Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stephclarke311

Kraftmaid white oak cabinets with warm white

We are doing a complete kitchen renovation and using Kraftmaid (not the ones from big box stores) cabinets via a dealer / kitchen contractor. I am leaning toward a look similar to this inspiration image, with a mix of warm white, light oak, and black accents (we ordered a matte black Bluestar range with brass accents). My question for those who have worked with Kraftmaid cabinets is, how did you get this white oak look? When we visited the showroom they only had a finish called barley (see attached photo alongside the warm white cabinet) and it's reading to honey colored to me (it almost looks like our current cabinet color from the 90s!. So, I'm wondering if anyone has installed Kraftmaid cabinets with that lighter white oak finish I'm seeing all over now. See some inspiration images attached.

Comments (30)

• stephclarke311
    Original Author
    last year

Here's the current cabinet color samples I have.

• stephclarke311
    Original Author
    last year

@Debbi Washburn yeah the sample picture that I posted is a maple sample in barley stain that I grabbed from the showroom. I can get custom samples of any of the doors but just wanted to know if anyone had tried to achieve that white oak look with Kraftmaid. It doesn't seem like they have anything super close to it. I will call them to ask what kind of oak it is -- thanks! Wondering if we can get the cabinets from them and have them stained by someone else if they don't offer a stain close to what we want. I just want something a touch lighter and with a white hint to it.

• herbflavor
    last year
    last modified: last year

you want a specialty finish. here is CRYSTAL cabinetry with quartersawn oak with a similar finish. You would normally select the style and species and finish and then seek out which maker provides that to obtain the particulars you want. Durasupreme /Showplace/Shiloh//Crystal and a few others in the slightly elevated pricepoints from Kraftmaid. Usually Kraft MAID is selected for pretty good standard cabinets with good storage offerings ..but not chosen for select species or finishes. .

South Colorado Blvd - Rustic Transitional · More Info

• RedRyder
    last year

Your inspiration photos are quite stunning. The sample does not look like the same bleached wood. Please get a full sized door sample and make sure you are getting that pale, pale blond look.
    The other one ain’t it….🤨

• Rita Jackson
    last year

I originally selected barley too but didn’t like honey color so, I came across kraftsmaid Husk stained maple and love it although it has a little rustic imperfections which I actually like.

stephclarke311 thanked Rita Jackson
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

white oak look?

Sorry, but why don't you just use actual White Oak cabinets?

https://www.durasupreme.com/blog/quarter-sawn-white-oak-for-the-win/

Forget trying to pick a stain.

Just do a natural, rift sawn or quarter sawn white oak

this island is a natural Rustic Alder, and she partnered w/Kraftmaid

https://www.maisondepax.com/rustic-modern-kitchen-cabinets/

https://www.homebunch.com/kitchen-renovation-how-to-mix-white-and-stained-white-oak-cabinets/

• stephclarke311
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : I do want to use white oak - I am asking if anyone has gotten that using Kfraftmaid cabinets. As others suggested - I need to call to ask what kind of oak they have, since it’s not clear on their site nor did i found a look i liked in the samples at the showroom. Since a lot of people on here have experience with Kraftmaid, I thought someone might have an answer. From what i’m learning it sounds like there are similar options but nothing exact. I have read that some are using white oak with a very light stain, sometimes mixed with a touch of white paint.

• stephclarke311
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : I love the Durasupreme cabinet options in the link you posted! Unfortunately, we already signed a contract with a kitchen desinger and i dont think they are a dealer of Durasupreme. I had no idea that I should research the color of cabinet i wanted before deciding on the kitchen company we went with! I sort of assumed they all had some version of the same thing 🤷‍♀️

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

aren't they nice looking? check w/your designer. maybe she can get them, or see if kraftmaid has something similar?

A lot of those white oak cabs you see are natural white oak. red oak won't look the same.

if she can't get the oak, look into the rustic alder w/a nice stain

• stephclarke311
    Original Author
    last year

@Beth H. : Yes, they are beautiful and exactly what I want.

I'm hoping I can find something similar within one of the companies that our kitchen designer works with. Our contract already includes Kraftmaid but they don't seem to have white oak. Thanks for your input!

• PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    last year

I can understand having a contract to use the designer, but not being able to change the cabinet brand? Reread that contract... seems odd.

• stephclarke311
    Original Author
    last year

@Debbi Washburn we can change the cabinet brand to another they work with. Currently trying to find one that offers the quartersawn white oak - many don't! The Durasurpeme brand isn't one our contractor / design team works with and I have also heard some bad reviews on them even if we could. So the search continues...we just need to order them soon in order to stay on schedule, which is already very delayed!

• Verbo
    last year

KM uses red oak. No white oak. If you want white oak, youll need to move up the food chain, and the price chain. By a lot. It’s really in demand, and thus scarce and expensive right now. More than walnut $$$$ if you want good quality.

• PRO
    Elaine Gauthier Art
    last year

I understand the dilemma. I have been searching for this look for about a year. Yes, I start with the cabinet companies, but most here (Northeast) do not carry white oak. Tedd Wood does carry white oak, has great reviews, but unfortunately not the exact color we want. I have only found three cabinet stores that carry white oak in our area. This look has not caught on in this area yet as 90% of new kitchens are still white as I have been told.

• stephclarke311
    Original Author
    last year

@Verbo @Elaine Gauthier Art I think my kitchen guy may have found something. He dropped off samples of quarter sawn white oak from Evoke cabinets in a bunch of different finishes. Its a bit more expensive but not crazy and there are few good ones!

• Tacy Boles
    last year

Might as well go with Barley Kraftmaid. I just went through this process too. My priority is no orange, no red undertones. I decided Barley was the closest that wasn’t too rustic.

• stephclarke311
    Original Author
    last year

@Tacy Boles would love to see a picture of your kitchen with the barley KM cabinets. As of right now we found a quartersawn white oak in a stain that is light from Evoke cabinets. It's a touch more expensive but I think we're going to do it. Just waiting for the final pricing confirmation...

• Tacy Boles
    last year

I would have loved that but couldn’t find with the cabinet guy I went with. This is my current kitchen, awaiting cabinets

• Tacy Boles
    last year

Current

• Tacy Boles
    last year

Cabinets ready in garage

• krispy9
    last year

We are currently going through the process and am looking for a similar option. It is so hard and for the price point I cannot afford to go above KM. Looking forward to see how your kitchen turns out.

• rosifer
    last year

We got KM quartersawn oak cabs. They do appear to be red oak, not white oak. Looks nice with husk suede stain.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

Quartersawn is going to be a lot more rustic/grainy looking than riftsawn or plainsawn.

Riftsawn^

Quarter sawn:

and make sure it's white oak and not red.

Durasupreme

white oak stained in coriander. this is beautiful

The Napa is nice. I'm sure this style and wood isn't cheap!

• krispy9
    last year

Beth H. That looks so gorgeous and $$$. Thanks for sharing.

• Lauren Carroll
    last year

How did your evoke cabinets turn out Steve? Would love to see a picture.

• cee Mildner
    last year

Beth H. I'm going with classic rift white oak but don't know how to achieve a softer finish/color as the clear brings out the yellow and grain too much. any suggestion for me and my cabinet guy? love THE PICS OF the white and natural oak kitchen you posted. What stain can be used to soften and de-yellow. thank you Cee

• stephclarke311
    Original Author
    last year

We ended up with Evoke by RD Henry cabinets in quarter sawn white oak in what’s called Fisherman’s Wharf. Our reno isn’t finished but I really LOVE the wood finished cabinets (we did a combo of wood, white, and black…yes, three colors). I will post finals when it’s all tied together but here are a couple in progress

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    last year

cee Mildner. check into some of the bona finishes. they have a whitewash/natural combo you could use

Steph, those look really nice! Love the combo! please post a final pic when all finished.

• jamiekowalski1
    6 months ago

Steph, do you have a final pic? I’m in the same dilemma and the progress looks great so far!!