author
    last year

Well, I've had to go back to work for now. But hopefully, will see you all again in a month or two when i can finish off the kitchen. Thank you so much to everyone, it's been so much fun and a great help hearing all your fantastic ideas. REally appreciate your help. In the meantime, i painted the railings on the balcony navy blue to go with the kitchen cupboard and plan on fuschia pink for the shutters. :)